Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Apple Silicon support in AGK Tier 2 & Tier 1

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2020 20:49
So I just got my new MacBook Pro with M1 (a very powerful beast honestly) and obviously the first thing I did was test its support for AGK.

It's running *fine* on Rosetta 2. I tried to compile the Tier 2 template to ARM64 but the libAGKmac.a library is still x86_64. When can we expect an update to have full ARM64 support ?
PCG Lover
Using AppGameKit Tier 1&2

My creations:

[Tier 1 PLUGIN] Wave Function Collapse for Tier 1
Kakise
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2020 21:56 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2020 23:07
Turns out I forgot the AGKTier2 lib is open source.

I did it myself, here's a dirty port of AppGameKit for Apple Silicon. Works like a charm ! Performance improved by up to 30% in the various Tier 2 demo I tried.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/Kakise/AGKTier2onAppleSilicon

UPDATE: Added an updated template that compiles perfectly on Xcode 12 M1 !

If someone on the staff wants to get in touch to have more info about how to port it I'm down with it. AppGameKit Studio isn't open source afaik, so I couldn't look into it much but I already started changing memory management on the studio interpreter to make it compatible with Apple Silicon
PCG Lover

My creations:

[Tier 2]AGK Tier 2 library port for Apple Silicon
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2020 00:29
Nice one I was wondering about AppGameKit on Apple Silicon and hope that getting Tier 1 up and running won't take a massive effort or a loooong time to appear. I'm very tempted to grab a base model of the mini as a Christmas present for myself, lol.
Kakise
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2020 22:50
Quote: "Nice one I was wondering about AppGameKit on Apple Silicon and hope that getting Tier 1 up and running won't take a massive effort or a loooong time to appear. I'm very tempted to grab a base model of the mini as a Christmas present for myself, lol."

Per my testing it was pretty ok. I just hope they'll support Apple Silicon natively sooner rather than later. Vulkan and OpenGL are both depreciated so even if it's just a matter of changing how memory is allocated in AppGameKit (there are some aligned memory allocation that uses intel's API that is not compatible with ARM64 but C++11 added aligned_malloc to the standard as a drop-in replacement), they'll still have to update to metal at some point.
PCG Lover

My creations:

[Tier 2]AGK Tier 2 library port for Apple Silicon
andyflet
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the review! good info

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:55:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:55:52