Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Pock-It Pool Simulator Game [AGK V2]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2020 17:21 Edited at: 21st Jun 2020 15:52
Hello ...
Created a 3D pool (billiard) simulator that you can play. Having some minor issues listed below but all in all it is pretty playable. Might build upon this with other versions of pool games if I can find the time. Should be simple enough to figure out because there are no instructions included. Here is the link:

http://www.pencilwedgees.com/games/pockit/pockit.html

New version uploaded (same link above) for 06_21_2020 ...
Changes:
- Added another 365 degrees (half steps) to the angle allowing more precise aiming
- When "aiming" the arrows will jump full steps where the plus and minus buttons jump half steps
- Added a button that toggles between "above" or "pov" when aiming - can also "shoot" from either option
- Changed some of the graphics
Issues:
- Memory leak with the physics is still there. Once again a reminder will pop up after 30 minutes of play
to remind you to refresh the browser - This will reset the memory for you
- Sound still not working with some browsers (Chrome/Chromium/Safari)
What's next?
- Looking to build other games on top of the basics principles of this game. Will post links when ready

Thanks again for all the testing and idea suggestions! ... Bruce

New version uploaded (same link above) for 06_09_2018 ... Thanks again for the suggestions!
Changes:
- Smoothed out the shadows. Hopefully less distracting.
- If more than one ball is returned to play it should position itself one behind the other.
- Reduced the max amount of power you can use making higher power settings appear more realistic.
- Ball(s) will now briefly flash when placed back into play after a scratch or ball knocked off the table helping to identify them.
- Tweaked some of the physic properties of items (little more "bouncy" - might not make it easier).
- Will look into some of the other suggestions on here when I can.

Still issues for now (6_09_2020):
Memory Leak: There is a memory leak with the physics anytime a ball is manually positioned again (re-racking, scratch, re-shoot, or ball out of play). So after 45 minutes a prompt is displayed reminding you to refresh the browser which will reset your lost memory.

Sound: Some browsers aren't playing the sound effects. The audio is in the "ogg" format. Tried "wav" but the results were the same. I can drag-and-drop the audio into a open browser and it will play okay. So I'm not sure ...
Sound Ok: Microsoft Edge, Firefox
No Sound: Chrome, Opera, Chromium, Silk(Amazon Fire Tablet), Safari (MacBook)

Have some mindless fun and comments or suggestions are appreciated ....
Bruce
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2020 18:11
good stuff, wedgeeguy

some feedback from a couple racks' worth (on FF):

on the first rack, i sunk the 15 balls and, instead of re-racking, i scratched to see what would happen. the balls were re-racked, "scratch" showed on the top, the timer continued, but none of the buttons/controls seemed to work. i then re-freshed the page and the timer re-set but i still couldn't do anything.

i reloaded the page for a 2nd rack where i intended to re-rack once i sunk them all but i followed the final ball into the pocket the scratch message went away after a bit (i may not have given it enough time to do so on the first round) but, same as above, i couldn't do anything.

otherwise, the rounds were fun. ~25 shots each time which is on-par with the early play i had with my 2d version of the same. it was nice to see a 3d version and the sound effects were great

meanwhile, my finger was itching to use the middle mouse button. maybe a zoom feature or let it raise/lower the angle or power? and, the balls seemed to "hop" a lot. maybe less when i decided to play with a static 15% power for every shot. i don't know if its the fake shadow trying to match the ball or the physics (is that bullet?) or both, but the visuals were a little distracting.

still, quite fun and i hope that you continue development
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2020 00:31
That is some excellent work and it runs very smoothly in the browser.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2020 04:51 Edited at: 7th Jun 2020 04:51
Very nice work! I found it addicting. Like the pocketed balls dropping down the left side of the screen too.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2020 13:22
This is really nice work.

I did find one issue in my first game (thanks to my scratching skills)...

When a ball is spotted, it will be placed on top of a ball that is already in that spot, rather than placing it behind it as it should be. (see images below)

Not a big deal, but thought I would mention it in case no one else scratches as much as I did and it has gone unnoticed.

Also, thought that the power may need a little tweaking, because I could not really notice much difference in full power and less power until I took it way down.

This is an awesome start though, and this has great potential as the look and effects and already top notch.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
wedgeeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for the excellent comments and suggestions and I see that I still have a little bit more work to do on it.

Virtual Nomad: Didn't think of doing what you did after all the balls were sunk. Thanks for the finding that little bug. The shadows are faked since I don't believe the HTML version has shadows. Will see if I can smooth things out. Also thanks to the link for your pool game (cool!). I'm going to check it out after posting this.

Conjured: Thanks for letting me know about the balls stacking on top of another when they are brought back into play. Thought I had them lining up behind each other like you suggested but from the screen shots apparently not. Will need to investigate further.

Once again thanks everyone. Will post an update when I can squash some bugs ....
Bruce

wedgeeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Virtual Nomad: Played your 2d version. That's pretty good! I won't mention the number of shots it took me to get all of them the first time but I thought I was going to run out of numbers for the shots.

Nice job!
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Really cool.

I have only one suggestion.

A hotkey that show a temporarya top view. Sometimes you can really figure out the angle from Ball to hole...

Great work!!!!
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2020 21:40
Great work! Also like blink0k said it runs very smooth. The completed balls on the side are a nice touch as well.
wedgeeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you DannyD and Fancy Music!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2020 02:49
Played for quite a bit and got this error
wedgeeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks blink0k for the error message. Has to do with the ball's shadow object not being found. Probably when a ball was knocked off the table and out of play (sometimes that happens). Should be easy fix and I will post an update to the same link above when I can. Much appreciated!
wedgeeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello future pool sharks ... Added another game variation to my Pock-it pool simulator and it is called Pock-it Flags Edition. This time you can only pocket the same color ball into the pocket with the same color flag. Use the yellow sections of the bumpers to swap the colors of the flags that are closest to it. Here is a couple of screen shots:

You can find all my games at my website:http://www.pencilwedgees.com/games.html

Have fun and enjoy!
Bruce

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:18:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:18:52