Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / how fast can you type?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 15:54
I can't type fast when there are numbers and non-alpha characters, so I'm really slow when I'm practicing in C. I can't help it, the mouse was just so convenient...

People? I hate people. People are stupid.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 18:37 Edited at: 31st Dec 2003 18:39
I don't get it, I managed to do 101 wpm typing " i i i i i i i i i i i i " over and over. Am I just really retarded?

EDIT

No, that online test was retarded, I got 272 wpm typing myself on word.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 18:38
fine i'll put it in terms you can understand...
200wpm ~1,400characters per minute
145wpm is what dication secutaries (ie those in courts and such) are required to have minimum which is ~1,015character per minute

a word is assumed to be adveragely 6 letter + space or punctuation
this is how typing software figures such things out and when you need to have a job where your wpm are essential then you'll be given such a test.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 19:30 Edited at: 31st Dec 2003 19:31
I type about 160 wpm. Tho when I took typing in Jr High I was like the worst person in the class! Only could do 32 wpm, 23 wpm if I wanted it not to have any errors! I think I just got better because I've typed on the ol puter all these years and I just had to get better!

EDIT - I still usually have to go back and fix spelling mistakes!

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 19:53
yeah it's a pretty common speed for people who've been using comupters a long time orv

and Divide thereis nothing wrong with my example; Computer Programmers aren't hired on how quickly they type, infact very few professions are... and as that was the point being made about the requirements for a job the example is perfect for what was being explained.
I'm sorry if that seemed far too over your head to understand though.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 14:56
In the building I work at, there is around 150 programmers in one very large room. Most of them have at least 5 years experience in programming in a work environment. And most have spent most of this time at this job (ie. should have quite a bit of repeated text day in day out). I am somewhere in the middle with about 9 years experience of the same job. All the systems are pretty big, with my department, for example, having a system with around 7000 programs milling about. Most of the time at least 50% are coding, and not thinking while rotating their eyes or something. Now, if all these people were typing at 200wpm then I wouldn't be able to hear the phones, and small office junk would probably fall off monitors.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 15:13 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 15:18
Quote: "most coders i know can do around 200wpm atleast... you might remember me complaining about the buffer speeds in the current IDE's people have made."

Wishful thinking. Nobody writes code of any complexity whilst typing at that speed, considering that the world record for typing is 212 WPM. If people do need to type that fast then they could probably find a far shorter way of coding a task.

Just out of interest, I read that one of the Rogue Squadron titles was 300,000 lines of code long, and took 12 months to develop. Do some very basic maths and work out what that comes to in Words Per Day and you'll see that your maximum typing speed is irrelevant.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 19:32 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 19:34
personally i think WPM is sort of a dumb way to measure typing speed, because if you type a lot of short words in elementary-level writing, you're going to have a higher speed than if you write college-level stuff. CPM makes more sense. not to mention you can't really measuer a coder's typing speed in WPM, and it's really pointless to measure coding speed at all, because it's not about the typing, but the code.

what also skews those online typing tests is that you're forced to copy crap from some strange paragraph in someone else's words and writing style. when you're coming up with stuff in real time and just typing what you're thinking, it comes out a lot faster.

just did a one-minute test in word and i got 73WPM. 383CPM and only missed the e in "minute".

oh and raven -- you are god, i bow down to you. you probably have a 14-inch penis and can bench 3 tons, right?

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB crucial DDR | winXP pro | DBP P5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 10:44 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 10:47
To DrakeX:
Quote: "personally i think WPM is sort of a dumb way to measure typing speed, because if you type a lot of short words in elementary-level writing, you're going to have a higher speed than if you write college-level stuff."

Yeah I agree and I also think that some ways of calculating WPM are not accurate.

I have typed when I was at my very best 126 Calculated WPM, although this was on some typing program and it didn't have all the letters or numbers, and it was short words.

I probably can copy stuff off paper at about 45-50 CWPM and I code at a lot less then that.

