Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Authors Passage: A piece of fiction writing software I made!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2019 20:45 Edited at: 16th Aug 2019 01:23
Here's an exclusive sneak peek before the official release! Let me hear what you think:

https://kasper-hviid.itch.io/authors-passage?secret=MKRtZL3jAOHQvStHdm99Fk3irQ

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2019 16:34
Downloaded and played around with it, really nice non-distraction writing program. I use something similar called Write Monkey. I like the journey mode, but was wondering how you can see your progress or daily/weekly/ect goals?

Only 'bugs' I could find was when I downloaded the app my anti-virus went berserk and almost wouldn't let me unzip and run it. I did a target scan and it said it was clean, so not sure why it did that. Lastly, the text goes between being clear and blurry, almost unreadable. One way to fix this, is use a custom font, if you're not using one already, and when you load the image set the mag filter to 1, this will make the text nice and sharp and get rid of the blurring effect.

You should post a screenshot or two in your top post so people can get a sense of what the app is all about.

Great work, keep it up.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for giving it a try!

The gamification aspect uses this really simple function to keep track of the current day:

So keeping track of your overall progress within a week would require a whole different kind of tracking. So far, you can only see your total kilometer raise according to how many words you got down yesterday. My inspiration was a small gamification app called "Task Towers" which are now, regretfully, pulled from the Google Store. It basically made your tower bigger each day you completed a task, but if you missed it, it tore it down.

The nasty blurry text is intentional! Basically, I render to a 640x360 pixel sprite, upsample that to fullscreen, and then throw on a texture to give it CRT-like pixels and monitor scratches. I have tried using sharp upsampling, but I just don't think it looks right. Think I'll add some modding options, though.

Yeah, I'll add some screenshots! It's funny. Whenever I need to present something I made online, I just freeze. It ends up like this single-sentence post.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2019 02:01
That gamification reminds me of an app that you would use to help you keep on track with a project. You'd earn XP and level up, ect. It was a fun app to keep you motivated to complete projects, something I tend to do, I'll be working on something than suddenly get a "brilliant" idea and end up starting a new project.

Taking a look at your screenshots, they look completely different. My text is really blurry, I mean unreadably blurry. Yours have the right look, I agree don't change it. The error must be on my end, though not sure how. It's also not consistent. One sentence will look normal, than suddenly the next sentence, or in the middle of a sentence, the font gets smudged with vaseline...strange.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:20:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:20:10