Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm learning manga!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 23:26
Hmm, no board to post 2D art like there is on lLRGT. Here goes...

Today I started learning how to draw manga faces. I haven't drawn anything for years and I have always avoided humans and esp faces. To tell the truth I have avoided pencils since I haven't had the patience. But now I for some reason wanted to draw. I'm using "How to draw manga 1" and after a few simple tests I decided to give it a real go with a girl from the book. I surprised myself with the result

This is photographed and then I used PS to give it more contrast. The best I could do at the moment. Looks better on paper though.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 01:31
Looks good. I dont like that kind of drowing but it looks good.
If thats what your doing now as a newb couldent amagen what youll be doing some time from now.

I dont know how to spell
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 02:07
Thanks guys

Slayer:
I guess everybody can't have the same taste I hope I get better, it will help me design my games.

G3ri:
Well, I wouldn't say I can draw manga. If I didn't had an image to look at I would have messed up a lot

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 03:39 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 03:39
I thought I should draw some more before I went to bed and one hour later this guy was on my paper. He's on the same page as the girl btw. The white stuff in the eyes area is reflections since I'm using a camera.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 04:47
Good stuff!

I dont know how to spell
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 05:31
Very nice, wish I was that good. Now if only I could adapt that to my style. Then I'd get some pretty good concept sketches going.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 06:21
Thanks guys

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 15:37
hey, thats very nice!
I'm learning to draw manga right now too...I wish I had a scanner

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 16:01
Thanks I wish I had a scanner too, would be better then a camera.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 18:02
Ok, here comes nr 3. A bit harder today with all the hair. It didn't turn out exactly like the original but I think I learn more from doing more things myself then looking at the original. This one also didn't have any suporting lines in the book so it was harder to see where everything should be and I think I was a bit lazy with they eyes cause the right one is a bit too high. But I don't feel like redrawing the whole eye again.

I also remembered that I haven't drawn anything for almost 5 years and it wasn't even near as good as I'm now. I think I have it in the blod though cause both my dad and my siblings are a bit artisitic.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 18:55
WOW
That looks very accurate. Well done Dead Glory.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 20:27
Thanks I just wish I made that eye better, looks weird. Well, I'm still learning...

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 20:42 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 20:43
Well me I cant erase anything on my drowings if I messup I just throw
the hol thing away or just make it look good in some way.

Try not to erase to make your skills very tight. But thats my way of doing things. Just try to make your own style so some day we could say
"Hey thats a Dead Glory Pic".

*A little off top but how much did you make on that game Pea Guy??*

I dont know how to spell
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 21:34
I erase a lot, if I didn't then I wouldn't be able to draw anything good and that would take away all the fun. Well, I'm mostly into manga for game design not as an artist.

Pea-Guy is a character and not a game. My game is called The Magic Land. And I haven't made much so far, but it's not over.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 22:58
Looks nice ... You could join elfwood with it.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 23:44
Damokles:
Thanks I guess I could but I rather only showcase my own stuff. These are made looking at pictures in a book.

Darksyde
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 00:04
Man they're pretty sweet dude! I have that book too, it's pretty good isn't it. I can say they are pretty faithful to the originals! You mentioned about redrawing etc, if you turn your paper over and hold it up to the light (so your seeing the reverse) it sometimes helps to see errors in proportions and positioning of features. Anyways good luck... I wouldnt worry too much about doing your original drawings for the time being because with practise you develop your own style anyways. At the moment im obsessed with drawing things in a similar style to the Chozo stuff in metroid. LOL, im all inspired now... im gona go draw some more stuff!

Athlon 2200 XP, 512MB RAM, Geforce 4 128MB
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 13:04
Thanks Since I'm inexperienced staying faithful to the originals is the only way to get it good at the moment. I'm pretty good at seeing where things are wrong but I'll give that a try. Good luck to you too

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 16:50
I basicly started out trying to draw manga the same way, though I had little to no referance material (kinda hard to find some during school anyway). My first pics looks pretty crappy, but after a while of practice and watching various animes I started to get better. After a while I kinda devloped my own style and it works from me, though it's contantly changing.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well me I cant erase anything on my drowings if I messup I just throw
the hol thing away or just make it look good in some way.
"

I used to be like that! I'd draw the first line, and if it was wrong, I'd throw the paper away. I remember doing that 13 times on a horse drawing. That was when I realised that I was a perfectionist, and that it was annoying to be so perfect, and a waste of time. That was also before computers! Computer art is easy to edit! No need to be so careful anymore! Scan and edit. You will be happy when you aren't so careful with your initial drawing. You will get more work done, and finish more projects.

Pincho.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 18:42
Oh they are a life saver, I can't sell you how many times I've drawn a perfectly good hand, foot, whatever and then have to erase it cause the arm or leg was too long or short.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 18:59
Since when does arrow draw? :S
Hey arrow thats very nice! And I thought you were just here to lecture me. Lay off the nudity though, I got a little brother who is a snitch here you know.

Nice work Dead Glory as well

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 20:06 Edited at: 27th Dec 2003 20:06
I don't consider it nudity unless there's the "naughty bits", even so it's artistic and far less than other websites show.

And one must do something wrong to earn a lecture, drawing is far from that in my book.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 21:17
What nudity? And I think I had a post in here earlier that is missing...

When I draw (well the 3½ drawings I made so far) I start with figuring out where everything should be placed with some basic shape and suport lines. Then I get serious and put in the details area by area. And I use the eraser a lot so that I get exactly the shape I want.

There will be a special drawing comming later, it takes a lot longer to draw but it looks that much better

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 23:49
Before I went on to bodies I wanted to try something really difficult. I bought me 2 new pencils (2B and 2H) today and started drawing. I also used a 5B pencil and a stomp (don't know if it's called the same in english), I also cut up one of my erasors to get sharp edges and corners. I really amazed myself when I started to put in the shadows and tweak the shapes and details of this guy. I have never drawn anything close to this!!!

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 00:01
g2ri: i just cant understand why you take amusment in doing this...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 00:06
Atari:
Thanks

G2ri:
Please stick to the topic.

Darwin:
Don't bother, you're just filling up my thread with more spam making you no better.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 00:13
CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO GERI IN MY THREAD?!?!

GERI CAN YOU KEEP OFF TOPIC POSTS IN SOME OTHER THREAD?!?!

Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 03:26
Hey pretty good stuff.

I'm of the tentative opinion that drawing manga is easier than drawing in just 'no' style at all, people, faces and whatnot.

I am not an artist but I gave a few tries at it and it seemed simply to lend itself to good looking art, without as much effort.

The mustached guy is real impressive btw! The next question is: Can you color/CG it? Haha!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 04:25
Thanks Yeah, manga is usually pretty easy to draw due to simplified details. Well, most of the time they are pretty simplified. I have no plans to color any of my drawings, sorry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:41:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:41:18