Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Multiplayer Setup/Capabilities in AGKS (TIER 1)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm reading the documentation and wondering is is possible in AGKS to have every device that is running the game act as a host and broadcast for other machines to join and play (does that make sense)?-

Or are there specific sites that would host the game and then I would just install the "client" on each player device? Does AGKS support this level of multiplayer internally?

The game Idea I have in mind is along the lines of a MOBA - with max players in an arena at a time is 4 players. I'm more looking for having the ability for "players" to join a game when they are in the vicinity of another player in more of a casual setting.

Is this possible in Tier 1 or would I need to move to Tier 2?

thanks for any input ....
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2019 18:07 Edited at: 13th Oct 2019 18:07
Sounds like it's possible... you would need to write the code yourself ofc.
I wonder how you'd save player state if one switches from one server to the other as he leaves one "area" and moves into another...that is a difficult undertaking.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2019 06:03
it can be done in teir one

Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2019 16:04 Edited at: 14th Oct 2019 16:06
Even if your goal is peer to peer connections and local networking, you're still going to need a central server to manage any progression or inventory system your game utilizes.

If you want a player host option, you might want to offer a scaled down version of your main host - one that does anti-cheat or integrity checks against the data on the main server and reports back to it.

EDIT: Something to keep in mind is that your player host may function as a server for the game but functions as a client when reporting home... and the golden rule of client design is to remember that the client is in the hands of the enemy.
Kakise
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2019 12:58
As Loktofeit said, even if you use p2p networking, you will still need a server to list the avaliable hosts etc... And trusting the client is never a great idea anyway. You might be limited by tier 1 speed at some point when making a server, so you might want to try using tier 2 from the beginning.
PCG Lover
Using AppGameKit Tier 1&2

My creations:

[Tier 1 PLUGIN] Wave Function Collapse for Tier 1
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2019 20:52
I think it's a nice feature to have. For instance to arrange an ad-hoc game, which is great fun for instant results.
Quake3 had such a mode I believe..

I was discussing something like this here https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220101 and have something 'under development' for a long time, but always something else comes up to prevent me from going on:

Hope I can pick it up soon.
BlueGuardian
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the responses - it definitely is a larger undertaking that I'm ready to take at the moment but worth considering and putting on the TODO list . I'll keep researching (I'm more familiar with java and developing client/server applications in that realm than c++ which is one of the reasons I've tried not to venture into tier2 too much).
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2019 19:23
it would be a large undertaking but you could actually do it without any servers. have the client and server built into a single app. app would find 2 connected clients and and share user data with then and designate as a server. then they would cross communicate sharing user data. if either server goes offline a new server is designated and user data transfered. keep in my an an entire book novel can fit in about 200kb text file. only thing u would need is a blank website that can update the current game server ips.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:04:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:04:52