Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2019 17:37 Edited at: 28th Sep 2019 00:32

Hey gang!
If you read this thread, chances are you've already seen me presenting this game on Discord. Now, since this is a project, just like I used to work on back in the day, it only felt right to also have an appropriate work in progress thread. Just like old times!

Speaking of old times, that is also exactly what you can expect from this game. I understand that through the years I have earned a bit of a reputation of doing new things in FPSC, new techniques, models, shaders... none of that is here. This is just a somewhat simple FPSC shooter and I guarantee that nothing about it reinvents the wheel. However I'm pretty confident that it'll be good fun.
You can expect the same type of game I used to release around 2010. I've specifically designed it to work within the limits of the memory cap while still featuring a lot of action, that is why some scenes seem a bit barren or low-poly.

Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike is a straight forward action fps with some subdued adventure elements. I aim for a release around late october or early november. The game is nearly in alpha and the release date entirely depends on how long it'll take me to record all the voice acting and polish the levels. AND of course... this IS FPSC, so a lot depends on wether it works or not. I have a whole catalogue of FPSC titles that I could not fit into its laughable memory cap back in the day but thanks to Nomad and S4reals stellar work with the Black Ice Mod there is just enough wiggle room now to make slightly more elaborate games in FPSC. So if you too want to give it another spin, now is the time.

Given FPSC's nature and track record its still just as possible that this will simply not work in the end! I can still chop the game up into chapters if the loading bug persists but I am confident that with BMI's improvments, this might just work! If so, I'll likely persue a more complex FPSC project in the future but for now, its just a shooter

P L O T

Personal Log of Agent Anja Sorensdottir:

Operation Scythe, a coordinated international offensive against the transgenic Collective was a dire failure and cost us most of our men and resources. While we managed to weaken the mutant forces significantly, they have struck us with such a fatal blow that it might have just been the final nail in the coffin for humanity as we know it.

Task Force Zero has already been reduced to a single active unit and in the wake of this grand assault, our men have been taken captive by the Collective.
Now reduced to a skeleton crew we concocted a plan to rescue our agents. Its really nothing more than a last ditch effort..., to send in the last remaining member of the Task Force, with hopes that he single handedly exfiltrates a dozen captives from a formidable high security military installation.

However, to Agent Grimms immense credit he has accepted the mission without any hesitation. He appears confident that there is a chance for us to make a dent into their defenses and his demeanor had a calming effect on me during our preparations. If he can remain so restrained even though his fiancée is among those captured, why should I be such a nervous wreck? After all
he is the one actually sent in there while I'll only observe through his infolink.

We'll drop Grimm over the Qasqir Tower military installation, once a brutalist monument to the military strength of the Pan-Asian Coalition, now a center of operations for the Collective.
High altitude, low opening in the dead of night. There is a distinct chance he will not be noticed as the mutants likely don't expect a break in from the top. It is up to him to interface me with the buildings intranet so I can lock out the reinforcements from the lower levels of the tower. After that all he has is about an hour, maybe hour and a half before they circumnavigate my efforts and he'll be so outgunned that even a man of his caliber and particular skill set will be outmatched. If our agents are still alive, he is to find them. Our thermalecholocation scan of the building revealed them to be held near the helipads, that is our only chance. If he manages to get to them in time we can send in a stealth helicopter to retrieve them. A lot of "ifs" and "buts" and no certainty.

I understand that I am likely the most efficient hacker still operating for the collective but I'd dread to be the one on com-line while they send Morgan Grimm to his death.

F E A T U R E S

* Its a new FPSC game that isn't a dull walking simulator with the spoopy closet monster! Yay!
* 9 Levels, some of them might even be good!
* Custom sound design and voice acting
* That homely old janky amateur production quality
* The game is kinda blue, its stylistically designed to be this way but I might have gone too far in a few places.

S C R E E N S H O T S

Thanks for viewing. I understand this forum has been a bit stagnant lately, but if you got something to say, drop me a post

Cheers!

