Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Issues installing Win10

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 17:52 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 20:08
My mom has an Asus X550CA laptop that came with Windows 8 on it. It's been having a lot of problems making it unusable, and 8 wasn't that great to begin with. I've talked her into upgrading to 10. Problem is, I can't get it installed. I've tried a bootable USB drive that I made, the actual DVD from the store (yes I'm legit here), then another USB created by a MS tool.

After reinstalling numerous times I thought it finally work but gets stuck in a reboot loop. Wiped it again, and I'm back to this error again and again:

(image is from online, ignore the server/hyper title)

I'm currently trying to update the bios. I've tried every other solution I can think of. Internet hasn't been much help either. I reformatted multiple times, changed the drive to mbr and let the installation reconfigure it for gpt. I'm pretty sure the laptop boots with UEFI, but I see no options in the bios to enable any kind of legacy support. I'm wondering if that is causing my issues.

Current error I get on the bootup is 0xc000021a. I've tried every known answer on the internet and nothing works.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 21:25
This time I tried the DVD again. Can't even finish the install from it.

"windows could not set the offline locale information error code 0x80fe0000"

Answers on the internet? Re-download the ISO or use another USB. But it's a store bought dvd!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 01:31
chkdsk fixed numerous issues apparently. I still haven't gotten anywhere. Can't boot up. Says an error happened then reboots into a diagnostic mode where scan disk just sits at 66% for hours. I've installed Win95 from floppy faster than this.

Can I install windows to an external harddrive? Then just slap it back into the laptop
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

TomToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 11:55 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 11:59
Try downloading the iso from the Microsoft website. Use the key on the dvd when it asks for one. This gives you two advantages 1) you have a good copy, no worries if the dvd is damaged, and 2) you will have the latest version, so no worries about sitting for 96 hours while it installs all the latest update

ETA: do not install onto an external drive with a different computer. Windows 10 locks itself to whatever system it was installed on and cannot be swapped for another system.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 12:08
Quote: "Try downloading the iso from the Microsoft website"

I tried that using their creation tool.

Quote: "do not install onto an external drive with a different computer. Windows 10 locks itself to whatever system it was installed on and cannot be swapped for another system."

well drat, I was hoping I could just make a bit copy of my desktop image and change the key on the laptop.

I'd call MS support but I tried that once 10 years ago when updates wouldn't install. After my gf spent 2 hours on the phone with them I took over the call and instantly asked for a manager when the tech agent asked me what's a router. 5min later we fixed the issue. I don't have the patience these days to deal with tech support that incompetent.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 17:33
Sounds like it might be a bad hard drive personally
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 18:00
Actually, I'm starting to lean towards that myself. I'm going to see if I have a spare drive lying around to fit the laptop and try that. My mom has already agreed to buy Win10, I hate to tell her she needs a harddrive too.

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 16:57
Resolved the issue, it was a bad harddrive afterall. Unfortunately, the only spare 2.5 I had (that worked) was only 75GB. It's enough for my mom, still have 50GB free. I had a 250GB WD, but after formatting the installer said windows cannot install to it because the drive may be damaged.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:07:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:07:42