Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Need Suggestion: VPS/ Dedicated Servers to run server .exe app that requires OpenGL

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody. I need some help/suggestion. What VPS/Hosting services can I use to host AppGameKit .exe server app, for an online multiplayer game?
I want to host a simple game server app that I program myself. I made an .exe Windows server app using AppGameKit.
But, apps made using AppGameKit requires OpenGL 2 (and some basic directX). The VPS that I have tried (run with Remote Windows Desktop) cannot run it, with erors saying 'your graphic card does not support one or more OpenGL features'.
The server app itself does not have any graphic-heavy tasks, in fact it doesn't have any graphic, just a small black window. It's just an issue of the app requirement to need OpenGL, and not the heaviness of the work need to be done by the app.

Anobody know of any VPS/Dedicated Servers that can run OpenGL 2? Cheaply, if possible.
Any hosting service suggestion? Or any way to remedy this issue?

Will this server work?
XEON E3 1270 v2
8 GB ECC RAM
4 Cores, 8 Threads
Max Turbo 3.90 GHz

Additional errors about extensions:
'Failed to get OpenGL extension glBindFramebufferEXT , GLGenFramebuffersEXT, glFramebufferTexture2DEXT , glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT, glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT, glDeleteFramebuffersEXT, glBindRenderbufferEXT, glDeleteRenderbuffersEXT, glGenRenderbuffersEXT , glRenderbufferStorageEXT , glCreateShader '

Theres also directX error, but remedied by putting the DLL inside the project folder
'This program can't start because XINPUT9_1_0.dll is missing from your computer'

Any hosting service suggestion? Or any way to remedy this issue? Thanks in advance.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you tried the headless option? Using this command at the top of your server program, none of the graphics side of things should enable:

#Renderer "None"

When active, you will only see it appear in the list of background processes in task manager. So you will need to terminate it in task manager and/or have a way to do it externally by a connected client. But this mode lets you run it without enabling the graphics side of things. I'm not sure how it may impact any XInput dependency though (it 'should' disable that dependency as well, but I don't know if it does).
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2020 19:50
all server in market (dedicated or vps) mainly focus for data transfer faster not focus on graphics so you con't get open gl or direct x enable server if I not wrong . and I don't know about #Renderer "None" command . but I suggest you if you know c++ then make your server using c++ and connect your game through socket programming I never done it but it work .. and one more thing what multiplayer game you made ? I can help you to host your game on my pc and play with you to checking .
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2020 20:37 Edited at: 27th Mar 2020 20:39
SFSW, I have never used that method before. Sounds promising. I will try it after I open up a graphic-card-less server and report back.
Forgot to mention, I'm using AppGameKit 2 Classic. Doesn't seems to work with that command. Do you know of similar command that can work in AppGameKit Classic?

TamBam, thank you very much for the kind offer. I am making a relaxing social game, online multiplayer, where a lot of people hang out together. sort of like the PS3 Playstation @Home. But it's very barebone now. RIght now I'm testing it on Amazon AWS hosting service. But the price is rather high. They charge based on hourly rate, so I'm just disabling the server whenever I'm not testing to reduce the fee.
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2020 09:15
graphic-card-less server means that sever has no dedicated graphics card but that not means that server give you access open gl or direct x graphics games . every server disable the graphics services to speed up . anyways I make a game few days ago and also make a fantasy cricket game but you know all games r stop because of corona . so do you like to test my game . and one more things you can try at AWS use #Renderer "None" may it works .
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2020 09:27

`#Renderer "None"
`#renderer "Basic" // This will choose the OpenGL renderer
`#renderer "Advanced" // This will choose Vulkan
`#renderer "Prefer Best" // This will use the default system

all are agk studio code you con't use it on agk classic

buy AppGameKit studio its good and time saving +91 9804218616 whats app no if you want to ask any things
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2020 20:57
I know there is a new option where you can mak a windowless app. cant remember what the command was though. maybe have a look at the release notes for previous versions
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2020 05:56
#Renderer "None"
this is window less app .
without graphics
Note : only work in AppGameKit Studio
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
BITBITBIT wrote: "SFSW, I have never used that method before. Sounds promising. I will try it after I open up a graphic-card-less server and report back.
Forgot to mention, I'm using AppGameKit 2 Classic. Doesn't seems to work with that command. Do you know of similar command that can work in AppGameKit Classic?"

