Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Mouse Look on Mac OS in AGKS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2019 21:26
Can anybody tell me if this mouse look issue is working or has been updated in AGKS as no one from TGC can seem to be bothered to comment. It’s a MacOS specific problem.

Would like to know before I upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 04:16
No it has not. AppGameKit Studio has all the same Mac issues as the latest version of AppGameKit Classic.

So far we have, mouse look bug, vSync() bug and a major FPS drop over previous versions. None of this has had any official response or fixes for months. As much as I love AppGameKit I'm beginning to worry that the Mac side is becoming a side project as bugs are just being ignored and treated as "We can't find the issue" followed by ignoring it all together. For example the IDE issues on retina Mac is months old and while Paul has said he doesn't know what the issue is that isn't really acceptable for customers. OK, you don't, then pay someone else who does. Sorry if that sounds mean but if you want a quality product with a good reputation then as a company you HAVE to sort these long term issues out.

If you can't get a platform stable then ditch it. I'd rather have that than a build up of issues on a particular platform. The Mac side has been getting bugs creeping in for ages and while one issue has been sorted ( the device width ) others are just getting ignored as if its too difficult to solve or it's just not important enough.

I know TGC have AppGameKit Studio as their priority but the exact same issues are present here too. Brand new product, same old issues. I've bought AppGameKit Studio Alpha in the hope that these issues will be resolved. I enjoy AppGameKit a whole load and would love to spend many more years developing with it but if these key basic sides are going to remain broke then what other option will I have than to ditch it?

Harsh post I know but for the love of God, fix the basics on all platforms before updating to new shiny things.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 10:14
Not a harsh post at all. You just want these show stoppers fixed. +1 to your post Qube.
Imaginations' greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 21:52
Isn't AppGameKit S just still AppGameKit classic for now with a different IDE to which they'll later add the Vulkan engine?
So then indeed *all* the previous bugs will be pressent..
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 22:04
Yes
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 22:57
Why is a fix for this not being addressed as a priority?
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 18:51
I'm not a Mac user, but I'm pretty sure this should be high priority for stops people from using AppGameKit on Mac *or* explain to people what they're doing wrong(if that is the case of course) *or* please explain why it is such an hard to fix issue?
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 20:58 Edited at: 17th Mar 2019 21:02
Place a bug report on the AppGameKit Studio GitHub if you haven't already https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGK-Studio/issues if enough users comment requesting a fix the bug will move up the priority list quickly, bugs with the AppGameKit Classic renderer will be present in Studio at the moment as the exact same renderer is used in this version.

Bugs are fixed on a priority basis so if there are only a few MAC OS users reporting the issue and there are PC bugs with hundreds of reports the PC issues will naturally be fixed first, TGC are a small team and need to prioritize if you want a fix get it on the list. The alpha is having a lot of bug fixes added to it all the time so I would suggest now is the best time to report this on GitHub and get some attention to it.

Posting on these forums won't really help anything get fixed quicker TGC aren't using the forums for bug reports, the forums are great for discussion but the GitHub issues tracker is very important.
Windows 10, Intel i7 4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA RTX 2060

Steveotronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 09:44
So it’s a core command that doesn’t work the same across all platforms, in both AppGameKit classic and your new software, yet it’s not a high priority?

You can check the forums fine when you want feedback, but not when there are issues to fix and new stuff to sell?

I’m sorry but this is a load of rubbish.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 11:30
As stated there is a process for logging and getting a bug resolved, post on GitHub and it will get fixed if it isn't there is won't get fixed. You also need to be patient there is a lot to do and it will get fixed.

Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 11:41
I posted a bug report on github.

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGK-Studio/issues/173
Steveotronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 13:21
Before or after you have sold everyone the update and released it? Give me a break.

Thanks for posting the bug report imagination engineer, I appreciate that.

I won’t hold my breath though, prob check back in July/August.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 13:50 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2019 13:51
@Steveotronic

You have your answer, there is no need for the attitude, just have patience the team will work on all the bugs.

Steveotronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 15:09
I happen to think there is a need for the attitude, as you are requesting your users go to another site to do what I feel is part of your job.

Not only that but you are stating that if enough users go to this other site and comment then a bug will get fixed. No matter if it’s something small for one platform, or for multiple. you state on the website, write once and deploy to multiple devices which technically isn’t the case.

You also say that the core website for the community isn’t checked by TGC for issues. That to me seems fundamentally wrong.

The patience thing is what gets me the most, the issue apparently dates back to 2017, but because maybe we didn’t use the github site, it wasn’t fixed.

It just seems wrong to me. THIS site is the important one. Someone should be checking this every day, and communicating with the team.

I hope you have a good day. Sorry again if you think the attitude isn’t valid. But I think it is.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 15:38
Well, lets just concentrate on peacefullness. The bug has been there since 2017 but it's now filed and the important thing for us to do is to get as many people as we can who need it fixed to post on GitHub requesting it be fixed.

I understand that there is frustration as it has been a fix that has been needed since 2017. Hopefully it'll be looked at now as a priority fix that is needed. Again, lets forget how long it's been there and concentrate on gathering people affected by the bug to post on github so that it doesn't linger anymore.

Oh, Peace and love to all.

Steveotronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 15:55
You are correct, we should focus on getting as many people as possible over there.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 16:06
Quote: "I happen to think there is a need for the attitude, as you are requesting your users go to another site to do what I feel is part of your job. "

Attitude wont get you anywhere it will only get you a ban (you don't catch bees with vinegar)

If you want a bug to be fixed you have to file the bug on the GitHub, or would you rather the software developers to spend half there day reading through the forums looking
for reported bugs so they can spend the next half of the day fixing them

As for why the the rest of the team dont report it most of us are just like yourself we dont get paid and we volunteer our time to help people with there problems. There is a thread
at the top of each programming forum that explains how to report a bug. Sometimes code is needed to prove its a bug as some form of example just saying something is a bug
doesnt really mean anything as the developer migvht have tested it to the best of their ability and found no bugs. If you have found a bug and have a short piece of code that
demonstrates the bug place the code as a snippet and then they have code to test. Theres lots of reasons why it could be causing the problem and often its very machine independant
the bug which makes it even harder to fix. Out of about 100 bugs people post on the forum like this 95 of them are some user error.

fubar
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 16:54 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2019 16:56
As fubarpk suggests the reason we don't check for bugs here is it is a waste of developer time trawling through hundreds/thousands of posts to check for the few actual bugs. 90% of what is posted here is just discussion or questions often another user resolves the issue half way through the thread (meaning TGC wasted their time reading) or someone posts a bug half way through a thread and expects TGC to just happen upon it. It is much more efficient to get users to discuss issues here, work out which are bugs and then log them in a tool designed for that exact job and then TGC action them from there and also all users can see really easily if their bug has already been reported.

AppGameKit Classic didn't use this system which is likely why it got missed for so long, the whole idea of the new system is to avoid these exact situations where bugs a missed for a long time.

Embrace the change it is helping TGC become more efficient in fixing things.

That said reporting the bug now and saying it has been outstanding since 2017 doesn't automatically jump it up the priority list, Studio is a new product with its own bugs and some are even more pressing to fix especially during the alpha.

Steveotronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 17:29
You know what I give up. You seem to be missing my point or I’m missing yours. Just ban me, I’m past caring now.

@fubarpk I never asked mods to do anything.

I posted code in the original linked forum post.

I don’t get the way you do things, but I hope the new way will make everything more efficient.

Good luck with everything. One Dev less to worry about now.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2019 09:54
@ The Next:
Aside from the attitude thing of people feeling left in the dark somewhat(which I can understand a little), I can also understand, realize and appreciate you guys can't check each and everything at the same time, especially now and are pretty busy - working hard.

That this forum is now apparently solely seen as a users-helping-users forum (which I didn't experience it like in the past, perhaps I'm wrong?), is a bit of an odd surprise, probably to many.
Perhaps I didn't read the guidelines(nope, I didn't actually )

But ( and I don't mean to be overly critical here) what I do *not* understand about this is:
- If so, why did we have pinned posts like Feature Requests in the past on this site, if not looked into? Would explain a few unsolved issues people been complaining about indeed though.
If things changed over time, that's fine, but I don't think the message came across well enough. Maybe rename it to something like: AppGameKit User-To-User coding chat. That would make it more clear instantly.
- Besides that: if we all move over to GitHub, wouldn't it be getting just as busy there as is here, giving you guys a hard time and a major headache to filter out stuff?

Anyways, keep up the good work guys, like what I see so far, even though I have my own wish list.
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2019 10:53 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2019 15:38
Would it be possible to add a similar github reporting repair thread system to the AppGameKit Studio message board?
That should help ALL.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2019 13:44 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2019 13:51
Quote: "That this forum is now apparently solely seen as a users-helping-users forum"

Not at all the developers still check here routinely and are communicating with users, all we are saying is there is a system to report bugs now which is GitHub because it is better and more organised. Nothing else will change just we won't be actioning bugs on the forums as we have one home for all bugs on GitHub.

Quote: "If so, why did we have pinned posts like Feature Requests in the past on this site, if not looked into?"

GitHub is a new way of managing things with AppGameKit Studio, so in the past the team tried to monitor the threads on the forums for feature requests and bugs and it obviously wasn't the most efficient. This system is only for AppGameKit Studio at this stage and we hope it will work better than the team trying to find things on the forum. One place for all bugs seems like a better idea to me.

Quote: "Besides that: if we all move over to GitHub, wouldn't it be getting just as busy there as is here, giving you guys a hard time and a major headache to filter out stuff? "

Not at all GitHub will be kept very clean if someone hasn't done their research and is posting something that isn't a bug or hasn't been confirmed first it will be deleted or marked as not a bug.

To be clear GitHub is for bugs that are confirmed and need fixing and they should only be posted once the user can provide steps to reproduce and knows it isn't user error. If someone posts a duplicate it will be deleted/redirected to the first one.

GitHub is used for this exact job by thousands of companies and works really well, far better than forums do.

I just want to reiterate the forums have one job and GitHub has another, both have their place. Hope that helps explain things.

Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2019 21:28
@The Next:

Thanks ever so kind for clearing this up, for I think lots of people are still confused/unaware about this change, even though there's a sticky post referring to GitHub on top of the page I now noticed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:33:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:33:44