Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Simple and elegant way to land a 3D plane

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2020 00:36
I've been working on this for a while, but not in code. just sitting in the garden and thinking mostly
I find that the most satisfying solutions to problems are when you can apply a method that can make a complex issue so much easier.

I don't know if this is a new approach to this issue, but here it is.
A 2 way-point system for landing a plane, WP 1 fixed (the starting way-point), and WP2 starts a carrot & stick behaviour as soon as the plane arrives at WP1.
WP2 maintains a distance from the plane so that the plane can orientate itself within the distance of itself and the landing point over the allowed time.
WP2 has a Z vector derived from the landing point.
When WP2 intersects the landing point, you can add the nose lift to the plane according to your needs.
When the plane "lands", drop the nose while maintaining the Z velocity.
You need to use a NULL object with the plane attached, as you want to use that for all the spacial positioning and the plane itself is notionally attached (not fix object) to the NULL object and rotated accordingly.

I've left the way-point indicators visible to see how it works.
Without the carrot & stick behaviour, it's not guaranteed that the plane will achieve the desired angles in the distance allowed, depending upon it's approach vector. This way, it works from all angles.

I haven't worked out the magic formula yet (e.g. distance/speed/angle relativity) for the approach vector, I've just trialled different speeds and Way-point positions to see what works.

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2020 05:18 Edited at: 18th Jun 2020 05:19
Very cool idea! And yes that is the fun of this stuff. Always many ways to do things and when you can find a simple way that's the best way imo.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2020 18:38
Nice demo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:58:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:58:44