Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / NEED HELP Performing elegant install of Dark Basic Pro on Windows 10 (will not correctly compile & run)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
After spending literal days trying to get the GitHub version of DBP to compile a project I've migrated from an older machine (that had a stitched-together revival of the last official purchase copy of DBP), I began to wonder if there's some proper way to install DBP that I haven't heard of. Considering Microsoft is cutting support for Windows 7 next year (and the fact that the hardware is simply aged to an alarming degree), it's no longer viable in the future for me to keep running DBP on soon-to-be ancient systems. The ONLY way I personally had a successful copy of DBP running is by copying all the files from the ONE computer that had an actual purchased copy (yes it's that old) on to a couple flash drives and re-entering the directory paths once moved. After how long, it just really doesn't make sense that this is the only way considering other people appear to be running it just fine. It almost feels like a secret-club to get in to of actual working copies of DBP on a modern OS without jerry-rigging it and, I simply want in ..plz? I'll bake cookies or something.

Literal issue insofar as I can tell with git-version:
- It compiles into the windows temp-directory and attempts to run from there even upon project being saved.
- Relocated files into the C:/program files(x86)/DBP directory (i made) .. it no longer attempts to run from temp but still doesn't actually compile and run the .exe correctly
- It claims it compiled correctly but even the generated .exe file does nothing.
- The Hello World project it came with DOES work and can be modified and compiled, but.. what makes that one so unique ?
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2019 02:58
Quote: "The ONLY way I personally had a successful copy of DBP running is by copying all the files from the ONE computer that had an actual purchased copy (yes it's that old) on to a couple flash drives and re-entering the directory paths once moved."

That's actually the cleanest way to do it at this point and what i do myself. It doesn't really need to be "installed" it works fine as a portable application straight off the flash drive.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2019 03:34
I have used Dark Basic Professional on every version of Windows since XP and have never had one single issue installing or running it. I would agree your best bet is to copy over from your working copy. I install it in the folder “Program Files” on an external drive myself. You will need to add this to your registry. Modify the paths in this file and name it “Dark Basic.reg”. Then click on the file to add it to the registry. Now change the FullPath in your Launch.cfg file.

Dark Basic.reg
locecode
Years of Service
User Offline
I never knew there was flash drive dark basic pro install's.
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2019 09:25 Edited at: 12th May 2019 12:17
You mean, .. what I've been doing is essentially the best way? I just gave a second (less salty) attempt and literally moved the entire directory to, and then from, dropbox onto my new main pc. Was frustrated with the help files not loading when (and I don't know why i didn't realize this before; must've been the 'salty' thing ) I noticed they're all .HTM files! So instead of doing too much research on how DBP's browser works, I simply bookmarked the introduction page in my browser . It seems to compile just fine, and.. it just appears to work. Haven't tried any larger-scale programs than simple things but i think, .. it'll work! I'm not quite sure how anyone's supposed to solidly get a copy working who didn't already have one but I'm quite thankful for mine! Thanks for pointing out that I didn't really need to find a re-invention of the wheel

[UPDATE]
Tried compiling the default projects, the sourcecode of my game, the code for the tests for making the sequel, and... it all just works Pretty happy right now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:29:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:29:13