Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] AppGameKit Player that runs Tier 1 code on Xbox Series X

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2020 01:34 Edited at: 8th Dec 2020 01:34
H all,

I have been developing a new AppGameKit Player (AGK BASIC interpreter) in C# that runs on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP). My plan is to get AppGameKit tier 1 games/apps to run on the new Xbox Series X and S consoles natively. It only costs $19 to enable dev mode on the consoles, and then you can sideload apps in a similar manner to Android devices https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/store/register/.

Ive ported as much of the current C++ Interpreter to C# as I could, and filled in the blanks. Ive then used the open source Monogame framework to recreate AppGameKit commands to try and match them as close as possible to the real AppGameKit.

It is still in the early stages of development, but have got it working with enough AppGameKit commands to run a number of the tier 1 AppGameKit example projects on my Xbox Series X.

Snake Snacker:

Goals Screen Scrolling Demo:

SpaceShooter Demo:

As you can see in the spaceshooter demo there are missing features such as collision detection and particles, as well as bugs due to this being very early in development.

I plan on using this thread to keep everyone updated on my progress.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2020 11:52
WOW Absolutely astonishing work! This is really useful! I will follow your progress
13/0
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2020 21:35
Excellent work
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2020 22:32
Woah!
Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 9 3950X 64GB DDR4 - RTX 2080 SUPER
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2020 21:58
Wow! This is absolutely awesome! Very well done.

I'd love to be able to develop for the Xbox family of consoles with AppGameKit, and I really look forward to seeing where you take this.

Keep up the incredible work!
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2020 13:03 Edited at: 14th Dec 2020 13:04
Hardyx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2020 19:49
Wow, nice work. I think this can be run in Xbox One S/X too?
This is a good new platform for AppGameKit to test and play AppGameKit games.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2020 23:00 Edited at: 31st Dec 2020 23:07
Quote: "I have been developing a new AppGameKit Player (AGK BASIC interpreter) in C# that runs on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP). My plan is to get AppGameKit tier 1 games/apps to run on the new Xbox Series X and S consoles natively."

Sounds too good to be true, but....nice work.

I should have known about the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) 5 years ago, but only recently discovered it can be used for Xbox One consoles (and forward).

So, I have been looking into that too and considering taking the C# leap.

You have beaten me to it by a mile, but I have plans to take GQ to Xboxes once I get it finished in AGK.

Quote: "I plan on using this thread to keep everyone updated on my progress."

Please do.

I wasn't going to do it the way you are.... I was just going to recode it in the new language making whatever changes I needed to.

I was day dreaming about Paul adding the Xbox builds via UWP to our export options, but knew it was just a dream.

Quote: "It only costs $19 to enable dev mode on the consoles, and then you can sideload apps in a similar manner to Android devices"

That sounds sweet, and now I have to consider stepping up to the new Xboxes.

However, the Xbox Ones are hitting Craigslist now for as little as $100 with controllers and games, now that the new consoles are out.

So, I was just going to pick up one of those Xbox Ones cheap. (yes... I am still playing on PS3 and Xbox 360, but now I can step up again to be one step behind to save money and the easiest way to recycle is to reuse, so buy used)

I think in order to use the UWP SDK for the Xboxes you have to agree to a no competition thingy... so if you release a title for the Xbox, then you can only distribute to Windows Platforms... PC.. Windows Mobile and the Xbox. (I have no problem with that if that is still the policy.?.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Finally had some time to work on this further.

Ive been focusing on getting the Space Shooter example to fully work since it uses a broad range of 2D AppGameKit commands. Since my opening post Ive:

Added in support to emulate accelerometer inputs using a keyboards cursor keys
Started working on adding in particles support with a good number of commands working.
Added support for the sprite collision commands.
Fixed transparency issues with PNG's
Fixed Sprite rendering issue for sprites that are set to the same depth.
Added in more core commands.

The video below was capture from my Xbox Series X running the Space Shooter example.

I plan to have all the particles commands completed this week, and then go back to finishing the Sprite commands.
Vectrex71CH
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2021 13:12
Absolutely GREAT!! I will follow your progress !!!
haliop787
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With reality.
Posted: 25th Feb 2021 01:21
Hmm i wonder if it uses Opengl or Vulkan...

Amazing work. Already thinking of all the possobilities.
Cause this may lead AppGameKit to a new frontier.

Tier 3. "About the same but with the ability to hold a steady 60 fps AAA"
Nadav "Haliop" Rosenberg
Lets make the world great forever.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2021 17:35 Edited at: 1st Mar 2021 17:36
Quote: "Hmm i wonder if it uses Opengl or Vulkan..."

The Mono Game UWP API that I am using to build this uses Opengl.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2021 17:01
Excellent.

With your xbox player, we will able to export for xbox and play our game on a xbox one (or send our game to the xbox-store to play it) ?

