Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can we create VR apps for Oculus Quest (1/2) with AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2021 23:26
I have the VR DLC for AppGameKit and was wondering if we can export to android and test on the Oculus Quest (1/2)? I would very much like to create games for Oculus Quest and I really do not want to use Unreal or Unity.

If anyone knows that would be great.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2021 15:33
No one? I searched and there are two other posts but no real answers. I was wondering if perhaps the VR package has been updated with support for Quest 1/2 support?

Thanks.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2021 05:47
I have been wondering about Oculus Quest 2 compatibility too.

As you said, the research brings up little as far as definitive answers.

I even found Oculus listing the Quest 2 OS as being "Oculus" instead of "Android" like the other models.

While it is stand alone and does not require a PC to run, I am pretty sure (from more research) that it does in fact use Android.

So, my best guess is that it is VR like the rest, and should be doable.

I am so tempted to get an Oculus Quest 2 just to find out (and because I am ready to explore VR development now), especially with GGMAX coming out soon.

I guess that is the only way we will know for sure. (I'll let you know whatever it is that I can get working or fail at when the time comes)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2021 06:56
the vr dlc is a plugin so it will only work on a pc as plugins dont work on mobile. It uses openvr which is the steam vr platform I believe. I did get it to work on my 1st version quest through the link to the pc but as an app for the quest requires their sdk and I don't think the dlc supports it directly.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2021 22:24 Edited at: 6th Jan 2021 22:41
Quote: "the vr dlc is a plugin so it will only work on a pc as plugins dont work on mobile. It uses openvr which is the steam vr platform I believe. I did get it to work on my 1st version quest through the link to the pc but as an app for the quest requires their sdk and I don't think the dlc supports it directly. "

Thanks!

I guess a better question now would be...

Can all you guys that are using the VR DLC please tell us about the Headsets you guys are already using with AppGameKit?

That way, new users to the VR will know exactly which headset plays the nicest with AGK.

Any help by sharing your AGK-VR experiences is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to another recent thread that sheds some light on where the AGK-VR stands with Oculus so far...

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/227191

Looks like so far...

Oculus Rift

Oculus Rift S

Oculus Quest

Oculus Quest 2 * (user feedback)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
= YES compatible
= UNTESTED
= NO, not compatible

The Rift S is untested by TGC but confidence of it being compatible is high.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
ruckertheron
Years of Service
User Offline
I left my rift S over my cousin's house for the holidays and he is sending it back. Will take a week or 2 before I dig in but I will be posting my results!!!
ruckertheron
Years of Service
User Offline
Works like a charm!! Oculus Rift S works with the VR plug in pretty good!
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2021 21:20
Nice to know, thanks

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
JWarren
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if anyone is still interested, but for the record, I made several VR apps that run just fine on the original Rift. I just got (today) a Quest 2 and hope to try sideloading one of my test apps to it sometime this week if life doesn't get in the way. From what I've read, you guys are right that the OQ2 uses Android. I'll let you know how it goes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 15:54
since this is sort of a go-to thread for VR, unlocking to see if there are any updates to the above tests?

also, has anyone used the plugin with Studio where i understand that it's supposed to work there, as well?
[My Itch.io Home] [AGK on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 19:47
The AppGameKit VR Plugin does work with AppGameKit Studio now... but Plug-Ins aren't supporting on Android and iOS.
You'll have to use the built-in AR (Augmented Reality) instead, but then it doesn't technically support the VR Systems.

What might be frustrating is VR Support is built-in., but not exposed and I'm not 100% it actually works.
I don't know why TGC doesn't support VR / Stereoscopic by default

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:47:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:47:52