Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AppGameKit Studio Version 2019.08.05

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2019 13:46
I've uploaded a new version to Steam and the TGC download area with the following changes

- Fixed SetVSync(1) still capping fps to the previous value passed to SetSyncRate
- Added SetPresentMode and ForcePresent to control when the back buffer is presented to the screen
- Changed the default present mode to immediate instead of delayed
- Added #renderer to Tier 1 to specify the renderer mode to use during app start up, options are "Prefer Best, "Advanced", and "Basic", however this does not work when broadcasting
- Fixed SetRenderToImage followed by ClearScreen and then changing render image without drawing anything not clearing the first render image
- Fixed an error caused by some OpenGL drivers generating shader location values greater than 65535
- Print text will now be cleared after a call to Render instead of after the call to Sync or Swap. If you want a Print statement to appear on more than one render image you must now call Print before each render
- Minimum supported version of Android is now 4.1 (API 16)
- Exported Android apps now target API 28 as required by Google
- Updated Chartboost SDK to version 7.3.1 on Android
- Updated AmazonAds to version 5.9.0 on Android
- Updated AdMob SDK to version 18.1.1 on Android
- Changed iOS audio category so AppGameKit apps will no longer be silenced when the ringer is on silent
- Updated AdMob SDK to version 7.47.0 on iOS
- Updated Chartboost SDK to version 8.0.1 on iOS
- Updated AmazonAds to version 2.2.17.0 on iOS
- GameCircle on Amazon is no longer supported due to removal by Amazon
- Fixed TerminateApp not working on Windows
- Fixed crashes in the Android export dialog when trying to enter text into some of the fields
- Fixed crashes in the iOS export dialog when trying to enter text into some of the fields

The new #renderer option can be used in Tier 1 by putting one of the following anywhere in your code
#renderer "Basic"
#renderer "Advanced
#renderer "Prefer Best"
The first will always use OpenGL, the second will always use Vulkan, the third will try and use Vulkan but drop back to OpenGL if required. Note that the non-Windows platforms are still using the old renderer code so they will ignore this directive and always use OpenGL. This will also not work when broadcasting to a player as that player will have already made a choice of renderer when it started running.

Let me know if you have any problems
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2019 15:59
Nice one, thank you!

Gonna test later this evening

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2019 16:23
Thanks guys.
Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 7 Octacore 3.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 - RTX 2070 8GB
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks.

Any idea when HTML5 Export will be available?
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2019 19:36
Yes !!! Thank you !
I do what i do !!!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2019 23:49
Thanks!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2019 00:19 Edited at: 6th Aug 2019 00:19
Android export is still locking up for me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2019 14:02
Do you remember what you did just before it locked up?
RGBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
I also am seeing the export to android locking up. It works fine if I switch it to use android 4.1, but if I select another one it just hangs. In the task manager it doesn't say it's not responding but I just get a spinner.
GH69
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the renderer option.
My ongoing (slowly) AppGameKit project refused to run properly in Studio, crashing me back to the IDE for reasons I could not work out.
Force OpenGL and it runs just fine.
maddin
Years of Service
User Offline
This lock up only happens to own projects, the example projects have been altered already for export, the correct info is already stored in AppGameKit file.
After fiddling around with options, runasadmin etc. I found the solution for this problem:
When you configure the export settings and press export button these APK settings are NOT saved in AppGameKit file. Also when you close the export window and do "file - save" the settings won't be saved.
BUT if you do "close project" the export settings will be saved as expected in AppGameKit file and next time export is OK.

off topic: I don't think it's a good idea to allow an IDE to open more than once...What do you think?
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2019 23:06
Quote: "Do you remember what you did just before it locked up?"

I just click the export button. I have sent you that project before (Bouldersmash) if you want to try it
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2019 01:16 Edited at: 7th Aug 2019 01:51
The shadows are still not working properly in Vulkan, but at least now I can easily switch to OpenGL with the "BASIC" render option so I can now use the Studio IDE... which leads me onto:

When adding a new line between indented lines with the cursor in the far left position, the IDE erroneously auto inserts a double indent on the next line down. It's a little thing, but it's driving me insane.

Strangely, I am also seeing about half the performance with Vulkan (190fps) compared to OpenGL (370fps) with SetSyncRate(0,0). I guess my machine is too old to take advantage of Vulkan? If I don't specify to use OpenGL, then Studio defaults to Vulkan on my machine, even though it is a LOT slower. Isn't it supposed to automatically choose the best rendering method for the machine?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2019 03:48 Edited at: 7th Aug 2019 16:29
AGKS can't feasibly determine which API will run faster on every system and 'best' tends to mean 'newest'. But newer/better also doesn't always been faster (much like DX11 vs DX9 for example). But I agree it would be better to have the naming conventions specific to their relevant API or by index, maybe that can be included as an optional method in a future update.

Also, having said that, there may still be a pending issue with screen clipping reported by Janbo here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224730#msg2646887 That is, it appears that AGKS is rendering everything in the scene in every direction rather than applying proper clipping for the current viewing area. So perhaps you are encountering the same issue and the Vulkan engine is having to work several times harder to render every polygon in the scene, rather than only the ones in view.

