Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Choppiness

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Does anyone know why at 60 fps I still get choppiness in my game?

Display code:

Thank you!
www.alexmatei.com
Richard Stevens
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2020 06:44 Edited at: 21st Aug 2020 06:49
Are you getting choppiness on a specific platform or all platforms?

I have a similar problem where I get intermittent choppy performance on android at a solid 60 fps. I can replicate it on windows if I set it to the 'basic' renderer (which i believe the android broadcast uses), so might be worth fiddling with those. https://www.appgamekit.com/news/post/appgamekit-studio-20190805-latest-version-released

Also using setvsync(1) and removing setsyncrate() seems to improve things a bit.. though i'm not quite there yet.

Might help to post the whole thing, or a running demo.
MateiSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll see what I can do with your advice. It appears on PC. The game is only on PC
www.alexmatei.com
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2020 16:42 Edited at: 21st Aug 2020 16:53
Quote: "function gpusettings()
//gpu settings
//frame rate
SetSyncRate(60, 0)
//vsync
SetVSync(0)
endfunction"

They may be fighting each other, or it may be the monitor's refresh rate...

Quote: "
SetVSync
Description

Sets whether vertical sync should be turned on or off. This is the preferred method of limiting the frame rate as it will link the frame rate to the monitor refresh rate and avoid tearing or stuttering. Using this command with mode 1 will override any currently set refresh rate from SetSyncRate, otherwise these two commands would fight each other for control of the frame rate, instead AppGameKit will use the VSync refresh rate which is typically 60 frames per second, but depends on the monitor.
"

"Using this command with mode 1 will override any currently set refresh rate from SetSyncRate, otherwise these two commands would fight each other for control of the frame rate...

Not sure why you need a function for this as it can be placed at the beginning of the code for initialization as in the defaults and examples, but to each his own so do your thing, however multiple calls of this function could potentially cause problems too.

I do not use those shadow maps commands, but after reading a little in the documents, that Map size may be slowing things down.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
MateiSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll test it out
www.alexmatei.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 09:20:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 09:20:56