Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / To Raven...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:08
Hey I just got my GeForve FX 5700 and put it in my CPU.
I instalesd all of the drivers. Then I go into the cor clock speed
and some other clock speed and highter them up some. Then my
screen turend all pink and wavey. I loged out of WIN XP and
switched to a dif user. No prob there for a whille. then onece
again Pink. So now I just uninstall my driver restart my CPU
then install it again didnt tuch the cor clock speed and it runs fine. I just wont to if you know if there in some way I could have dameged my card in any way??

Thanks

I dont know how to spell
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:13
Why exactly is this directed to Raven then?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:14
nope, probably just a slight incompatibility between your particular card and the bus speed of your motherboard.

it also might have something to do with your Color Correction, been hearing about some problems via that when people use thier DVI leads.

your card will be fine, even if you did do that for a long time; the most it would actually do is cause a slight depolerisation in the red tube in your CRT Monitor - nothing that a little degaussing doesn't fixx

when i have more time i'll talk to you more, see if i can't figure out what actually caused it exactly and howto get around it

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:15
thinking about it, could even be your leads aren't fully plugged in or your monitor leads are getting old; thought that normally causes a blue hue rather than pink ^_^

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:23
when I got my TI It did the same thing but there were a patern of
colors and it dident work. So I had to git a new one. also when
the option to chang the core clock speed is selected It tells me
that changing these speeds may couse dameg to the hardwar. Right
now it runs fine I downloaded the NV FX demo of the old truck. That
runs very good. But I dont wont anything in my card to be dameged.
If its dameged in any way would there be a way to find out?

I dont know how to spell
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:25
Quote: "Why exactly is this directed to Raven then?"

Hes the only person on these forms that knows about cards.
If any one Ide ask him.

I dont know how to spell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:30
NO, YOU FOOL! YOU'VE CRISPED THE WHOLE THING! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:39
if it is damaged there are a few things that would be a giveaway...
- games start to hang your computer
- the card's bios dialog comes up garbled
- windows fails to recognise it
- it just plainly fails to initilise
- it starts to smell and smoke

that last one is a funny one for me, cause i was at a mates house and he'd got himself a Voodoo5 and was like... "what me overclock this sucker and see how fast the FSAA goes." so i was like oki.
well a few minutes into playing Quake3 with lovely chrisp graphics and we start to smell something. we opened up his case has his new voodoo was like begining to smoke...

thankfully alot of processor chips are actually built to take quite a bit of punishment, particularly the Voodoo series were. So we cooled it down and left it for a day plugged it back in and it worked fine at the normal speed.
just funny how he'd overclocked a 250mhz chip to 350mhz thinking that it'll be fine lol

there are also some diagnostic tools on the nvidia website, might want to check them out and make sure everything is fine.
doing a system caps' from Start//Programs//Accessories//System Tools
might be an idea, because if anything is garbled in the callback or not present when it should be then you might've done something.

but that warning is really more there to protect nvidia's ass, in the unlikely event something does break

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 21:59
So basicley I put the setings to hight and it just went unstabe
and made the screen Pink and fuzey. There was no smoke it hapend like
20 sec after I set the options. There was a mes saying my options
are to Hight and if I wonted to reset them. It runs ok
I tryed all of the derect3d test and sayed nothings rong with the tests. My games run ok. I just worrie to much about these kind of things, but thanks Raven for your help.

I dont know how to spell
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 23:12 Edited at: 25th Dec 2003 23:13
Quote: "Hes the only person on these forms that knows about cards.
"

Just because he knows alot about video cards doesn't mean others don't.

There are always 2 kinds of people here. Or so it seems.
Those that can't stand Raven and those that worship him.
Well anyway I'll go away now.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 00:10
Raven dosen't know half he pretends to know about video cards. He acts like he knows everything, but the truth is about 1/4 of the his facts are made up on the spot, particularly when he's trying to trash ATI. He's said things like the ATI 8000 line dosen't support hardware T&L, which is completely untrue, just to try and make ATI less credible. He's also said that nVidia never cheated at 3dMark, which they did (just google it and you'll find loads of information).

