Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / There are massive pros and cons to being a newby in this community...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
By far the biggest PRO is that there is an absolute massive wealth of brilliance of minds who have contributed and sort to make AppGameKit a real joy to work with. I love that you have all sort to make this tool a joy and ease to use for people like myself.

I honestly whish I had discovered this years ago!

And so the cons...

There is only 1! There just isn't enough hours in the day to read/replicate/study and learn from the endless examples that are on display here. I see people who have been here for more than 10-15 years and I'm in awe at their commitment to this project.

In summary, thank you to all of you who have built this project to what it is now. I spent 70quid this year and think its the best thing I spent money on in years.

Thank you all who made this possible and wishing you a Happy Christmas for 2020.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2020 12:41
Hello and welcome Paxi I can agree with the joy of using AppGameKit, I use it on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing what you come up with Merry Christmas
13/0
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2020 19:36
Things I love the most in order. Kids,agk,food,wife lol

Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2020 23:48
Agreed. The crowd here is amazingly knowledgeable and equally helpful.
I joined one of the itch.io game jams and there was a real sense of camaraderie among the group.
AGK is a great kit and the community is really one of the best.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2020 16:17
Yea there's some old guys around here. I've been lurking since the DB days when I was 16.... I'm almost 40 now! I have literally spent half my life visiting this community. I should have a lifetime achievement award! (at the very least for remembering a password that long) lol
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2020 08:58
Its a good community quieter then I would like sometimes. Not as socially conducive as some other game sites. There are advantages and disadvantages of using agk but for me it doesn't matter i love the simplicity of basic code and dbpro/agk are kinda like an old friend we say hello each day, sometimes we go fishing or have coffee and if we decide to get aggressive and use some elbow grease we can do anything we put our minds to. AppGamekit has major disadvantages of some of the big engines but it also has major advantages It's really up to you to see if your going to be best buds or just acquaintances. The community is always here to help and some of us love nothing more then to help or teach. Id recommend finding a coding buddy and joining discord for a more enjoyable experience if your a social butterfly. We hope you enjoy tgc and stay as long as phaelax just don't forget your password and the best programmers are not the smartest but the most patient.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2020 00:48
Quote: "and stay as long as phaelax just don't forget your password"

Taking jabs at me I see!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2020 07:27
Been here since DBClassic 1.04 where it arrived by post as TGC didn't exist back then, so probably a lot longer than the time on the counter (more like 22 years as it was 1999 when I started sf2000)
-EdzUp
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EdzUp
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2020 04:32
Ed, were you part of the RGT days? Or LLRGT?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2021 18:03
Another Satisfied Customer

Welcome to the world of sleepless nights, caffeine addictions, face palms and Eureka moments ...... lol

Learning something like AppGameKit takes dedication but its not difficult to learn, you seem committed to the task so I'm sure you will do fine just remember baby steps, one problem at a time dont try and make that killer game off the bat that never gets finished (I say this from experience!) make small tea break games to learn the system and move on from there with a few projects experience.

Happy Coding

Samrich
User Banned
Posted: 18th Mar 2021 14:01
I can agree with the joy of using AppGameKit, I use it on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing what you come up with

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:17:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:17:02