Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / VR-Project remains black in VR only

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I started AppGameKit having VR DLC and start the untouched "AGKVR Demo 1 - Castle Basic".

A window pops-up showing the game, showing VR-Helmet movements and controller movements.
When I mount the VR-Helmet on my head the VR-World remains black. Inside VR it looks like there is no source of light.

This is my debug output:

18:11:06: (null) INFO : Geany 1.24.1, German_Germany.1252
18:11:06: (null) INFO : GTK 2.24.10, GLib 2.28.8
18:11:06: (null) INFO : System data dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\data
18:11:06: (null) INFO : User config dir: C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\agk
18:11:06: (null) INFO : System plugin path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\lib
18:11:06: Gtk CRITICAL : _gtk_tree_view_column_autosize: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed
18:11:06: (null) INFO : Bad color 'stringeol'
18:11:06: (null) INFO : Loaded C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\data\tags\main.agc.tags (AGK), 2034 tag(s).

Any ideas?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2020 18:24
Just a guess, and out on a limb, but could it be a permissions problem with those folders/directories?

I only ask that when taking notice of ...18:11:06: (null) INFO : User config dir: C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\agk .... and seeing the user is a Guest.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
grim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2020 19:44 Edited at: 9th Sep 2020 20:19
The profile Guest is a Admin-Account. Other VR games on the Guest-Profile are working great. It is no permission problem, it is a AppGameKit problem.

It makes no sense to think it might be a permission issue. How should this be affected to permissions? The Application can start, recieves position and rotation of the VR-Helmet, shows the rendered content in a window, allowes full interactions but not render light in the VR-Helmet. How should this be gives any kind of permission related protection? The protection from being dazzled? You mean there is a security-flag that is named "preventBeingVirtualRealityDazzledInAGK"? Iv looked everywhere no such security-flag exists. And even if there exist something on profile-layer, a confirmation-dialog from windows would appear.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2020 23:32 Edited at: 9th Sep 2020 23:38
it makes less sense to attack a user who made a suggestion, along with a disclaimer, and expect anything less than a SLAP.

contemplate THIS on the Tree of Woe.
[My Itch.io Home] | [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] | [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE] | [VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2020 12:54
Quote: "It makes no sense to think it might be a permission issue. How should this be affected to permissions? "

Apologies if my question (not a suggestion) upset you.

1) I said I was guessing

2) It was a question, could it be? (again an indicator that I was not sure or certain.

3) It made sense for me to question it as a possibility seeing a Guest account, knowing that sometimes they have less access to files/folders.

4) The part of each of those that says (null) implied that maybe values were not there, which would be the case if the files or folders could not be accessed.

5) You finished your post with "Any Ideas?", which gave me the impression that even a guess would be acceptable here.

6) I provided you with an idea I had, whether right or wrong it would fall under any.

Again, apologies if my guess was incorrect, but I was sincerely trying to help you with the information being given and my limited knowledge of the VR.

I will not offer ANY IDEA for you again when asked in the future, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving your issue here.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2020 11:04
I think this has got a bit too "hot" when nothing nasty was meant.

Can we all be a bit more accepting and helpful?
Development Director
TGC Team
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2020 17:42 Edited at: 11th Sep 2020 17:55
Quote: "I think this has got a bit too "hot" when nothing nasty was meant."

I never got overly upset, just disappointed.

I am not trying to continue any disagreement or cause further trouble here, just trying to explain my position as I did in my last post when addressing the comment and question quoted.

The "Any ideas?" part of his post was taken on my part that any kind of help offered would be acceptable.

In my first response, I not only made a point to make it clear I was guessing, but also made a point to state why my guess was being made.

Only to have the logistics of my idea questioned to the point that I must have been thoughtless and even to the point of asking if I were suggesting things that I did not even say.

This may have not been intended to give offense, but was certainly not any measure of appreciation for any idea offered, and also implied that it may have caused further frustration for some reason.

I was surprised at the slap, and I did not request it or complain about his response to anyone in any way.

However, when reading it, I felt compelled to at least explain my stance pertaining to the quote given, and to make it clear that if my ideas or attempts to help are unwanted, then I will oblige to such a request.

Not in an effort to not be helpful in the future, but to make a point that any help offered, even if it doesn't resolve the issue, was being done so in a friendly gesture, and while appreciation is not expected, ridicule or persecution for not being right may leave the one trying to help ( and/or others ) in a position of not wanting to help if they know they will be questioned for their sincerity or logistics. ( a simple "No, that was not it" would suffice)

Had I said, you need to do this, or you should do this, then I would have better understood his frustration with my idea not helping, but when I had made clear it was a guess and what led me to guessing it, a response of that makes no sense seemed like an attempt to insult, especially when taken to the point of asking if I were suggesting flags that I never mentioned.

