Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is dishonour to your name in life worth honour in eternity?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 20:04
There was this story,I think it's somewhere at sacred-texts.com,but I read it in a different place,a book.It was about a Viking King,whose family had been murdered by another viking,a minstrel.Once the King's scouts captured the minstrel,and brought him to Eric(the King).The king's wife was shouting at him to kill Egil(the minstrel),she would not bear the dishonour of Eric lettying someone who had killed his own family walk away.But the king allowed Egil to live for a night(he would allow him to live that night because he was going to have a feast),and Egil got no sleep,instead he sat down amongst some basement toads and composed a whole grand,massive HUGE poem in his head-it was his art.So,the next day,he recited the poem at the King's court,it was this great poem and it was praising Eric as a great king...After he finished reciting,Eric's wife shouted again for Egil to die,but Eric said no.He let Egil go.What most sources don't clearly say is that when Eric let him go,he knew that his name would be dishonoured for the rest of his life...but it would shine in eternity,thanks to Egil's poem.So,what do you think- is your honour in life worth sacrificing,for honour in eternity?

I gots to go.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't really suppose it does

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 20:56
Totally depends on your philosophy. The Chinese believed that honor in life was the same as honor in the afterlife, and those who did dishonorable things in life would curse themselves and their ancestral line for eternity when they died, unless one of their surviving family memebers redeemed them.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:55
bacon...

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:25:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:25:46