-Wolf
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 27th Sep 2019 20:44
Quote: "This is just a somewhat simple FPSC shooter"

It's what FPSC was made for and does best. You're ability to make it look good while doing it is just the icing on the cake.
Love the story (always rooting for the underdog) and waiting to play.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2019 21:27 Edited at: 27th Sep 2019 21:45
Thank you Xplosys! And I always greatly appreciate when people take the time to actually read the story blurps to my projects.
ncmako
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 27th Sep 2019 23:03
Looks fantastic Wolf You always have such great looking levels with a touch to fine details.
Love to colors you gave it, and one can never have enough "blue" ? lol
The "water fall" in the first pic is just terrific ! And nice to see some of the older stock entities in there, everything seems to fit
just fine.
What a great "Feature" to have in there ---
Quote: " That homely old janky amateur production quality "

Lol, Perfect ! Will be waiting to play this also..
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2019 17:29
Thanks a ton ncmako!

In an earlier test, I had the postprocessing drown out all other colours, so things where either blue or white which made the whole image look monochrome. I settled for a far less severe look after that and I think its at the spot where its stylized enough to have its own flair going but also still readable enough to look good. Players can also just disable re-shade if they really hate the look and play the game with default post-bloom postprocessing. Altough I think that looks far inferior, personally.

Oh and yes, I think the stock FPSC items are very well made and have aged terrific! You can see me using some of them in my Unity prototype here and here .
I don't feel that you can tell that these are FPSC props from 2005 just by looking at them

Cheers!

-Wolf
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2019 22:45
Quote: "Oh and yes, I think the stock FPSC items are very well made and have aged terrific!"

I agree. just adding a good shader/ maps. makes them look great. Looking forward to the game.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2019 08:35
Damn Wolf! Making us all awed and jealous of your aesthetics. can't wait to play it!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2019 20:29
Thank you Mriganka!! It should be released rather soon

Hey All!

As I said, rather soon. I aim to have this finished for Halloween / 30th October!
The game is pretty much done at this point, I am just adding the voice overs now and then there'll be short testing phase.
Everything works fine or decent enough and I think, at least for FPSC fans, it'll be fun to play! I can not yet vouch for the games stability, but I do my best to try having it run as well as possible. FPS on my rig are always between 75 and 80 + there is an autosave after every level: So if the game decides to crash between level loads, you can re-start where you left of. Giving the nature of FPSC's memory issues, that should then allow you to load the next level.

Now! Here is a video of the combat in action. It will be very similar in the final release:

And of course: New screenies.

Thanks for viewing and please stay tuned for the release

-Wolf
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Half-Life: WAR
Posted: 21st Oct 2019 20:44
That looks incredible, can't wait for release
hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2019 23:52 Edited at: 28th Oct 2019 23:52
Hey all!

The game is now in beta and I have gotten a lot of really useful and detailed feedback from my testers! Thanks again you lot!
To my amazment, it built all 9 levels in one sitting flawlessly. I never saw this with an FPSC game of this size before.
Now, there are several AI issues and small things in the game that need touching up but the biggest issue is FPSC being FPSC again. Meaning that the game tends to crash during level loading.
I was still able to complete the beta and so where most of my testers so far but it only loads in dividetexturesize = 2... that means in half texture resolution which looks a bit original x-box muddy. It also tends to crash to desktop or conjure up a mighty, unholy runtime error after getting 2 or 3 levels (out of 9) in.
Now I placed autosave functions before every level end so the player doesn't lose his progress but I still rather not release a game so prone to crashing to a wider audience.
If this can be solved I'd be more than happy! If not, well, then I will still release it to this community, as I think y'all know FPSC well enough to look past this
However, all this does also move the release date to some time in the future. I had a lot of fun making this game even though it doesn't work correctly right out of the gate.

I would also like to thank S4real and Nomad for their stellar work with BMI.

Now here is an older video for now. I will upload a full playthrough of the beta later to my channel...however THAT video will spoil the game, so only view it if you don't plan on trying it yourself

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:54:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:54:00