Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / AGKVR [DLC / Steam Edition]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 08:22
So after a few days of "Evaluating" AppGameKit (Version 2) and AGKVR... specifically I acquired the Steam Version because I had assumed it would just "Work" without any needless setup, this has frustratingly not been my experience.

Now bare in mind that I'm not trying to support any "Special" Platforms., such-as Mobile / Linux / etc.
I'm purely focused on Windows 10 / PC and Xbox (One) Development and Support.
Honestly, I'm fine with AppGameKit not supporting Xbox (One), although strictly speaking I've had no (major) issues getting the Tier 2 (C++ Middleware) running on Xbox Dev Mode... but it does require a little setup to wrap it into a Universal Application Package.

Still, that this isn't a Default option within Tier 1 (BASIC Development Environment) … well it's strange, as I'd have thought supporting UWP would've made sense.
In any case... that's not strictly the current frustration I'm dealing with.

No, what I'm having an issue with is that the Demonstration (Pre-Built) Runtimes for AGKVR don't Dispatch to the Windows Mixed Reality HMD (Dell VR118) … they do Render to Screen, and I can see that it has zero issues with Tracking the HMD Movement but yeah the HMD itself entered "Standby" (so not a Black Screen, but the Screens shutdown with the AppGameKit Demos Runtimes running).
I'm also not sure, but while it supports all of the Input Controls from the WMR Motion Controllers … it doesn't track their movement.

Note, this isn't because it doesn't work in Steam VR., as it does "Fine" … I mean the Image is a bit Blurry and the Control Update Frequency is disgustingly (like 45-60Hz Vs. 90Hz of the Display) but otherwise it's "Okay", certainly works well enough for Testing / Prototype Purposes; at least from Unity 4/5.
So I'm left a little baffled as to why AppGameKit is simply not dispatching to the HMD.

I figured that maybe the Pre-Build was with an older version of the AGKVR, that maybe was entirely focused on VIVE / Oculus Support; that's not uncommon.
But when I went to build the Project, so I had a baseline to then tinker with; I noticed NONE of the AGKVR Commands are Highlighted … I tried to Run/Compile and it says "AGKVR is either not Installed or Unavailable on this Platform" … so I then checked the "Installed Plug-Ins" and noticed it's simply not present there., not Unchecked but just doesn't exist as far as AGK2 is concerned; although under DLC it is present.

The Help was... well not Helpful as it just says "If you have the Steam Version, then you Automatically have it setup ready to Go... just remember to copy across the OpenVR.dll to any New Projects that use VR"
And as a note, the VR Sample from the Main Help supports Oculus Go or something; it's Mobile Only., which you'd think would have an Emulation Mode for Development but whatever.
Still, it's weird how the Commands aren't available as part of the Browser-Based Help... instead they're only available via the PDF.

I'm sure I can just use the WMR Toolkit with Tier 2 … not yet really looked to see how difficult it would be to integrate, but it somewhat defeats the point in a Middleware and of course also means the purchase of the AGKVR becomes basically useless; as well at that point it's not that much more work to make a Plug-In but sorta purchased the AGKVR (or had hoped) to avoid the need to do such.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2019 19:41 Edited at: 14th Apr 2019 19:44
does it support WMR? originally it was indeed only for vive or rift - you can see at the bottom here, not sure if that has changed since though?
when i'm at my PC i'll check where the files should be and see if we can figure out why your AppGameKit is giving you an error - the commands aren't normally highlighted but it should definitely compile
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2019 13:37
do you mean the dlc is not showing in your steam list? how about if you open the dlc tab in the properties from steam?
if you have the plug in set up correctly you should have a file under this sort of path
Quote: "Steam\SteamApps\common\App Game Kit 2\DLC\AppGameKitVR\OpenVR"

when you make an app it should have the openvr_api.dll and steam_api64.dll files in the project folder and then a plugin folder which contains the AGKVR folder with windows.dll (this one is added automatically with the #import_plugin AGKVR i think)
life's one big game
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2019 17:32
The Steam Store both states it supports any OpenVR Compatible HMD and Controls (which WMR is) as well as showcasing the WMR Logo., but Steam doesn't have any form of App Validation System...
Now it does show as DLC both On-Steam and In-AGK … but it doesn't show on the Selectable (Enable / Disable) Plug-In Menu (like the other Plug-In DLL from the Plug-In SDK).

Beyond this., it isn't just my own (attempted) projects that fail to compile with the message "This is not available for this Platform" … but all of the VR Sample/Example Projects that were packaged with it.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2019 21:31 Edited at: 16th Apr 2019 21:33
yh it does look like it should now support WMR
somebody else said they had to update their graphics driver to make it display on the rift - i know it's not quite the same and if you can get image outside of AppGameKit i'm not sure it would be the issue but might be worth giving it a try?
otherwise i can't really see you can do much except message ron erickson and see if he can help you directly
life's one big game
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2019 23:27
The issue the other guy was having, was that their Integrated Graphics was being set as the Default Output (obviously the VR HDMI not being connected to such) and a simple Driver Update to reset this helped them.

I do not have any Integrated (or Secondary) Graphics., well not strictly speaking... Windows 10 does register each Compute Complex as another Device.
So for my RX 480 this means 2 Devices., and Radeon VII this means 4 Devices.

Still as they all output to the same HDMI., this shouldn't be an issue.
What _might_ be an issue is that WMR creates a Dedicated Display Output (labelled WMR)., which can also Clone from the Primary Display; but OpenVR doesn't care about that; as it searches for the HMD then requests the Display Context from the HMD itself as opposed from the Windows Display Context List.

As I said though., I'm not sure if there is something special or not I need to do to get it to output to the HMD, as well I can't even Compile / Run the Examples from AppGameKit itself (because of the "Error this isn't Compatible with your Platform... blah blah blah…" nonsense that is a Error not a Warning; and thus I'm restricted for the actual output to however it's setup in the Pre-Compiled Runtimes; which have said behaviour.

< • >

I never even noticed when I bought it that it isn't Official VR Support from TGC and instead is a 3rd Party … but given it's Branded as if it is from TGC., and even is packaged in the Official AppGameKit Packs from TGC., that comes across as it's Officially Licensed and Branded; meaning TGC *should* be responsible for ensuring it works "As Advertised"

Still... as it stands I have ZERO intention of chasing down the original Creator (who may or may not be around anymore) just to try to get this resolved.

< • >

What I'd be curious about is the interest in a Windows Mixed Reality (VR / AR) Expansion Library?
As if I were to build one just for myself., then I won't bother as I might as well just not use AppGameKit (BASIC) … but IF there was enough interest., then that would validate the time and effort require to put such together.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:31:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:31:30