And I think the fact that he still pretends to have tested Doom III, Half-Life II and Windows Longhorn-- oh, and he owns the right to Diablo and works at Blizzard-- smashes his credibility into the dust.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 00:21
o_Ok

Found whats rong. I Auto select the speeds, the screen flicerd
for 30 sec and yhaoo. My speed on a demo of myne went up from
59fps to 75fps. So then I got a little itchey and hightered the speeds a little more and the same problem Pink. so reseted the
speeds on another user and the refresh rate to 75hrz and back to normal. I dont think anything is rong. it just made my VGA unstable.
Whatever that is. Just unstable.

I dont know how to spell
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 08:11
@mouse:

Quote: "owns the right to Diablo"

Thanks you've made my day with that one...

@Slayer:

It's simple, if you over clock a device, there always a risk of it becoming unstable, or damaged from excess heat. It sounds like youre device has just become unstable at the bumped clock.

It's generally better to bump in small steps, then bench mark the machine for stability over a set time period (at least an hour or more). In the case of Gfx card, this might mean running 3Dmark or a 'few' games. You want to be sure (as best as we can) that all part of the chip are functioning correctly at this new speed.

There's various over clocking sites out there though, it's prolly best to check those for what the consensus is regarding what hardware and over clocking it.

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 09:46
I could get into the raven complaining, but.. it's christmas, and my B-day, so i don't wanna ruin it with to much typing...

So i'll cut it very short..

Raven, is as we say, a Webcondriac. In other words, if its on the net, he has immediatly tried it. He also has quite the, shall i say, imagination...

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 09:47
Many sites have reviews on cards soley based on their overclocking value and stability compared to other cards . Of course, remember that there is always an element of luck involved. You're playing russian roulette with your card. Well, it's not that dangerous

FOCAIDASD, geri.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
once i overclocked a 486 dx 75mhz to 120mhz and it made my aztech galazy sound blaster 16 and my matrox mystiqe 4mb card go screwed until i but it back to about 100mhz and it was fine

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 00:47
Sigh.

If only I was a mod, Geri .

FOCAIDASD, geri.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 01:06
Mouse - Oh but I am Any bright ideas?

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 01:07
My advice would be don't overclock your graphics card for the sake of it. Wait until it's performing like it's been castrated before you overclock. There's no real noticable difference between 50 and 70 fps (there shouldn't be anyway) and it's a known fact that overclocking shortens the life of your card.

Computer components wear out and die (even chipsets) eventually, because electronic devices get hot and this courses all manner of low level problems. At the normal clock rates, this is so minor that the hardware can last for a very long time. As soon as you start going over the manufacterers spec, you're going into territoty that the manufacter deems to put excess stress on the hardware. This is why it's not set like that to start with. Although many cards can happily be overclocked with no apparent ill effects, by running the card at this higher clock speed, you are shortening the life, even if it's only shortening it to 10 years of use etc.

By overclocking it too far, you will have damaged the card. It's unlikely to have damaged any of the functionality, and will most likely run fine, but you will have shortened it's life - probably by very little, but possibly more. The point is, if you don't need to overclock, then it's just not worth it. There's a reason why you generally have to download registry hacks or tweak software to overclock cards, and thats because manufacters don't support it and recognise it's gonna damage the hardware.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 01:40
For sure. Chips last a good time. 15 years sounds about right to me. I know you don't need your hardware to last that long, but a highly overclocked card/CPU that seems to be working fine could last as little as 6 months if its running on its limit.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 01:59
Funny isnt it that I don't overclock at all, even though my PC is over 2 years old now, but I have a cooler master alloy tower blah blah thing with 4 cooling fans. Only reason I got that was because my old P700, without any overclocking, used to overheat in the summer. It used to beep beep beep and the PC would hang for a few seconds and then it would carry on again. Used to have to get my desk fan, take the side off the case and point it at the CPU.