To Divide By Zero:
Quote: "Well I can bench 180 kilos... that's still weak though"

Thats a lot more then I can do

There will always be some one a little bit faster, a little bit smarter, a little bit stronger, that some one is me =)
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
I type 1 word an hour.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 11:58
65wpm with 92% accuracy. I slowed up whenever I got to a capital letter.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 11:59 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 12:02
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 12:14
Quote: "Eh, only 2 errors I have a habit of hitting delete automatically when I sense an error when I type "

Yeah, that's the same as me. I can tell when I hit the wrong key because I know it's in a different place then the one I want, hence why I can type almost flawlessley without looking at the screen or keyboard.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 13:48
Wow.

Most of the coders Raven knows can type within about 10 wpm of the world record.
I would never have believed it normally, but seeing as Raven said it.....

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 14:11 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 14:11
Raven was right !
I can write more than 200 wpm ... too easy.
My trick :
- select something with your mouse (a huge text is better)
- press Ctrl + C
- press Ctrl + V as fast as you can

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
lassix
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm.. haven't done any of those tests posted here, but here's some test results that are about 2-3 years old:

10 min test
Keystrokes: 2164
Errors: 4
Error points: 4 x 10 = 40
Error % : 0,18%
Total: 2124

I did that at school, we all had to. If I remember correctly, I came up 3rd in my class.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:22
Oh right.

I had no idea.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 01:55
on average i can wip out around 150wpms...i've been programing for over 12 years. After a while, you just know what to type in for certain code. So you just type out teh code you need without really thinking about it. I do it all the time. Also, when i type up a story or something rather, i allready have the idea/design/dialogue, w/e, allready thought up, so if find it easy to type up at this speed. But when it comes to copying a document and typeing, eh, i drop a few, heh.

Moondog
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 03:39 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 03:40
at what point exactly did i say that I could type at 200wpm?

i'd be interested to see ya'll actually quote me on that, as i've said most of you are all just becoming sad, pathetic and honestly now this just petty jeliously really.

and if you must know 215lbs & 7.8"
what i'm finding pathetic is the fact your all having a pop at me when actually what i'm capable of doing isn't even close to what other people can.
buht ya know i suppose it's just another excuse to take a jab at Raven eh.

and ya know it's not how fast you can type but how well you can type... just because i can type at 160wpm, doesn't mean that i can type that fast error free.

thats what the world record for typing is btw... the FASTEST ERROR FREE typist. I know people who can type faster than that, but doesn't mean it comes out error free.

annoyingly often it is either a single letter out of place else it happens to be that you can't spell the word to begin with.
oftenly i can spell words correctly but my ability to multitask is shameful; which means that i'll be talking to one person and coding then end up writing down half the conversation that i'm having.

as for the Rouge Squadron being 300,000 lines of code for 9months; yeah thats all well and good... and Quake took 12months and is just over 200,000.
however there is a flaw there somewhere, as during Quakes development Carmack came up with over 9 different engines; infact the one that became Quake's final engine was rewritten from the ground up with 72hrs.
this isn't taking into account compile errors, spelling errors, bugs, etc...
hell if we could all code perfectly the first time we wrote out a program, we'd all have alot more freetime and would be earning much more as programs would be bugless.

When your little fantasy world actually becomes reality remember to give me a call so i know i can finally relax about work, eh.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 05:03
Quote: "at what point exactly did i say that I could type at 200wpm?

i'd be interested to see ya'll actually quote me on that, as i've said most of you are all just becoming sad, pathetic and honestly now this just petty jeliously really."

At what point did anyone else say you could type at 200wpm?

It would be interesting to see you actually quote anyone on that...

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 05:23
haha, first multi-paged thread!
(sorry, everyone has to say it atleast once )

Quote: "i'll be talking to one person and coding then end up writing down half the conversation that i'm having."

lol, i do that all the time...people make fun of me for some reason...i think they're just jealous

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 09:31
Quote: "at what point exactly did i say that I could type at 200wpm?"