I also agree about the IDE. I just try to avoid it mostly now. For example, scroll bars - I still can't line-by-line without the mouse wheel or up/down arrow keys (hence losing my place in a line) nor can I page up or down without also losing my line position because of required key use. Strange click behavior/unwanted menu behavior along with several other things the original IDE does correctly in terms of industry standards cause me to go back to using that for 'work' and just use the AGKS IDE for testing. Such issues have been reported on GitHub so I'm hopeful they'll eventually get sorted or I'll just want to back port what I can over to the original IDE and use that exclusively instead.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 7th Aug 2019 07:21
yes, agree with SFSW. I mostly use the AGK2 classic editor as the AGK-S editor scroll bars are a bit jumpy to say the least.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2019 12:19
I would like to suggest some additional corrections in the Application Game Kit Studio to be fixed in the next version. I will post and the issue in GitHub too.
When the mouse hovers over the horizontal and vertical scrollbars you see the CAPITAL "I" cursor. You should see an arrow cursor or normal mouse pointer.
And something else. When you compile one game and try to ship it or put it in a different directory then all graphics are missing because the Application Game Kit forces to load all graphics from media directory which is very wrong and unprofessional and if you will not put your game in the: C:\Users\#user#\Documents\ the game is unable to find the games media folder and whole game in generic and the graphic are not present too.

Also this packing protection of the assets is a very serious problem you are unable to ship a finished game.
The language should not force to load everything from media directory and should not look in the local documents directory to able to run the game propertly.

Dark Lord Beholder Project.
Role Playing Game like Lands of Lore 1 and Eye of the Beholder 2.
https://facebook.com/darklordbeholder

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2019 18:03
Quote: "
I think it should be possible if the build is for desktops system that the user have to decide whats the place for resources.
And a standard path could be /media in the game/app root folder.
Nothing else.
I know for android builds is that not the right way but to code a switch inside studio should not be that hard.
"

I do not agree. When you are installing a game you have purchased does it is forcing you to put it in your documents?
Also I don't think in a professional AAA game all graphics and data files are in a single folder with a static name "media".
Have you ever tried to install any game in any directory or even in different hard disk and the assets of the game wasn't present because the language which programmed is looking for particular documents folder and static media folder name?
What will happen if your customer put the game you programmed and sold in different directory than documents?

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2019 19:35 Edited at: 11th Aug 2019 19:48
I am talking the same, because it should be platform independent you can choose any kind of folder and sub folder for the assets of the game and should not be a default compile folder at the documents and the language to force you to look in a media folder.
The language have this problem:

For example you have 1 png image with name "Forest01.png" and you have it inside the media folder using this code works.

Then the image is in the media folder again and you try this different code to load it.
In fact you load it from the game path using and the media folder in the loadimage string.

It will present error: Could not find image again. Regardless if the image exists in the media folder and you load it manually from inside the media folder adding whole path as string.

And if you try to load the image from the root folder of your game using this variation, removing the media string from the path:

It will present the same error: Could not find image.
It suppose the Forest01.png file will exist in the rood directory of the game and in the media folder inside root directory of the game.

I think this is a serious bug. You are forced to use static "media" name for the folder in the root directory of your game only and you can't even use any other folder name and even you can't use to have the media folder inside in other folder 2 levels deeper as sub folder. C:/Game_Folder/Data/Media => This is not allowed or any other kinds of sub directories.

Your example:
app/xyz/audio
app/xyz/gfx
app/xyz/whatever
"

Will not work because the folders doesn't have the name media.
All loading asset functions should able to load anything from any folder from any sub directory from any level deep and in any hard disk as all normal programming languages does and the game should not need to be in documents folder.
The IDE should have an option to publish the game in a selected folder and if you move the game in other hard disk outside of the language the game should work and load the assets correctly without saying they didn't find them.
Another one problem is if it will not find the "bytecode.byc" which it trys to find it again from the static media folder then when you run your game you see an image with the Application Game Kit with one new error which says the Application Game Kit is UNCONNECTED.

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2019 22:48 Edited at: 11th Aug 2019 22:55
I don't know what this "raw:" does and I see it for the first time. But a normal programming language load any asset from any directory without add a special raw: command. You just give any directory path and it load the data.

What?
Why it shouldn´t find bytecode.byc ?
AGK search it in the media folder of course.The .exe is the interpreter for the bytecode.byc and why you should change its place.
"

Because I did an experiment to run my game without having the media folder and trying to have different folder name instead of media. (For example deleting the media folder completely). The language is stubborn and looks for the media folder.
Even if you place all of your assets in separated folders and use your technique with the raw: command, when you will not have the "media" folder and even have the "bytecode.byc" in the same root directory of the game the UNCONNECTED message will appear again. In few words it even needs to have the "media" folder empty with the "bytecode.byc" inside. Don't the .exe files are stand alone? do they need byte code files?

Maybe the next version should be "media" folder independent and you can place the "bytecode.byc" in the root directory of your game or in the place where the .exe file exists. The game always will have a root directory but not a directory with name "media".
All of this "media" folder thing for me is a bug.

outter
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the help guys really appreciate it...
Lee Rayson
Years of Service
User Offline
I have reposted this ERROR here as it is not receiving any feedback from AppGameKit and it is an important issue.

From Google PlayStore:

Error
This release is not compliant with the Google Play 64-bit requirement

The following APKs or App Bundles are available to 64-bit devices, but they only have 32-bit native code: 5.

This issue is stopping any income from sales of new apps on the Google Play Store.but also it is highly detrimental to reputation of the AppGameKit suite.

Immediate attention to fixing this problem should be a high priority as any serious developer, like myself, will simply not use, buy or promote your products.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2019 17:17
They said the release for the fix above would be released this week. It's friday evening and no new version. I need this fix.
Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 7 Octacore 3.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 - RTX 2070 8GB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:57:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:57:41