Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Steam Remote Play Together is not great with controller games made with AGK

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2019 17:49
Steam Remote Play Together is great, but not with controllers in AppGameKit apps, as you have to start the app before you can invite a/multiple person(s) but when AppGameKit apps joystick detection is completed no more joysticks can be added which means you can't use Steam Remote Play Together (as invites goes out AFTER app start, you would have to delay joystick detection until all invites are sent out and accepted). Anyway, I'm guessing this is the reason it doesn't work with AppGameKit apps.
13/0
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2019 14:57
pretty sure you can call CompleteRawJoystickDetection() again to detect new joysticks?
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2019 15:16 Edited at: 30th Nov 2019 15:16
Quote: "pretty sure you can call CompleteRawJoystickDetection() again to detect new joysticks?"

Unfortunately, calling that function does not look for new joysticks. It just waits for the initial completion thread to complete then it does nothing at all.

It would be good to have an option to restart the detection thread to allow new devices to be detected.
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2019 02:17
Agree 100%, I requested this a long time ago.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2019 02:47
What if you used RunAapp() To restart the app. You could save pertinent information to a file in the Documents folder
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep - just bumped into this too - would be nice to give players the ability to plug in a joystick after the app has started and have it detected.
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2019 17:13
Ive a version of the windows AppGameKit player that allows the enumeration of joysticks to be started again....I coded that this afternoon.

I can share if wanted, it allows joysticks to be plugged in after app start. Ive only tested with xbox controller so far though....trying to find a usb joystick as we speak.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2019 21:55
Quote: "Ive a version of the windows AppGameKit player that allows the enumeration of joysticks to be started again"

Is this an official release? Does this mean the player will do this for future releases?
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2019 22:33
Anyone can add functionality to teir 1 and teir 2 if they want to and make a custom player if they choose to do so. AppGameKit is open source except for the compiler. So you can fix issues, expand functionality, add features etc...

It only becomes official if you make a pull request and tgc approve the changes. I tend to run a customised teir 1 version all the time these days.

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 12th Dec 2019 22:50
Quote: "Anyone can add functionality to teir 1 and teir 2 if they want to and make a custom player if they choose to do so. AppGameKit is open source except for the compiler. So you can fix issues, expand functionality, add features etc... "

I wasn't aware of that, theres allot of things people have added across the forums that really could be used for this
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2019 23:17 Edited at: 12th Dec 2019 23:17
Is there a link and build instructions?
Does this apply to mobile platforms as well?
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2019 11:23 Edited at: 13th Dec 2019 11:27
AGK Libraries on Github

Have a read of the teir 2 sticky at the top of the classic forum. You can recompile the AppGameKit classic libraries then compile the players on any platform that you have the hardware to compile on. (Win,linux,mac, ios,android, Pi)

There is no source code download for AppGameKit Studio - just classic...so no tinkering with the vulcan renderer

I've probably trivialised the difficulty of this. Its no easy task to set everything up and then make changes to a very large library. You need to know C/C++ and be a fairly capable programmer to actually be able to make any meaningful or useful changes. And while it sounds easy to make minor changes - you have to make sure they are as platform independant as possible (completely cross platform) and then test on any platform. Its not simple and takes time to find out how things are done in the first place.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2022 16:25
Quote: "Ive a version of the windows AppGameKit player that allows the enumeration of joysticks to be started again....I coded that this afternoon."

I've just been tinkering with my old game moving from a dedicated online feature to Steam Remote Play Together, and I ran into the same issue again, no new joysticks can be detected after launching the game. I am very interested in your custom player for tier 1 where joysticks can be detected after launching the app
13/0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:45:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:45:11