Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Barcode Scanning Android/iOS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2020 02:50 Edited at: 14th Aug 2020 02:52
Anyone EVER succesfully integrade Barcode scanning for Android/iOS? in ANY app?

Using Tier1, and Want to use the Build-in Camera for scanning

Internal QRCode work really nice, need UPC barcodes Scanning

Thanks
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2020 08:36 Edited at: 14th Aug 2020 08:37
I had a couple of customers ask for me to implement barcode scanning into my app. I never looked into as only one or two wanted it, but one of those pointed me to this thread:

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/208288

I never tried it but there's example code that may or may not work on the thread.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2020 14:50 Edited at: 14th Aug 2020 16:05
The code was provided by Markus, so I would bet that it works (or will work at least as a basis for a starting point).

The problem you will probably run into is trying to detect which part of the image is the barcode so you can ignore processing the rest of the image, which could result in false results.

The QR codes have the little boxes that define the corners of the area to read, where the barcodes do not.

So, any image with vertical lines (of dark and light colors) could be misread as a barcode.

The laser readers hit only the barcode, but photos are not going to be that accurate, so this task becomes tricky, unless the photo is only of the barcode.

This leaves us with the task of manually cropping the image, so that only the barcode is being processed and not the vertical blinds on the window behind the box you are scanning.

The example in the other thread has bold lines at the top and bottom of the barcode that not all barcodes have, so that should not be relied on as a way to auto detect them.

We also have to detect the end or start lines for the UPC-A or UPC-E standards, so detecting which standard (if any) is being used is another issue to address. (some B2B may have proprietary standards)

I am no barcode or QR code expert, and only know what I find in web searches, but I have played with the memblocks enough to know that this could be done using AppGameKit, but it will require a little work (or a lot) depending on how much control/knowledge you have of the codes you are working with, and the ability to take 'clear' photos as apposed to fuzzy ones.

If you try to get close enough to capture only the barcode, then your auto focus on a phone may not give the desired results (depends on the phone of course).

EDIT

I did find this thread in a quick forum search, and it appears that "Rudders" has made something for barcode input using AGK.

You could try to PM him for more information, and possibly get more help with this.

AND

If you know JavaScript, then you may want to explore this site that has downloads of some code that may help with handling/understanding the technical parts of barcodes.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 15:49:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 15:49:37