Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / FBX file load failure

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

Would someone be kind enough to demonstrate a simple way to import FBX files into studio please?
.obj seems to be slower in studio, and .dae is sometimes a strange texture, so thought I'd give FBX a shot now I'm using new shiny 3D software in the form of Cheetah 3D.

I understand .dae and .obj just use the simple import method:
texture0 = loadImage("1.png")
mesh0 = LoadObject ("1.obj")
setobjectimage (mesh0,texture0,0)

and FBX should use LoadObjectWithChildren( ), but I can't seem to see a simple example (or get it right without an error even with just as single UV .png file).
eg. Error: Failed to load object "1.fbx" - FBX-Tokenize (offset 0x34) block offset is out of range in main.agc at line 4
or if I remove "SetErrorMode(2)", the app runs, but the mesh is invisible

Thanks for any help (there are no animations I'm my simple models yet)
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2020 14:40
Ok so I'm not familiar with Cheetah 3D (I've become a big Blender junkie) but are you not mapping your texture in Cheetah? I don't think OBJ containers carry the texture mapping and I'm not sure about FBX, but I use DAE without issue and just tried swapping an FBX model:

In my situation the FBX file came in at a blow-up scale but the textures look fine. I apply the texture UV mapping inside blender and it gets saved inside the model. When I load the object and image inside AppGameKit, the mapping data already exists and I don't need to re-apply it.

Hope this helps!
xcode77
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2020 10:41 Edited at: 17th Aug 2020 10:44
Thanks for your reply jd. Im still having issues with fbx, your solution didn't work for me.
Did you use fbx 7.5.0? I have so many options for exporting fbx in cheetah 3d, it gets confusing, so maybe I'm not using agk compatible ones.

Ive been using .dae too for agk, but because Im making models for Roblox too (which doesn't support dae) I was trying to not have to make multiple models in multiple formats with/without UV etc.
My dae files don't even need to load a texture image as I use vertex colors with them (although they're not as efficient) so no color error/bleeding/corruption in agks.
Obj was working fine in hexagon 3d for me (apart from the occasional random crash), but agk studio has a speed issue with obj.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2020 19:08
Quote: "Did you use fbx 7.5.0? I have so many options for exporting fbx in cheetah 3d, it gets confusing, so maybe I'm not using agk compatible ones."

So I might not be the greatest help here as I go with defaults unless I hit any problems. Apparently Blender supports FBX 7.x - it being open source I guess whoever is making that particular export component has it locked to whatever version they have stable as I see no option to change export versions. A lot of people seem to think FBX is superior to DAE format but it was first in the Blender drop down list so like I say I tend to stick with the defaults, I have yet to do much for complicated animations maybe I'll end up having to explore other formats down the road. My understanding is limited but DAE is open source and FBX is/was Autodesk so depending on Cheetah 3d's intended audience they may have spent more time in the the SDK for the FBX container as opposed to sorting through the open source soup of DAE's XML-based background.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:08:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:08:37