Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [SOLVED] I can't use texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2020 09:09 Edited at: 20th Nov 2020 09:11
Hi guys I enjoy DarkBasic PRO, and my new game going very well!
(posted some pics)
I have just ONE BIG problem.. I am an ape about texturing my objects! Jus't I can't.

As you can see the buildings (almost all buildings) in my game are without textures.,

I am using BOX to make buildings and if I put a texture (example wall+windows textures) so I get the roof textured too.. So I get windows on the roof.. emm not
too realistic.. (you can see a big building in the centre of the city where the texture is in the roof too)

all this is due to the fact that I don't know how to propely use texture commands.. . I try to learn but evidently it's a task too big for me.

So, How I can texture just a side of my box object?
Example:
I have a texture of a wall+windows and I would to put it just in ONE SIDE of the box! not in all 6 sides, just in one..
Please help me! and Thank you all guys.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2020 10:29 Edited at: 20th Nov 2020 10:31
you could create "limbs" that make up the box and then texture each limb individually. A bit like FPSC segments, if you are familiary with those. You could use a modelling package to create mesh "groups" and then texture those individually e.g. using Fragmotion or UU3D or whatever.
I did this for my AutoWelder tool which ports the FPSC universe.dbo to GameGuru and also the same for segments being ported over to GG as entities.

I'll post an example code if you want, unless you don't want to go down this route.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Alduce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2020 11:01 Edited at: 20th Nov 2020 11:05
Yes I got your advice and I start to search and I find something nice!
so please take a look at this code

Use the image I made and attached. (600x600 pixels)

With this code I can KNOW where to paint my roof! I know exactly the right sides to apply a paint!

Could obtain a smallest code for that?

TETTO = ROOF
LATO = SIDE
TERRENO = GROUND

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2020 07:46
Why don't you use a modeler for that?
Just texture your models in "face"mode , export to .x and import into DBP
Alduce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2020 13:53
Hi Scorpyo, in the ocean of modellers I lost direction.. Deled, Milk Shape.. etc..
What is your advice about? the best free modeller. I need an easy solution!!

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2020 08:37 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2020 08:52
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
My main tools are :

- 3D Modeling: Milkshape3D (not free but cheap) - Low poly modeler with good level texturing tools and animation capabilities , though lately , for character animation I've exlusively been using Mixamo.

- Terrain : L3DT - Random terrain generation based on initial parameters but with sculpting and editing capabilities and heightmap import (basic version free - Pro version allows for bigger terrains) - you can save heightmap and generate terrain texture for usage in DBP later on.
lots of other features also. Texture blending not so straightforward - You may consider Tersculptv2 mentioned in latest posts here.

- Animation : Mixamo - upload .obj character in T or A pose , set skeleton joints, choose animation and download animated model in FBX format - you will need a converter from FBX to .x - best one for me has been Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro (not free but cheap).

- Deep texturing and format converter: Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro (not free but cheap). I mainly use it for converting fileformats - -namely FBX to x or viceversa. Best trouble free .x importer/exporter found so far. - Allows to blend all single FBX animations done with Mixamo in a single one and export to X

- 2D image editing : 1) Pixelformer - Allows BMP to PNG with alpha transparency conversion - And opacity tweaking for glass like textures - using layers you can blend solid color with semi-transparent areas in png format ( like windows with frames )
2) GIMP

Others free that I know of are:

- Blender : Totally comlpete and professional - horrible interface till version 2.8 but i haven't tried this last one yet. Seems to handle FBX and .x formats fine.
- Wings 3D
- Anim8or - Low Poly
- DeleD - Low poly but with added bonus of Lightmapping capabilities

You might want to research a bit on all of theese and watch some YT tutorials

Cheers
Alduce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2020 08:07
Scorpyo again thank you so mutch! Your help is just total!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:45:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:45:50