You didn't. You said your mates can code at 200+wpm.

Quote: "just because i can type at 160wpm"

You said later...

Quote: "i can only type around 110wpm "

You *actually* said before...

Christ, this getting up early milarky because it's early week in work really sucks...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 13:10 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 13:11
I can type at 200 WPM non-error free (like the people Raven knows)

gemnio[p egap jako mwahil fjaw snfyahotrv mjqwav b;agnhv lagiow bntgqioh nlagje; nbhiaow;v mwfap hgwalo mngk[#a' nbg9uapgaw nbgaow gajw boawl ngfaiwu nfwsp nfahops fmnampw tgnawoi g;maln sagjp nmaep; gawgam

See?

And.... for God's sake, "oftenly" is not a word

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 17:53 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 17:53
heh! funny thing...i went to one of my programing professors, and i asked on average how fast he types...guess what? he said around 195 when he gets into it. Hmmm...not 200..but not far off either. I asked him if thats common in experienced programers, and he said ya it is. If you've been in the buisness as long as him, then busting out type is like talking to them. ...i think that was error free too...don't remember.

Moondog
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:08
yeah i've mentioned how fast i can type several times over the past few years... infact when i started DB back in '99 my typing speed was something like 58wpm.

guess there is a difference between many of us here though; some of us came here to learn a new skill, not just to sit around idlely chit-chatting.
and now i can type and multitask well enough to actually do both if i so choose

quite frankly ya'll who are all upty against me all the time should get off those stupid soap boxes bitching to me and start actually trying to improve yourselves.
if you put half the damn effort into your coding as you do into trying to bring me down all the time you might actually get good enough to achieve something

which i could sit and list most of you who don't seem to be bugger all around here except wait to jump on me as soon as you can.
kinda pathetic really

^_^ just wonder who you'll all pick on in a few week time, or if your next victim can even handle what you guys are like.

ched4r
Years of Service
User Offline
495 characters per minute if i remember corretcly.

[href]http://www.typera.tk[href]
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i went to one of my programing professors, and i asked on average how fast he types...guess what? he said around 195 when he gets into it. Hmmm...not 200..but not far off either. I asked him if thats common in experienced programers, and he said ya it is. If you've been in the buisness as long as him, then busting out type is like talking to them. ...i think that was error free too...don't remember.
"

A lot of us have been programming for as long as him, or longer. Most people didn't have home computers before 1980. When I went to college I was ahead of my tutors, and had to teach them a few things. I really doubt that typing fast (200wpm) comes from programming because it is not neccessary.

Pincho.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 00:53
depends how you work Pincho... i'd wager high money that programmers like IanM, TCA, Lee and CattleRustler are capable of coding very fast when they get thier train of thought going...

i get it from chatting to girls all the time over aim and msn, i swear they're like born with typing instincts cause i find it so hard to keep up
especially when you've got like 4 or 5 of them on at once and your constantly switching chats and topics... kinda like one of those sink or swim situations hahaa

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Accurate typing at 16 Hz (960 cpm) takes a certain robotic mind body link, I could not do that.

However I have been tested to read over 900 words per minure with greater than 90% comprehension.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
I sucks typing 35 WPM jeje.
194 CPM

Is just of those days when you don't wanna wake up everything is *****, everybody sucks you really don't know why, but you wanna justify rippin' someone head off!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 00:32
900 WPM reading speed?

Wow. Although, I saw a book that claimed it could train people's reading speeds to 2000 MPM.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 00:37 Edited at: 9th Jan 2004 00:37
raven -- possibly why people always flame you so much is because you exaggerate so often that when you're not exaggerating, people still don't believe you. the boy who cried wolf. then when people flame you you come back with such lame things like "if you put half the damn effort into your coding as you do into trying to bring me down all the time you might actually get good enough to achieve something". glass houses and stones, mister vegeta.. when's the last time you've released a game or posted a model? you work at a software company and have a box that can render images larger than anything in existence, let's see your skills!

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:56:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:56:08