Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / High Score documentary

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2020 03:04
Anyone else watching this series on netflix?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2020 14:52

nah, never heard of it

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2020 17:31
i watched the first episode a couple of weeks ago which was interesting but, apparently, not enough so for me to watch the 2nd since. i know i will at some point but it's not on top of the list.
[My Itch.io Home] | [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] | [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE] | [VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2020 07:44 Edited at: 12th Sep 2020 08:05
2nd & 3rd Eps. now complete. Roberta! Lord British! i was hoping Ep2 would go more into Sound where they kinda just mentioned it. But, i think at least 1 guest from Ep 1 returned in Ep 3 so maybe they'll get back to it.

you might agree that it should be required viewing for every aspiring game maker? or, is it's value strictly nostalgic for some of us?

but, still no mention of the C64. Maybe i'm missing the point of the series. heh

now i'm wondering if they'll mention Legends of Future Past; i maxed 2 credit cards/spent WAY TOO MUCH (@ $3.60 an hour) playing that
was still on the Amiga 500, then, i believe (or was it the 1200?), and a 9600 baud modem that was lighting fast!

then, Asheron's Call after that; Xiang Tso-Fei @ Leafcull Server, BTW

@kevin: High Score
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2020 16:07
I've watched the first few episodes and there isn't a strict chronological order on things, so it's entirely possible they'll go back to things in later episodes.

Amiga had subscription gaming? None that I ever played! Maybe later on 1200, cause I'm pretty certain the 500 didn't have a modem available for a long time.

Guess I should've mentioned what the show was about. It's a history of gaming and how it developed.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2020 18:19 Edited at: 12th Sep 2020 18:22
Quote: "Amiga had subscription gaming?"

it wasn't an Amiga game, per se. anyone with a modem could connect via the 800 number (or then-infantile internet) and play much like connecting to a BBS which there were still plenty of since the internet was just becoming a thing.

i paid the $3.60/hr to connect to their network using the 800 # vs using the internet since it (the internet) was ~1/2 as fast (then, priced @ $1.80/hr).

it was amazing at the time where friends and i had all left our home town (area), and any chance of continuing AD&D campaigns. with Legends, we were able to further the adventure.

one fond memory from the game was that you could skin any/many? creatures that you had slain, and craft something from said skin. then, with the touch instruction, a local message would be "broadcast" describing what you had touched. so, my cohort and i would hang with others in the town square and occasionally offer something like "Jebu touches his kitten skin gloves" as part of the conversation. good times

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:02:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:02:56