Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Fulcrum Physics problem- Missing Library PhysXCooking.lib

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2018 06:12 Edited at: 16th Dec 2018 06:14
The Title pretty much says it all, I am a bit confused because I have an NxCooking.lib in my PhysX folder, did names get changed somewhere along the way?

I must add, I believe I have the DLL for this file but no .lib for the SDK.
Sphere sphere = new Sphere(0.5f);
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 05:59 Edited at: 18th Dec 2018 06:08
I was recently just trying to install Fulcrum Physics to use for the first time. It was compiled with a specific version of the NVIDIA PhysX SDK, which is unfortunately impossible to download anymore. I think it was 2.8.3? I managed to find and download 2.8.0 and 2.8.1, but I didn't bother trying to use either of those because I don't want to waste time chasing after version incompatibilities. I think I'll just stick with Sparky's for now.

Anyway more to the point, I found PhysXCooking.lib and PhysXCore.lib on my machine:
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine\v2.8.3

As I recall, those folders were installed by the runtime PhysX:
PhysX_9.09.1112_SystemSoftware.exe

P.S. Here's a tiny thread that contains a link to download that file (it still works):
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/164727
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 06:11
Sparky does not do physics does it? Collision is not so much the issue but the response is.

I downloaded the 2.8.1 SDK, I am running into issues but I do not believe its so much related to that. The problem I am having is getting caused by Microsoft not leaving well enough alone and their exception handler in the older runtime libraries does not match up with current day only because they removed a single reference in exception::exception(char* const &); . I tried rewriting the header file and re-implementing the function myself but it does not recompile the runtime lib so that is a no go.

The main issue is because I am using the DarkGDK version compiled for new VC while these various physics libraries, Darkphysics, Dynamix, Fulcrum, ALL are using the older function definitions and the obj files are looking for that exception method and can not find it.

I do not forsee any way to fix this without recompiling the source for the physics libraries

To be honest.... I have wasted much time, I could have written simple collision response physics in the time I have spent attempting to get one of these working... It all stems from that old exception handler and its frustrating as hell... thats life I guess.
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 06:14
It's not life, it's Microsoft They're notorious!

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 06:36
Hmmm, I was just thinking.... Would dynamically linking to a DLL have the same problem? For instance if I just loaded up the DLL for things like Darkphysics I should not have issues with the obj file containing references to exception::exception(char * const &)

I am sure microsoft had some sort of reason for removing the reference but Ill be damned if i know what it is...
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 09:18
I have no idea...

Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 17:47
Is fine, I needed physics and I found and ODEphysics library inside one of the Darkgdk source projects that compiles however I do not know how to use it. I tried ODE_MakeDynamicSphere(ID); only to have it give me access violation. IDK i'll figure it out I guess.
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2018 00:10 Edited at: 19th Dec 2018 00:22
I haven't noticed anything like that in the source code. Don't know if this'll help, but I found the ODE website and documentation (having nothing to do with DarkGDK). I couldn't find the command MakeDynamicSphere(). Maybe it's a wrapper.

http://www.ode.org/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/opende/

This domain is expired:
http://www.ode-wiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manual

But you can access a past version of it on WayBackMachine. I'd post a direct link, but apparently the links only work temporarily.

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2018 00:16 Edited at: 19th Dec 2018 00:18
Oh hey, check this out. WickedX is apparently the one who added it:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/212643

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/search?q=ODE+physics&type=threads&boardid=

Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2018 02:30
In the DarkGDK is function signatures start with ODE_ and are included with #include"DarkSDKOdePhysics.h" I found it while poking through the source the other day. I basically have my DarkGDK code setup the exact same way wizard has his Darkbasic code setup however when I attempt to call ODE_MakeDynamicSphere(ObjectID); ( or any object for that matter) I get an Access violation error. Still do not know why, its acting like something has yet to be created but being unsure of the whole process I don't know what...

BTW, the comment SI had about the SQRT function at the end... It is a waste of time. I have benchmarked extensively various fast square-root functions and found there to be no difference, fastsqrt is hard implemented into a CPU these days, you are basically attempting a software implementation of something that is hardcoded into the chip now. Sqrt still sucks but no difference will be see using any sort of fast sqrt algorithm.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2018 22:34
Hey I am looking here, is it possible that DarkPhysics got compiled into the Updated DarkGDK so that all I would need to do is utilize the header for the function declarations without needing to link the DarkPhysics.lib which contains the problems with the Visual CRT legacy exception handler?
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2018 03:27 Edited at: 20th Dec 2018 03:28
Should be easy enough to try. But I don't have DarkPhysics and I haven't a clue. The source code I'm using is my own private offshoot from the "official" latest version. The latest distributed version though is WickedX's offshoot from that same "official" latest version. He's made tons of additional fixes and improvements. So assuming you're using his source code, I'd say tag and ask him, assuming that's the DarkGDK source code you're using.

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
If you're using c++ why not just use the latest PhysX SDK ?
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2019 00:18
Well, I am not fully sure how Hotline, I have experience(minor) with PhysX but not fully sure how to integrate it with DarkGDK objects. Would I just create the sim and position my gdk objects accordingly?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0WGoCiVQxMdPxZZkqFks1g?view_as=subscriber
Discord: https://discord.gg/sQazuty

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:21:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:21:30