Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Are Tier 2 Templates available anywhere?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 05:47
Good day everyone.

Just like with AppGameKit Classic, the Tier 2 projects were available in the program folder upon installation. Are they available with Studio right now? Or is it only Tier 1 with Basic for studio at the moment?
Eisenstadt Studio: Eisenstadtstudio.com
Composers Page: Milesthatch.net
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 07:55
During the alpha releases studio is all about the IDE. The compiler and language is still classic and only tier 1. So to use tier 2 you have to have the classic install. Hopefully by release time that studio will have tier 2 with the new engine but right now studio is all about IDE and using classic for the backend.
Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 12:16
Hey Dark Raven, are you saying we will be able to use AGKS to write C++ code?
Thanks.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 12:18
any C/C+ code would be written in MS Visual Studio.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 12:44
Hi Bored of the Rings, so if you write exclusively with C++ there is little reason to purchase the new studio?
Thanks.
RobbSnow
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mdj

It is worth it for just the scene editor. Hopefully Tier 2 will be able to use them on release or soon after.
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 16:22
Man, if the scene editor could do 3D, I'd say it would be worth the upgrade. AppGameKit Classic will be phased out eventually so with that being said, perhaps upgrading to studio is inevitable either way.
Eisenstadt Studio: Eisenstadtstudio.com
Composers Page: Milesthatch.net
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 18:29 Edited at: 4th Apr 2019 18:30
I guess they ship Tier 2 with AGKS as soon as they have something worth for Tier 2 users to play with.
Vulkan isn't ready yet and I hope they want to add some more features so there isn't much interesting for Tier 2 users, except maybe the scene editor as mentioned above.
But with the new Vulcan pipeline neatly wrapped in a bunch of functions/methods Tier 2 users will get something worth it.
Again I have no insider knowledge on this one, I just put the pieces together.
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 08:17
Just like the rest, no insider information, just a lot of reading threads and stuff. On the c++ front we'll have to see how the AppGameKit developers implement the improvements that Vulkan brings over Opengl.
But from what I've read of Vulkan, it could be an improvement in the graphics system over the Opengl engine but we'll have to see. On the tier 1 side the ide in studio looks like it is going in the right
direction on modernizing just hope it doesn't gather cobwebs once released like the Visual Editor seems to have.

Honestly I'm just hoping there is more than just an improved graphics system underneath the hood but we'll have to see once they get the engine fully working.
Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 14:02
Thanks for the response Robb.
I am asking questions over on the studio roadmap thread.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224053
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
in the future new commands will be added to AGKS only, so it's better to buy it now at a discount, so when it's released and new features come out you can move over from AppGameKit to AGKS

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:32:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:32:55