Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Product and forum fragmentation

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I’ve mentioned it in another post but want to raise it again because it also affects the forum....

Why on earth wasn’t AppGameKit Studio simply called AppGameKit 3?! It makes no sense to me to be splitting the community into separate forums when all the coding questions will be applicable to both products etc.

The word “studio” isn’t going to make a jot of difference in marketing IMO. It’s just been an unnecessary and unhelpful fragmentation. I don’t normally grumble here but I just think that was a mid-step.

I’ve bought AGKS and looking forward to using it when it’s stable, before this sounds like a “left behinder” grumble! ?
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 10:39
Quote: "Why on earth wasn’t AppGameKit Studio simply called AppGameKit 3"

I suppose that the term 'studio" reflects the assets drag & drop feature.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 11:08
The reason a new forum section was setup up is that AppGameKit Studio is a totally new IDE which will come with its own bugs, feature requests, questions and so on... It will get confusing if all this is rolled in with the AppGameKit Classic boards as a user posting a question may not explain what version they are using.

Language questions may also not yield the same results in both versions especially once the new renderer is introduced so we wanted to keep that separate.
Windows 10, Intel i7 4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA RTX 2060

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah it makes sense IMHO. I guess the version on Steam will be renamed to AppGameKit Classic eventually?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 14:30
totally makes sense, I mean you wouldn't want to keep putting a tag of [AGK2] or [AGK Studio] for every post and some users would most likely forget unless tags were prompted prior to posting like the GameGuru forums.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why on earth wasn’t AppGameKit Studio simply called AppGameKit 3?! It makes no sense to me.....The word “studio” isn’t going to make a jot of difference"

Actually it does. Studio suggesting you get a complete package, an all-in-one tool. And I believe this is the direction TGC is going forward by including a drag 'n drop level editor and asset manager.
I can't wait to see what the workflow is going to be like with the integrated level editor.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 09:51
Why not AppGameKit Pro?
-EdzUp
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 16:46
@EdzUp

I think "AppGameKit Pro" sounds more like a higher tier of the base AppGameKit. "AppGameKit Studio" is more apt as it indicated a new product line and for the reasons above that it is a suite of products.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I’m used to 3D software where they just call it SoftwareName v1, then SoftwareName v2 etc when they add a bunch of new features. There’s never an issue with people discussing in forums, they just say “in version x or y”

Fine, if “studio” helps TGC but is the next version going to be called something totally new again with its own forum etc?!?! Not good for brand recognition or the notion of continuity of support.

Dark basic, then dark basic pro, then app game kit, then app game kit studio... they’re all the same ultimately, a coding platform, but with growing features (targets, commands, asset management).

Maybe it’s just me.

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 19:47 Edited at: 13th Mar 2019 19:49
Quote: "Dark basic, then dark basic pro, then app game kit, then app game kit studio... they’re all the same ultimately, a coding platform, but with growing features (targets, commands, asset management). "

That is like saying Visual basic and C++ are the same because they are both programming languages.

DB and DBP are different products and the same forum for those would not have been suitable, they had a lot of differences. Just like the same forums for DBP and AppGameKit wouldn't have worked as the languages were totally different and so were the IDEs.

I don't see why there would be an issue with brand recognition the AppGameKit logo is the same with a tagline, the name is the same just with a extra word tagged on to reflect the new suite of tools. Everyone can recognise the name and know it is still AppGameKit, studio tells you a lot more than V3.

The reason for a big change of name between AppGameKit and DBP was because they were not the same product in anyway and TGC wanted to move in a new direction to apps with AppGameKit, which DBP didn't do so the same brand name doesn't apply.

Quote: "There’s never an issue with people discussing in forums, they just say “in version x or y” "

How many times in the AppGameKit forum have people mentioned their version number, I don't think I have ever seen someone do that without first being asked.

I think this is more about personal preference than it actually being a real problem. This is the route TGC have decided to take and it does look like it works well on keeping the forums organised, as each product has its place.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:06:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:06:43