Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Automation - The Ladder Logic PLC Simulator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2021 20:36 Edited at: 9th Jan 2021 20:43
Right around 3 years ago I discovered AGK2 thanks to them using the word 'sprite' in one of their adverts somewhere. The nostalgia of Action Script 3 and the fun I used to have with Flash brought me back to an old Flash project I started but never got far with as life and kids have do. But I am happy to make this the first public announcement of my game Automation. My day job is an electrical controls designer but I've always enjoyed computer programming so put the two together to make a simulator for learning actual ladder logic PLC programming. The left hand side of the screen is the ladder that you drag 'logic blocks' to program the 'machine'. You can add branches and have a complicated parallel ladder structure, all handled with what I'm calling my 'Logic Engine'.

I don't have any fancy promotional videos prepared, but here is a sample 2D level and the latest 3D level I am finishing up now. The 2D level shows the different Logic Blocks that are available as well as a control panel you can add and customize. Outside of the first level having some restrictions, the game is open-ended and you can make the machines as efficient or as clunky as you want. My wish list of features is getting lower (I just can't stop coming up with more...) and then I am absolutely going to get a playable demo out as I need help testing

Although I started out with full intention of this being cross-platform, it is now going to be a Windows release and I will see how adaptable it is to touch screens down the road. Aiming for Steam this year, I have too many other projects eating at me to let this go on much longer...

Thanks!
John
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2021 20:49 Edited at: 9th Jan 2021 20:53
intriguing. and, i can't remember the last time i said that.

everything looks clean and i'm looking forward to playing with it.

congrats on this, JD. and for sorting out the youtube embeds (which i was going to fix for you after i watched them).

ps, thanks for bringing "hello world" to a new level. it's been a long time coming. and, thanks for sharing
[My Itch.io Home] [Now Playing]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2021 01:10
Here is an updated demo showing the more or less completed flipper table level, as well as the basics in rung and branches if anyone is ever interested in learning PLCs. Currently there are 6 x 2D levels and 7 x 3D levels completed that just need lots of graphics and sound polish.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2021 19:58
That looks superb. Awesome work
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2021 22:05
That is seriously cool. Amazing work man!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2021 12:43
It looks amazing. It been quite a while since I programmed a PLC. I'll keep an eye out for the steam release.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2021 15:14 Edited at: 18th Apr 2021 15:16
Spent some time with sound, and its not 100% there yet, but have a balance and distance factor applied now. Used the 3d sound example by Jack but instead of sound coming from the center point of an object I am trying to expand it to be emanating from the entire object.

Here is an updated level with the sound:
[video=youtube]EPnioVHs61I[video=youtube]

edit: I always fail at these YouTube links for some reason...
https://youtu.be/EPnioVHs61I
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2021 16:03
Absolutely spiffing ( learned that expression while reading Harry Potter )

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2021 18:51
Brilliant work... very polished look to it
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2021 01:47
I think this is going to be maximum in complexity I will be able to take the "machines" until some future interface upgrades make things less cumbersome to program. The irony of having to program the game level to test the game level I'm programming...

See if I can figure this YouTube video link out again, here is the box palletizer level with lots of sound work to go all around.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2021 02:22
Having fun with making an intro video, first step was a control to turn all the UI on and off.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2021 03:45
very cool
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2021 17:00
Steam store page application page has been submitted, getting closer to reality now! Thanks to my twin daughters I have in-house artists and voice over talent

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2021 08:48
very cool. you've all done well
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2021 02:57
So thought I should post something here it has been way too long... The Steam store is up and I think I have the updating builds / depots figured out enough to be dangerous.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1698690/Automation/

Release date is November 16, I have some spare keys requested if anyone is interested in trying this out I would love some feedback feel free to PM me on here. There are a lot of moving parts with this "programming simulator" so I'm expecting that eventually someone will try something that I haven't. Also any feedback on pricing suggestions would be appreciated.

There are 14 machines to design counting the really basic introductory ones, so I will plan on additional machines through updates down the road and just get what I have polished up. My game sounds are awful / non-existent and will be a major focus for finishing up the levels.

As for the core "logic engine" - some work to finish up the control panel and then just testing testing testing. My website is embarrassing so I need to spend a little time getting that fixed up hopefully before launch.

Couple random screenshots here to throw in. Happy programming!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2021 03:33
looking great and thanks for the update. i've wishlisted on steam.
you're almost to the finish line
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 11:58
@jd_zoo, I'd be interested in trying this. Although I haven't done any PLC programming for a few years I used to do quite a bit with Allen Bradley, Telemechanique and Siemens S7.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2021 12:57 Edited at: 6th Nov 2021 12:58
@Zaxxan I have requested another batch of keys and will message you one when I get them. I've used Allen-Bradley the most and this interface is similar with the Program/Run switch (however due to space its reduced to Code/Run.)

I am pushing back the public release date until January, I spent this week fixing bugs instead of polishing. The ladder logic engine is working amazingly well - I just need to come up with a lesson plan to teach it...
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 19:12 Edited at: 7th Nov 2021 19:12
Ok, I look forward to trying it
Robin Kinge
Years of Service
User Offline
Absolutely beautiful. As a life-long Omron user I'd love to try this out.

