Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Porting DarkBasic Pro to AppGameKit (Studio) concerns

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2020 23:18 Edited at: 16th Jul 2020 00:23
Hello, I decided to return to Game Creators products and start with porting some of my old Dark Basic projects to App Game Kit.
If I run into any snags, I am sure to post them. I was using several plug ins in Blitzwerks Terrain, and other extension. I am pretty sure all that needs to be reprogrammed again. I am not sure what is features AppGameKit uses.

Within the first hour. I seen I had to change Global Const to #constant. Global (variable) as [byte, word, boolean] to [integer]. Replace () with [].

I can make up some documentation as share it with the community as stuff like this is important to those that want to port their old games over to AppGameKit.

I have experience with dealing with similar issues in the Retro Homebrew Gaming Community, dealing with the Atari 8-bit computer system. A newer cross Basic compiler people have started to use known as Fast Basic, no line numbers, optionally integers. Have written up documentation on how to port from earlier Basics to this newer compiler.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2020 03:22
i'm sure a sort of "transition guide" from DBC/DBPro to AGKS/C would prove useful; looking forward to whatever you produce along those lines.

and, welcome back.
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2020 15:10
So far, I figure out how to change the Global and Local Variable Declarations. Most of the structure is the same between the language, but App Game Kit does include ELSEIF, a very big boost in making the programs easier to set up.
I had many line, box, center text, ink, in a set up for a game option screen.
BOX becomes DRAWBOX parameters enclosed in ()
LINE becomes DRAWLINE parameters enclosed in ()
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2020 18:41
Resttore (label)
Read
Replace with:
Global Dm MyArray[] as Integer = [ (my data values .....) ]

n MOD m becomds MOD(n,m)

Something not in the help command documentation is Global, Local, and Dim. but is only part of "Language" links should also be under "Core" and "Command Index"
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2020 20:49
Get Date$ becomes GetCurrentDate
Randomize (Seed or Timer) becomes SetRandomSize (Seed or Timer)
I made my program actually randomize based on timer + value derived from the date. just to make cheating and hacking a little more difficult. I do not know how some people do it, but they somehow have a timer reset to 0 right before running the application, and make things predictable.

I am posting stuff here as I am figuring out stuff, for notes later on when I make up a guide. Also for others to jump in with any useful tips.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2020 21:10
Quote: "I am posting stuff here as I am figuring out stuff"

the forums are not meant for personal "note taking", PeteyM5. and, you've now triple-posted in doing so.

Quote: "I can make up some documentation"

i was expecting that a draft of your findings would be shared at some point (based on offline notes you'd accumulate, and that statement).

i'll leave this thread unlocked for now to see if it stirs discussion. otherwise, please consider the above.
[My Itch.io Home]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2020 22:47
I was kind of enjoying reading thru this. Was thinking of adding to it myself this weekend when I get time.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2020 01:55
Quote: "Was thinking of adding to it myself "

please do. the idea has good potential
[My Itch.io Home]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 15:36:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 15:36:35