Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Focus on performance....

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Some time back some forum guys did tests on the relative performance of Tier 1 vs Tier 2. I recall that whilst graphics speed was comparable, code logic was around 20 times faster in Tier 2. It would be fantastic if this was an area that could be worked on with successive updates to the AppGameKit and AGKS products so we can all enjoy faster code... to enable us to deliver more!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2019 23:07 Edited at: 10th Oct 2019 23:09
Wath i have learned during the years is that i try to code smarter with less larger loops inside the main loop.
Yes its more work but are going well with pixelstein so far.
When i first started the project so whas it a bit yea i might add something more and still run well.
And today are i still adding bits but making the code smarter.
Avoiding to many if else or commands to do stuff and placing bits in functions i exit at the top instead if a state is not meet.
Saves me alot of speed.

This is my project that runs well on mobiles today made in agk.

But more power to agk basic is always welcome
The trailer is for the unreleased update for this weekend.
GaborD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2019 01:26 Edited at: 11th Oct 2019 01:30
Quote: "Some time back some forum guys did tests on the relative performance of Tier 1 vs Tier 2. I recall that whilst graphics speed was comparable, code logic was around 20 times faster in Tier 2. It would be fantastic if this was an area that could be worked on with successive updates to the AppGameKit and AGKS products so we can all enjoy faster code... to enable us to deliver more!"

Just keep in mind that it only makes a noticeable difference if you are CPU bound, which many games are not. If rendering is your bottleneck, the game will still run at the same speed.
Thus the "deliver more!" part is somewhat relative.

That said, every improvement and optimization is welcome, no question.
In the end it boils down to how many users/games would see a true benefit from this as opposed to the same dev time being used for optimizing other things or adding new features.
Who knows, so many different games, users, experience levels, export targets, hardware specs, etc.
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Good point. I recently started adding breakpoints in codes whenever I added new codes to see how many times this new section hits. Thanks to AGKS I can debug in real time and it’s been fun using it!

If I know the codes section doesn’t needs to be checked every single loop, I use a main game condition variable check.

The game I’m working on is 2D and doesn’t involve that many sprites on screen at once, so I probably don’t need to do perform tests.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2019 17:28 Edited at: 11th Oct 2019 17:30
GaborD wrote: "If rendering is your bottleneck"
then try to render less.
I'm not talking about lowering the quality but the amount of vertices and fragments that need to be processed.
In every modern engine they use Portal Culling, Occlusion Culling or what ever neat algorithm to reduce objects drawn.
This can be done on GPU but most oft them use the CPU and thus less loops does help as I got the impression AGK's loops arn't the fastest.
Anyway I imagine it to not be an easy task to create Occlusion Culling (I looked into it) but AppGameKit could really benefit from Occlusion culling.
It's one of two big wishes for AppGameKit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:40:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:40:22