Ah ok, you posted in the Studio forum, so I thought you were using that version. I am not aware of an equivalent option in classic, so it would require the use of Studio.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 31st Mar 2020 06:49
moved the thread over to classic forum that might help people trying to work out a fix

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2020 06:52
I think you might be looking at your problem wrong.
If your game is a Social one... like for example Cybercity (or I guess a Modern example would be VR Chat)., then such a game could easily use a Peer-to-Peer Connection approach.

All you really need is a way for "Players" to connect to each other in the first place... store their information... provide real-time chat... etc.
That can more or less be done entirely with a Traditional Web Host with a Database., thus no need for a "Dedicated Server" Runtime.
Heck I'd go one step further and suggest Discord Nitro as Scalable Communication Backend.

I mean a major benefit to AppGameKit being designed for Mobile and HTML5 App Development, is one of it's strongest aspects is support for IoT Communication.
Use that to your advantage.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
I see. I might give AppGameKit Studio a look.

Does AppGameKit Classic codes easily tranferrable to AppGameKit Studio? Or will the codes need some major overhaul to make it compatible with AppGameKit studio?
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2020 15:58 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2020 09:39
SUCCESS!

I have just purchased AppGameKit Studio.
Made a headless game server app using the command #Renderer "None"
And it ran flawlessly in a VPS without graphic card!

Thanks to SFSW, TamBam, blink0k, fubarpk, Raven, and everybody!

You guys just saved me a whole ton of money that would be needed to hire an expensive hosting service with graphic card capability.
I will come back and tell you guys about the game when it's roughly ready for test. I hope we can play together.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad it worked as you needed.
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2020 21:00
WOW this is very nice . I am very happy . can you tell me your vps server cost and the link so I also want to buy . thanks
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 09:38 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2020 09:40
@TamBam
The cheapest servers I know of that you can try your app on is Amazon AWS, server type EC2, t2 micro.
It's free for use for 1 year. You can even have multiple instances of the servers.
When it's outside of free trial, they will charge you hourly. For t2 server, they only charge 0.016 USD per hour. So that's around 10 USD per month. They only charge you when the server is running, so whenever you don't want to be charged, you can stop the server, and resume back whenever.
You can upgrade the servers with plugin such as graphic card, ect.

So thats the cheapest to begin with. There are cheaper options ( 8 USD/ month), but there are limitiations, and not as flexible as Amazon AWS.

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 22:29 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2020 22:31
Hi BITBITBIT thanks for your replay . Amazon EC2 can run our agk .exe file ? is that provide static IP address ? all port are open ? I never use AWS server at reg. they asking credit card I couldn't understand so I leave . please guide me Thanks in advance .
are you talking about this server? its give me 125hr every month free means approx 5 hrs a day

Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2020 09:08 Edited at: 4th Apr 2020 09:10
@TamBam
Yes it can run agk .exe.
Yes, they can provide static IP address.
Yes, you can open any port you want. You specify the ports in the 'security group', and inbound/outbound rules in the server firewall
You choose product categories depending on the package that have stuff that you want. I chose/tick 'Compute'. It gave 750 hours free/month.
You also need to key-in payment methods. If you didn't put in payment methods such as a credit card, AWS will not allow you to open an account.
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 13:25
and if I want to run it 24hrs then ?? and is there any data capping ? and one more-things agk render "none" is showing nothing after run, so how you manage ? suppose you need to run 2 server one at 2000 port and another 3000 port and sometime you need to close 3000 port server and again you need to run it so how you manage .
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
@TamBam
Once a program is running, I usually close it with the Task Manager.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:02:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:02:02