Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] New User- AGK Studio Won't Compile, Run, Export, or Broadcast

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey team,

Long time DBPro user that made the plunge to AppGameKit Studio yesterday but I'm having issues with the most basic of program functions.

I've copied/pasted demo code from the help/tutorial but find that it only runs in Sandbox mode successfully. Clicking compile, run, broadcast, export to Android/HTML 5 all do absolutely nothing. No errors, no information in the window at the bottom (forgive me, I'm at work and don't have the program in front of me to to name the exact window- but basically where to program dumps the log at the bottom).

I'm attempting to figure out how to compile into an .exe and/or export to an apk... and run normally, not in Sandbox mode.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a Dell windows 10 laptop, with updated DirectX 12 drivers.

Thank you!

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2020 22:11
I would uninstall, delete the C:program files (32)/thegamecreators/AppGameKit Studio and the C:\Users\your_id\AppData\Local\AGKApps folders and reinstall
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
There are currently some issues with compiling to Android, but compiling to an ordinary .exe works for me. What demo code are you talking about?
kire5
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I would uninstall, delete the C:program files (32)/thegamecreators/AppGameKit Studio and the C:\Users\your_id\AppData\Local\AGKApps folders and reinstall"

Thanks for replying, I uninstalled and deleted all traces with the same result.

Quote: " There are currently some issues with compiling to Android, but compiling to an ordinary .exe works for me. What demo code are you talking about?"

Thank you, any code has the same result (even the ol' Hello World" code). Nothing happens when I click Compile or Run. Not even an acknowledgment in the bottom Message Window.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2020 00:20
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
In order to Broadcast (Compile > Send to Device) you have to first download the AppGameKit Player, which weirdly isn't under TheGameCreators but instead is by "GAME MAKING FOR ALL"
This actually threw me when I first tried looking for it the other day, to help with someone who was having some Mobile Issues, as I thought it was some 3rd Party / Unofficial thing.

Anyhow, before you broadcast... start the AppGameKit Player, it'll say "Unconnected" but then when you hit "Broadcast" it'll automatically transfer and run.
This I'd argue isn't exactly an "Ideal" way to Develop... unless you're specifically targeting Mobile.

Now the Editor will always go into "Sandbox Mode" whenever you're running a Project from a "Protected" Directory.
What you want to do, is create a Folder (something like C:\AppGameKit or My Documents\AppGameKit) then in Edit > Preferences, on the main screen change the Default Directory to the Folder you just made.

When you Create a New Project, it will Default to this Directory and add a Folder (the name of the Project) in there... and being a Non-Protected Folder will allow AppGameKit to run normally.
Alternatively you can start AppGameKit in Admin Mode.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2020 06:38
Are you trying to compile/run an app from C:\Program Files (x86)\.. because that is a protected directory (As raven said)
XTommy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have found the solution in the forum. Just download libwinpthread-1.dll  from the internet and drop it in /andriod/ .And it works well.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2020 09:22 Edited at: 9th Apr 2020 09:23
AppGameKit Studio will only Run, Compile, or Broadcast a PROJECT, not a SOURCE FILE.
Those options do not work in Sandbox mode (a mode I did not know existed until this thread).

If you click File > New Project and then paste your code into the new project you create, those toolbar buttons will be enabled and function.
kire5
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you to everyone that's replied. I'm working a brutal stretch and haven't had the chance to test suggestions but will do so later today and report back. I just wanted to thank everyone and acknowledge your efforts to help

I'll be back soon!
kire5
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi team,

I can happily report that I'm up and going now after creating the project directory outside of the main program installation folder. Broadcasting is still a little wonky, but I've gotten it working at home (just not at the office yet). Thank you so much for the assistance to everyone that pitched in with suggestions!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:27:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:27:02