Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Monolith: a new freeware video game written in Dark Basic Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2020 22:18 Edited at: 25th Dec 2020 22:21
Developed by me, Monolith is a freeware video game, inspired by the classic game The Sentinel and a hoax preview of a nonexistent sequel called Monolith, published in April 1995 on the Italian gaming magazine The Games Machine. This game is heavily based on procedural generation, which allows it to feature over 10000 levels with a 6.54 MB executable.

Download: https://devilmaster.altervista.org/monolith.html

Screenshots:

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2020 13:06

Looks like fun... I started the game but couldn't find any keypress instructions.

How do I move and what are the other actions I can perform?

Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Devil Master
Years of Service
User Offline
By moving the mouse like you would in a first-person shooter, you will be able to look around.
If you look down, you will notice a small white sphere on the terrain in front of you. This cursor is your means of control and movement.
If you press the right mouse button and then move around, you will notice how the cursor moves in different directions. You will notice how moving the mouse left and right rotates your point of view and makes the cursor circle around you, and moving it back and forth moves the cursor towards (or away from) you.

While you were looking around, you will have seen that there are many trees within the landscape. These are for you to take to build up your energy. We shall start by absorbing a tree.
Now look at the tree and move the cursor towards it. Ensure that the cursor compenetrates part of the tree. Now press the left mouse button. You will see the tree disappear before your eyes. The tree, or at least the energy, still exists. If you look to the number on the bottom the screen, you will notice that it says "011". If you noticed this section before, you will remember that it used to say "010". This is because the energy of the tree is now part of you.

Now that you know how to absorb an object, it is time to create an object. From the starting position, look around the landscape until you find a horizontal patch of land that doesn't have anything on it. Then, with the cursor on the target square, press the 'B' key on the keyboard. A boulder will appear (well, it looks more like an integrated circuit, but we're calling it a boulder anyway). Now press the key 'R'. You will see a Synthoid appear on the boulder. You are almost there.
Now press the the key 'Q'. The camera will align with the Synthoid you just created and it will move towards its head. When it stops, you will be able to look around again. You have just transferred into the second Synthoid!
When the transfer is complete, you can turn around and look back at your old Synthoid. Absorb it as you would a tree and your energy level should be the same as before you moved into a new Synthoid, but because you are also standing on a boulder, your position in the landscape will be higher. Because of this higher position you will now be able to see much more in the landscape; more trees to absorb, more positions to move to.

The goal of a level is to absorb the Sentinel standing on its platform, create a new Synthoid shell in its place and then hyperspacing to a new level, which you do by pressing H. Note that if you jump to hyperspace when you're not on the sentinel's platform, you'll reappear in a random spot of the same level.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2021 21:40
Thanks!

I noticed when I press 'P' it generates a random level.
Also, the spacekey does some kind of movement I don't quite understand, but maybe I'm not supposed to use it.

It's quite a challenging game!
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Devil Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I noticed when I press 'P' it generates a random level.
Also, the spacekey does some kind of movement I don't quite understand, but maybe I'm not supposed to use it."

Are you using the "new" control scheme? Because in that scheme, the spacebar activates hyperspace, which is either used during a level as a means to escape from the sentinel's gaze in an emergency, or at the end of the level to access the next one. Instead, hyperspace is activated with H in the "old" control scheme.
The P key was supposed to be a debug feature, evidently I forgot to turn it off.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 07:23:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 07:23:07