Point is, when you specifically ask for "Any Ideas?" then you may get some offered that might not be the best, but that does not mean the person's idea is stupid or not intended to be helpful, which is what his response implied.

Quote: "Can we all be a bit more accepting and helpful?"

Many times I have tried to be helpful unsuccessfully, but once in awhile I do have a good idea or suggestion that does resolve an issue someone is having.

Just one instance of being helpful makes up for countless other instances of not finding a solution, as the reward is seeing someone find a way to resolve their problem.

I am not the only one who has tried to help others and failed, and I expect no praise for success, but ridicule for trying is not going to get many offers of help from others in the future, and that was the point I was trying to get across.

Understood he is a fairly new user, and that many times text can be misinterpreted, and you all know I struggled with forum etiquette as a new user.

So while my comment of not offering help in the future may have sounded a bit harsh, believe it or not, it too was in an effort to help him.

Yes Rick, I will try to be more accepting and helpful, and I apologize if my comments made in an effort to explain my position added any fuel to the fire as that was not my intention.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2020 13:48
Thanks for the response Conjured.
Development Director
TGC Team
grim
Years of Service
User Offline
Dear Virtual Nomad, could you please undelete the posts Iv posted.
grim
Years of Service
User Offline
Dear Virtual Nomad, could you please undelete the posts Iv posted.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2020 16:54 Edited at: 14th Sep 2020 17:29
grim,

the only post that i recall disapproving/deleting was your asking CE if it was ok to cite his initial response in your github post on the issue. i asked you to re-post the question in this thread where it caused the thread to read out of context, otherwise, where CE had already made his 2nd post here.

that (or another) post also included ""Conjured Entertainment, did you feel attacked?" which, since he'd already offered the 2nd response, i felt it was obvious that he had in some way and the post was meant to argue otherwise.

unfortunately, i have no means to retrieve posts that were disapproved or deleted.

add: it was 2 separate posts that i disallowed, and the 2 quotes above were reversed (this is thread # 226818):

and, as offered via PM, i did lock the thread initially, then thought better of it: "i had initially locked the thread then decided to leave it open to provide you the opportunity to apologize to CE, and to continue with a healthy discussion".
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2020 20:46 Edited at: 14th Sep 2020 21:00
in all fairness, and trying to be as transparent as possible, it appears grim was already on post moderation where it appears that i approved the first post which initiated the thread:
Virtual Nomad approve post (2659547) 2020-09-09 17:34:56
...which means that i could have disapproved the 2nd but approved it, instead:
Virtual Nomad approve post (2659553) 2020-09-09 19:57:52
...only to return 3 /12 hrs later, since deciding the 2nd post was a violation of the AUP, and placed grim on Moderation:
Virtual Nomad slap user (1361fd3512da730ccbd9bdef49233101) 2020-09-09 23:31:50

grim,

i don't know why you were already on post moderation prior to creating this thread (if i'm correct that you were); it could simply be a low post count since joining.

but, the post caused me to consider whether or not it was offensive and, obviously, i believed it was, in the end (it did stay in my mind for more than 3 hrs).

the point: i try not to rush to a decision and to be fair and open-minded to everyone. i see my role as trying to help continue the tradition of these forums (which, for many reasons, have kept a lot of us coming back for many years) and being fair an open-minded is part of that.

if i misunderstood the post, i apologize and offer that i will endeavor to give further benefit of the doubt (to you and everyone else), & especially to those, such as yourself, who had no negative feedback of any kind that is visible to me.

meanwhile, i'm glad to see that the issue is being resolved with the developer where it's obviously a valid concern.
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2020 05:56
Quote: "Thanks for the response Conjured."

Glad it was well received ... you are most welcome,

Quote: "Dear Virtual Nomad, could you please undelete the posts Iv posted."

It's all good dude... a simple misunderstanding... no hard feelings, so don't worry about me seeing anything more if that is the intent there.

Quote: ""Conjured Entertainment, did you feel attacked?""

No, but felt like I had somehow caused you grief to the point of lashing out in an attempt to make me look stupid or something.

Again, it was the way the intent to help was received that didn't make sense to me considering the nature of the request for help.

Bottom line ... I was trying to help you ... Virtual Nomad was trying to help both of us... Rick tried to help us all... so it's all good. (molehill not a mountain, so my hatchet is buried.)

Moving on... I cannot help further with this as I have no other idea about what could be going wrong,,, so my lack of further participation here will not be out of any ill feelings over this misunderstanding. (just for the record)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:06:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:06:41