Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Keep starting/template code vs Code from scratch?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFXIV, Fall Guys, Redout
Posted: 22nd Aug 2020 17:06 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2020 17:59
Hello,

I'm following the most excellent tutorial videos on the official channel on YT, which.. I actually want to say, whoever wrote and created that video series is basically a unicorn. I have watched, read, purchased and otherwise followed so many tutorial/instructional courses by people who clearly know the material but have no idea how to teach... they rush through things, or don't explain things properly, or introduce advanced concepts into a supposed "beginner tutorial", and so on. It gets really discouraging.

Conversely, this series so far has been excellent. Perfectly paced. Well explained. Stays within the realm of "beginner". So, to the individual(s) who put this series together: THANK YOU. You are making learning AppGameKit a very fun and effective experience, and I honestly can't say enough how much I appreciate that. Hats off to you.

That said!

I do have a question, per my subject...

I've created a new project for the lesson in the video I linked above. Specifically, a space shooter. I notice that the default code created with the project is very different from what is typed up in the video. So, I'm just wondering if it's ideal/preferable or not to delete the default code, and type in what the instructor has in the video?

Thanks!
Wolfsong73
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFXIV, Fall Guys, Redout
Posted: 22nd Aug 2020 20:48
So I've basically answered my own question.

I'm typing everything from scratch, following along and experimenting with stuff to test and make sure I understand what's going on.

Have been catching some "fun" mistakes on my part along the way.

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2020 14:31 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2020 14:38
I'm using a basic template for all my games.
It initializes the basic stuff ( resolution, sync rate, font, random seed, game directory etc ), has a basic logger for debugging, all key codes implemented, and the basic constants like FALSE, TRUE etc.

The main loop is a state machine ( game / options / game over ), which can be easily expanded with other states just by adding another CASE statement

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2020 21:49
I have a set of files I start each game with. It's constants file, a boilerplate main.agc, and some placeholder backgrounds. Here's the main.agc file. If I remember correctly, I modeled it after something PSY coded a while back. I keep a lot of stuff commented in the beginning so if I need any of those elements, I just c-n-p and uncomment it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:07:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:07:08