I will be interested to send my free game arkeos chronicle (2D RPG) to the xbox ^^.

Do you have a list of commands ready ? Or a roadmap ?
It's cool for particles, don't forget the blendmode for explosion .

Do you think to add joystick commands ? (Because, for Xbox, it's important I think ).

Thanks a lot !
It's really great !
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
This is mind bogglingly stunning! Wow... just wow! I am always dead impressed by how techy some of you guys are!!!!

Begs the question... how much does it cost be a dev and to launch a title on XBOX Series X? Is there a small indie friendly route?

AQUILLANTO - A side-scrolling platformer with super tight controls, 3 worlds to explore, hordes of monsters and a quest... Inspired by games on the Amiga computer

FOLLOW ON TWITTER
SEE THE YOUTUBE CHANNEL

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "With your xbox player, we will able to export for xbox and play our game on a xbox one (or send our game to the xbox-store to play it) ?"

Yes. right now just need to add the contents from your AppGameKit tiers 1 media folder into the UWP project and run the app. There is an extra step if you use OGG files, but no code changes required. When i have the time ill upload a video of how this works.

Quote: "Do you have a list of commands ready ? Or a roadmap ?
It's cool for particles, don't forget the blendmode for explosion[quote=]

Currently there isnt a roadmap, I am working my way through the examples that come with the AppGameKit and adding in commands when required. Right now I am working on getting the visual editor working correctly. When I have time ill list what commands currently work, and from now on what commands I have just added. Right now I am adding in the read and write file commands.

"
Do you think to add joystick commands ? (Because, for Xbox, it's important I think ).
Quote: "
Funny enough Ive still to add in the joystick commands. None of the AppGameKit examples Ive tested with use them yet. The Xbox One and Series X are compatible with USB keyboards which Ive been using for testing.

"
This is mind bogglingly stunning! Wow... just wow! I am always dead impressed by how techy some of you guys are!!!!

Begs the question... how much does it cost be a dev and to launch a title on XBOX Series X? Is there a small indie friendly route?[quote=]

Cheers! Its $19 to be able to run your code on your Xbox devices. Im sure that also includes the cost to put your games on the windows store. There 2 different way to release games on the Xbox. UWP through the windows store, and as a registered Xbox Developer. The advantage of doing the Xbox Developer route (Im not) is that you had have access to better SDK so your apps run better on Xboxes.

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2021 16:01 Edited at: 17th Jun 2021 16:02
Sorry for not updating sooner, I was waiting to get a new capture device for my Xbox before posting an update.

Here are some of the biggest features I have added since my last update:

Improved how apps are rendered so that they keep their correct aspect ratio.
AGK types are now fully working (took along time to get sorted).
AppGameKit Visual Editor now supported.
Added virtual mouse support to allow AppGameKit mobile apps to run with the player using the Xbox controller as a mouse.
Added Video support. PlayVideoToImage is not supported so videos play over sprites and text.
Wav files now work with sound commands.
Mp3 files now work with music commands.
Added all Maths commands.
Added collision detection commands.
Added in Sprite Frame Commands

I have moved to testing using commercially released apps. Here are two videos from 2 apps running on the Xbox Series X:

This is a game I built for the Blackberry Playbook called Nuclear Defence Force. This reveals a good few bugs, with the most obvious being issues with the text displaying.

This is the HTML5 demo version of the Hazard app that I built for TGC a few years back running on the Xbox. Since PlayVideoToImage is currently not supported the video plays over the circles sprites that highlight hazards.

I am currently fixing a bug with the interpreter having issues with retrieving the correct values for variables that were past into functions that only happens in larger apps. When I have fixed this I will go back to adding in more commands.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 02:41 Edited at: 18th Jun 2021 03:39
Quote: "This is the HTML5 demo version of the Hazard app that I built for TGC a few years back running on the Xbox."

Cool

I was impressed and inspired by this thread, and I am glad that you unlocked it.

I finally got around to downloading Visual Studio 2017 UWP Package and have had a few successful tests too.

First, was the joystick hurdle, but that was easy enough.

Then I wanted to test the memblock functionality with the AGK/HTML5 ---> UWP via VS2017, and that went well too.

I am pondering your driving video though, because some of my simple 3d tests for HTML5 builds have failed.

Well done, and I hope to join you soon with a video of a finished build. (a few of my unfinished projects are now screaming Xbox @ me)

EDIT
(inspired once again)

Eureka!

More brain farts, but now that I have that out of my system... my 3d tests for HTML5 builds are now a success. WOOHOO!

Your advice about running in VS without debug mode was stellar as well. (WOW what a difference)

Anyway, thanks for all the awesome help and advice you have given in your threads about this Xbox topic.

I am looking forward to what you come up with next.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:53:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:53:23