I vowed, never again will my CPU overheat.

And the cooler master case does look sh*t hot as well. hehe

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 02:42
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Raven is a joker. He told me his gf once threw this laptop out the window cause he made her wait. I laughed my ass off.

Anywy, what's over-cloaking? :S

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 06:41 Edited at: 27th Dec 2003 06:41
Quote: "Raven is a joker. He told me his gf once threw this laptop out the window cause he made her wait. I laughed my ass off."

I wish I hade a girlfrend to do that to me. To bad Im a big nerd LOL.

I dont know how to spell
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 09:05
ahh i think i understand the problem, something similar happens with my CTX monitors
hehee i also happen to understand the work around too
email me and i'll give you what to do; be better than having to deal with the morons around here.

Quote: "oh, and he owns the right to Diablo and works at Blizzard-- smashes his credibility into the dust."

Why the hell would i claim that?
i mean a) i hate the game, b) i hate the game, c) i have nothing to do with it's development (as it's done) oh yeah and d) I HATE THE GAME

but i'm sure no doubt you lil webmonkies will try to figure a way to prove i did, you seem quite creative with editing txt up :-P

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
divide by zero - that could not have been my problem because you can only use pci with pentiums, it was isa

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 16:44 Edited at: 28th Dec 2003 20:18
Beause...

A) The amount of morons is less than those who have something interesting to say

B) This is the best website for all things DB or DBP

C) This forum is more addicting than Heroin

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 18:51
Quote: "C) This forum is more addicting than Heroin"

And a lot cheaper and safer...

The place for all great plug-ins
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
it is my top website

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 22:14
Quote: "Then why o why do you still come here if that's what you think of people on this forum ?"

October, 8,850 -> 9,400 posts
November, 9,400 -> 9,700 posts
December, 9,700 -> 9,725 posts

the simple answer is really i'm barely on here now; not due to lack of time, but pure lack of will to post anymore.
also notice most of my posts are now just in the general area, i bare even bother to help people anymore; there is little point with people like you around.

you want to know why i still come here though?
a) i see this as the only source of information for DarkBASIC Professional and other TGC products
b) a few users on here i don't get a chance to talk to via email or messenger, thus my only forum of contact
c) there is always hope that perhaps things might go back to the way they were, not likely ... but some of us can dream eh

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 22:45 Edited at: 27th Dec 2003 22:46
Hey Raven on a monitor like the refresh rate. myne is 75hrz
and there some that are like 200hrz myne is a LCD. I dont have any
more prob with the card anymore it was just unstable. Thanks for
your help thow.

Why is there more people on the forms that are against each other.
I mean some times I go to Blitz to see what the Hell there doing.
There all happy helping each othere making games and I mean Making games, But I think DarkBasic could make better. So lets do better!

I dont know how to spell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 23:28
He might mean me. Who knows. All I know is I'm not the one lacing his food with heroin, so he shouldn't blame me.

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 00:18
@Divide By Zero

Your post about you old computers just put me into a temporary nostalgic day dream. I remembered myself reading a review in PC Zone about some old game like Duke Nukem 3D. The reviewer wrote the line "And if you're lucky enough to own a ninja PC of 486DX66 then this game will fly". hahahahah.

I always wanted a 486, but I always had a 386 until our first ever P90. Don't know where that is now, but downstairs there is still the next breed - the P200 with the Voodoo2 Ultra PCI in the back, with that crappy cable you have to plug from the graphics card into the 3D accelerator. Over at my house in uni, the next incarnation - the dreaded overheating P700 with MX440 is still alive and kicking, and here in front of me is my P2.2.

Sorry, remembering how the reviewer in that mag thought a 486DX66 was a ninja (with its 8MB of RAM) brought it all flooding back. I think I'll just go have a cry now.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i started hating blitz after they stopped making blitz 2d

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 15:28
I started hating Blitz after they stopped supporting (and started ignoring) Blitz 2D owners (even though I still have the cd and manual).

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:40:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:40:51