Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / (DBPRO) PRANK: the WHITE WINDOW OF HELL

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 03:06 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 03:21
WARNING: Don't run this snippet if you are unsure of what it does or if you didn't understand clearly what is written down here.

I was playing around with DBPro and found this strange property of the window manipulation functions.

Check this out:

IMPORTANT: Once you run this code, the White Window of Hell will apear and start blinking on your screen and it is IMPOSSIBLE to close it even with the Task Manager.

To get rid of it, you'll need to log out or restart your machine.

WHY THIS HAPPENS:

When you use the HIDE WINDOW command, the window is hidden (duuh!) but, when you use any window resizing command, it must be un-hidden for a little while to apply the change. Once it was resized, it is hidden again automatically.
When you hide the window, it is also hidden in the Task Manager and when it is resized, it is shown there for half a second and then it goes away. It appears and disappears so fast you can't even select it before it goes away, making it impossible to close it by force.
The same happens to the window controls. ALT+F4 doesn't work because the window is not there for long enough to the command to be applied, then it CAN'T BE CLOSED BY ANY EXISTING WAYS!
Logging out and restarting kill it, Windows seem to have no problem taking care of it by itself - at least in Windows 10, I don't know how it will behave in older versions.

My idea here was to prank you a little, in part because it happened with me when I compiled this stuff and couldn't close it (it was running while I was posting this).
Other thing: think what DBPro can do if used for evil purposes. I didn't heard of viruses or bad commands written in DBPro, but this little piece of code shows that YES, DBPro can do bad things.
For example, if you DISABLE SYSTEM KEYS and use SET MOUSE POSITION to make mouse outside of the screen, you CAN'T CLOSE IT BY LOGGING OFF OR RESTARTING because you CAN'T CLICK ANYWHERE OR USE ALT+TAB TO RETRIEVE CONTROL OF YOUR COMPUTER! The only way, with these commands, would be pushing out the plug and rebooting manually by turning off the power. Not a virus, but think how terrible it could look if happened to a newbie user.

God is real - except if declared as integer.
NotKyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 09:50
Neat.

I haven't run your code yet, but have you tried this? Hold the Windows key and press R -> cmd -> taskkill /F /IM "my dbpro app.exe"

Or clicking the "Details" tab in Task Manager and choosing the process this flashing window belongs to?

Certainly any programming language capable of making arbitrary system calls would be able to invoke malicious behavior (so long as certain operations aren't blocked anyway)... While this isn't unique to Dark Basic, or uncommon, the general method can certainly be used to prank friends.
Starshyne Emir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 16:41
I never heard of the "taskkill" command. Thank you for sharing this. I believe the vast majority of the Windows users don't know how to kill tasks using command line, but obviously with this my WWoH application dies fast and soft.
God is real - except if declared as integer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:39:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:39:01