Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / VR Speedcubing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2020 11:17 Edited at: 22nd May 2020 01:42
Working on a game that puts you in the shoes of a Speedcuber (Wiki).

General Details

General idea is to "gamify" the process of learning to solve the cube.

There are lots of directions this could explore.

Moving from beginner methods to more advanced methods.
Measuring progress.
Competitions and Leaderboards
Unlocking new moves and new Cubes.

(Don't worry about the camera shaking, that is literally my head. I guess I'm getting old!)

What would you like to see in a VR Speedcubing game?

Challenges
Knowing when the cube is solved is still a problem. The method I'm using to scramble the cube does not take note of piece rotations, so while I can check if all the pieces are in the right positions, it is tricky to determine if they are all at the right rotations. On top of this, the center pieces are allowed to be misaligned relative to the face but still be considered as solved. Ironically I can solve a cube, but cannot yet solve the problem of programmatically identifying a solved cube!

Notes
Tier 1
Currently Oculus Rift & Touch controllers only as I don't have a Vive so I cannot test anything.
3D Positional Audio
Uses the built-in Physics

Bugs
When dropping a cube, the rotation of the new dynamic physics body does not match the rotation of the previously kinematic physics body. I have no idea how to fix this.

Updates
Created some textures for the enviroment.
Added a timer.
Can detect when the cube is solved!

If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving isn't for you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:20:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:20:35