Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 01:13 Edited at: 28th Oct 2018 01:18
a simple off-road game i've been tinkering with for the past week or so using built-in heightmap + 3d physics functions (in the vein of a dbpro "classic" Sunday Drivers by ermes).

will update when i have some basic ai in play.

btw: i love the hokey 3d trucks so much, i might just keep them
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 07:38
awesome ! It's a good start
I do what i do !!!
Dustin Shaffer
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks rad. Reminds me of a NES game I used to play called R.C. PRO-AM. I played the heck out of that game and your game looks like it will be 1000 times funner.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2018 03:08 Edited at: 14th Nov 2018 09:14
After an hour of wondering why my truck was driving in reverse, i realized i had saved the truck model rotated 180 degrees

Anyway, basic AI in place:

the pointer above the truck is a cheat to determine y angle to the next checkpoint to assist with steering using

it works most of the time (when the pointer is green, it's applying angular velocity) and i think i know why it isn't working all of the time:

i'm comparing the truck's (local) object angle y to the (world) target angle ... but the local angle has to be off when it's rotated on the x and z axis, as well. any thoughts on solving? NMD: i wasn't doing this correctly.

meanwhile, another mystery is that, even though the AI truck's linear velocity is the same value (as is method of application), it literally moves slower than the human-controlled truck...

otherwise, a little "road rage" at the end to take out frustration; i lost (and the ai truck seems to be laughing at me).
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2018 14:14
This looks vevry interesting
13/0
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2018 21:29 Edited at: 14th Nov 2018 21:41
heh. i'm having fun with it.

spawning 20 trucks and watching the mosh pit:

i knew the monotonous tune i added caused rage, but 75,000 tons of pixels-worth?

meanwhile, i added buttons and such to get it android-ready. once i get a re-spawn function going, i'll kick out a (windows) demo (i've never sent anything to google play, so... that will come later).

btw: the (simple) AI is sorted and i was able to kick up the speed and still keep things pretty much upright (~46 seconds per lap vs the ~2 mins in the vid above) .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2018 08:12 Edited at: 15th Nov 2018 18:49
Down and Dirty™ Demo attached = 16 trucks vying for the fastest Lap! (best i've seen is ~0:43)

Controls:
ArrowKeys to drive +
[ESC] to Quit
[R]eset Truck
[C]amera
[M]usic
[W]aypointer
[TAB] Toggles On-Screen data (you're #99 at the bottom of the queue)

The Course runs 17 Checkpoints on a 4x4 Grid:

The [W]aypointer can guide you through if you need it.

Incapacitated Trucks should Reset after 3 Seconds of shame! (once they spread out, there shouldn't be many rollovers or plunges off the heightmap)

I did have one instance where my truck wouldn't move with no idea why; Hence, the manual [R]eset function added.

Otherwise, try to break it (before they break you!)

Add: i let it run all night in the overhead cam view resulting in anywhere from 751-759 laps each, the best of which was 43.25".
Meanwhile, it lost the arrowkeys again (last time was in overhead view, as well). [R]eset brought 'em back. The truck isn't supposed to sleep; maybe it is anyway?
Also, lost the "motor" sound. i'm attributing both to AppGameKit and the fact that my computer went into hibernation overnight, but they were still spitting dirt ~750 laps later, so no complaints.

Attachments

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2018 20:54
Awesome stuff!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2018 00:06 Edited at: 16th Nov 2018 00:06
thanks for the cheers, guys! i'm having fun with this project. i've got speeds up by 50% (~30" laps) = a little more of the "flying" trucks i'd hoped for. and, more of the "rock & roll" aspect, too.

i've printed the code and reviewed (~300- lines that should be ~250 or less), anticipating re-structure (for the 2nd time) for the next phase (importing heightmaps & settings).

i found why AI trucks were @ 50% speed & (hopefully) why the player truck would fall asleep. lesson learned: reviewing code outside of the IDE gives perspective!

keeping "everything" in my head resulted in something similar to:

more to come

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2019 09:20 Edited at: 24th Dec 2019 09:23
re-visiting this and patched together a "holiday" version.

frantic. frozen. fun.

HTML on itch.io plays better in a browser than i expected it to.

give it a shot?

happy holidays, fellow creators!
G-Breaker WIP and Itch.io Page.

Attachments

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2019 00:04
Very nice matey. Merry Christmas to you too
tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2019 11:18
Nice game Virtual Nomad,

I do most of my game development on my RPi4 and it runs great on the browser!
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2020 11:42
Nice one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:39:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:39:53