Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / VR to become new target for AGK Studio?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

After reading TGC's October newsletter I got the feeling that something big is coming to AppGameKit - better VR support.

What do you guys think, do you anticipate same changes in this field, to get Oculus quest/go support in AppGameKit, or some of you would rather like to get support for gaming consoles or something else?
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
How many AppGameKit users really use VR?

Maybe try to make AGKS even better,
Bring in 3D Design,
Integrate GGloader into AppGameKit, for easier conversion from GG > AGK
Make a GUI for other types of APP's as well. Listboxes, Dropboxes, etc, MySql Support, or better database support.
We've been asking for a GUI for some time.
We've been asking for HTML5 Export in AGKS?

Now spend time and money for something maybe 5% of the community use!

Just my personal feeling....

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline

DannyD wrote: "How many AppGameKit users really use VR?"

Of course, you're is right that VR is of no interest for those who don't have it. Personally, the VR DLC is the only reason I bought AppGameKit back then.

I think the VR dlc is pretty solid as it is. I literally can't come up with any missing features. But it seriously needs support for new HMDs. I had an user ask if I could add Index support, and I had to say nope, not possible from my end.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 9th Oct 2019 11:10 Edited at: 9th Oct 2019 11:11
Yes, I don't have any VR kit, not likely to either. VR been around for a long time and always loved playing VR COP and other VR coin-op games in the arcades. It's nothing new, but a lot of fun. Maybe when my boy is older and he takes interest in games/gaming if he wants to. Not bothered about GUI, I already make my own. HTML-5 , yep you need to be patient for that one, but that will come I'm sure. There are still issues with AGK-S that need sorting before any additional stuff gets added in to throw more spanners in the works.
just my thoughts of course....
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
I am voting for Oculus Go/Quest support, they are relatively cheap and they have their own app store that has a lot of room for new developers to submit their creations.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2019 15:53
It seems like a working RecordSound() would benefit far more AppGameKit devs than VR support. Would be good to have a poll/survey on this.
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2019 19:51 Edited at: 9th Oct 2019 20:10
i think everyone has assumed TGC are planning something when it was purely a comment based on the oculus quest getting the ability to stream pc content sometime in november via a usb-c lead that is being added by the occulus quest designers/facebook.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/299018-standalone-oculus-quest-will-soon-work-as-pc-headset-get-hand-tracking

Therefore AppGameKit VR could be streamed to it after that capability has been added with no work done by TGC to enable the capability. In fact, Practically ANY pc game capable of rendering sterioscopically becomes compatible with the quest if that feature is enabled and truly open (not limited to steam or some other specific set of games)

The second comment was about the HTC vive (which is already supported by agk vr) getting a wireless option. Which is nice so at least you dont trip over your wires.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2019 20:41 Edited at: 9th Oct 2019 20:42
VR support should be as device independent as possible and as platform independent as possible (never being locked into one captive ecosystem/store/etc). Especially for a cross platform development system. AppGameKit VR could be brought up to work with AppGameKit Studio and Vulkan along with support for 64-bit and Linux (currently being limited to 32-bit only, OpenGL only, and Windows only). That or OpenXR could become an effective path for such an effort.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2019 22:28
Quote: "It seems like a working RecordSound() would benefit "

+1 for this
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2019 10:41 Edited at: 11th Oct 2019 11:18
Bored of the Rings wrote: "Yes, I don't have any VR kit, not likely to either. VR been around for a long time and always loved playing VR COP and other VR coin-op games in the arcades. It's nothing new, but a lot of fun."

The concept of VR has been around for a long time, yes. As far back as 1935, a short story called Pygmalions Spectacles described it like this:
Quote: ""Listen! I'm Albert Ludwig—Professor Ludwig." As Dan was silent, he continued, "It means nothing to you, eh? But listen—a movie that gives one sight and sound. Suppose now I add taste, smell, even touch, if your interest is taken by the story. Suppose I make it so that you are in the story, you speak to the shadows, and the shadows reply, and instead of being on a screen, the story is all about you, and you are in it. Would that be to make real a dream?""

If I should define VR, I would say it's when the artificial sensations take precedence: You turn your head down, and you can look at your (virtual) hands. You take a step forward, and you move accordingly in the (virtual) reality.

There has been a lot of amusements that exploited the vision of VR. Like those 4D cinemas where they splashed water on your face as part of the show.

However, actual functional VR has only been possible recently, since it requires some rather extreme tech to work.

Virtua Cop simply lets you shoot at a monitor with a light gun. But, it all happens on the screen. You're not inside the game. You're inside an arcade.

But suppose that the arcade was, in itself, a simulation? THEN it would be VR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5C1Pk4qu0

Of course, you're only seeing this video on a monitor. You don't get the sensation of actually being there. That's the trouble with VR. To understand it, you have to try it.

I think that this post was made without any irony says a lot: Did you ever experience de-realization in real life?
bigtunacan
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll just chime in with a couple of my thoughts. First is I would also like to see VR support. VR adoption is slow but steady. If you have used it for any reasonable length of time you are hard not to be impressed by the technology. The immersion is incredible.

Something that should be of interest to us as indie game developers is that right now there is a relative lack of high quality VR content especially higher budget "AAA" games so there is more room for us to sell. Additionally, while the total user base is much smaller than say PC users Steam has reported VR users are spending much more money on games than the average PC user. Ergo VR is a good market for indie games to target today and support for it in AppGameKit Studio is a good thing that people should want.

My last thought on this is that I do understand that AppGameKit has limited development staff but that it is disheartening to see the slow rate of feature development around here when contrasted with something like Godot which is free and open source. The VR support over there is quite amazing. I don't mean it as a dig; I like AppGameKit and it is probably one of the most convenient ways to slap together a very quick low complex game (arguably GameMaker Studio or Construct are actually better in that area even but cost is much higher) so the end result though is that the value proposition of AppGameKit is low.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2019 09:51 Edited at: 20th Oct 2019 10:02
Much as I like the whole VR concept seems like Google and Samsung are dropping the ball..

If so then seems a real pity to me.
I loved not having to buy an expensive device and still be able to check out VR stuff.
Only the implementation of the mechanism to insert phone's and control button sucked. I think the phone should have been inserted in a slit from the top so gravity would hold it instead of some tight spring mechanism only. Then it should take just some simple sliders on the side to hold it in place. And for the control button: 2 magnets with a piece of wall(cardboard or plastic) in between would allow for placement wherever is suitable for the different phone models/brands.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
How many AppGameKit users really use VR?

Maybe try to make AGKS even better,
Bring in 3D Design,
Integrate GGloader into AppGameKit, for easier conversion from GG > AGK
Make a GUI for other types of APP's as well. Listboxes, Dropboxes, etc, MySql Support, or better database support.
We've been asking for a GUI for some time.
We've been asking for HTML5 Export in AGKS? "

I agree with this. As much as I kind of like VR, I still think it's not really going anywhere. I'd appreciate more general improvements to AGK(S).
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2019 17:16
I had a VR headset, and AppGameKit VR.....I ditched it because it's a fad and a toy for serious die hard only. The tech was ok, and AppGameKit did it well, but vr is never going to be mainstream.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:08:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:08:05