Robin
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2021 23:50
Hey Robin thank you that is great to hear! My first PLC was an Omron CPM1A from E-bay, still works all set up in this old PC case:

http://www.onetreehillstudios.com/Automation/PLC/PC-PLC/index.html

I took a little break from programming (Forza 5 is just BEAUTIFUL...) but getting back in the groove now.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 15:09
Just uploaded Beta 0.4 with huge cache of added content and bug fixes. Still on track for full release Jan.24, 2022!

Next push will be for: level sounds, "about" menu, refresh the "basics" menu, and then final work will be on the control panel gremlins for the release date.

Future updates planned for after the release date include more levels, better sounds, and of course any bug fixes as needed. Also the basics menu / level splash intros will be considered "in development" until I get enough feedback on programmers trying out ladder logic for the first time.

jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2022 01:59 Edited at: 17th Jan 2022 02:01
Beta 0.5 uploaded tonight. Two bug fixes and completely revamped 2D sprite sounds for impacts and movement. Still some polishing to avoid the popcorn sound of a pile of dynamic sprites shifting around. This will get translated to the 3D sounds at some point in near future but likely after initial release. Also first pass at the About Menu but its going to be fine for release once I get last graphics in there,

This week I'm going to completely re-do the Basics Menu on the front screen. Plan right now is to switch from the slide show to a series of videos, which means harder to make changes down the road but I need a better way to get people started quickly.

One week to release. Four years in development. An idea that started 10 years ago in flash and sat untouched until an AppGameKit advert on Steam. 50+ thousand lines of code. After this my next project is going to be mind-numbingly simple and I can't wait to get started.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2022 20:07 Edited at: 24th Jan 2022 20:09
congrats on today's release, jd!

while i see you're continuing the hard work with the first round of bug fixes, i do have one (more) suggestion:

please provide a (PDF?) quick reference card for play? i've viewed the video (and your voice actress is tops, btw) but about mid-way through i realized i should have been taking notes :/ i'll be sure to dig in and find my way through it anyway but think a QRC would be helpful.

meanwhile, how do i simply buy a steam key? when i try to buy it as a gift, it asks which friend i want to deliver it to. but, i have another idea re: where i want it to end up.

and, since the key that you provided me with some time ago still works, it's the least i could do to thank you for the shout out (and show support for all of your hard work, of course!)
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2022 20:41
@Virtual Nomad thank you so much! It has been a good monday I'm really happy to have reached this point.

The video is crazy long, that's my daughter doing the vocals, but it was a scramble to get done - literally started it friday night and when it got pieced together I cringed at the documentary we had created. A PDF reference card is an amazing idea and I think the best way to remedy this until can come up with better reference guide.

I do not know about buying a Steam key, the one I sent should be good and if anyone other Game Creator forum regulars would like to try this out please message me. I'm not doing this for the money and you have all helped me get to this point!

It was cool to see me make it to the new release list for a while. As I kept hitting refresh and watching it move down the list, it was impressive to see the quality of most of the other games also released on Steam today. Goes to show that you can very easily put a lot into something and it gets buried quickly with the volume of games release daily.

The "basics" documentary in question:

We are officially live to world now. Hope this works.

Thank you!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2022 21:08
then, take this for now:

and, consider adding it to the AGK Showcase so i can award you another

jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2022 23:24
VN I am humbled, greatly appreciated thank you.

I have just filled out a profile for the AppGameKit Showcase - I actually didn't know that was a separate thing from here. I also desperately need to update my website, the "coming soon" is from 2020...
DewarInversion
Years of Service
User Offline
I really enjoyed playing this game. A great demonstration on what can be achieved in AGK. I'm wondering what you have in store for us next?
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2022 01:11
Hi and thanks @DewarInversion , next game is going to be super simple and phone based (at least that is the current plan...)

AGK has been the answer I was looking for, easy 2D sprites and functional 3D all under one hood.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2022 23:43
@VN hey thanks that is awesome! I may make a 3D print model so I can have a trophy for my desk...

I have finally finished another updated, although it took a lot longer than I had hoped. New are two types of digital scoreboards, to help with the "level complete" and give user some feedback. Now implemented in 3 levels, more to come but am finding and fixing some bugs along the way.

More to come, will be a while before I actually get to my next new project.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2022 02:05 Edited at: 4th Apr 2022 02:06
New version 1.0.6 is out now to address bug fixes, I have identified a couple big bugs that will be top priority for another updated asap.

I have been working on my website a bit over past couple weeks, still under construction but starting to piece something resembling a professional site. Discovered that a website security certificate is going to more than double the hosting costs but is the price of business I guess, still waiting for the verification process to go through on that one...

http://www.onetreehillstudios.com/automation.html
Check out Automation on Steam now
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2022 22:40
Version 1.0.7 is out now, a bit late for the start of Steam Summer Sale which is going on until July 7.

Binary save game structure has a huge performance boost over the old CSV file. Can check out the separate thread on it here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/228470

Also slowly picking away at website with the SSL certificate is now up and running https://www.onetreehillstudios.com/

Thanks!
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2022 11:22 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2022 11:44
I haven't tried this for a while so I spent some time on it this morning and all I can say is WOW!

This is such a well polished automation simulator, very professional indeed. It really shows just what AppGameKit is capable of.

The trailer and website are looking great as well!
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2022 14:48
Thank you Zaxxan! I remain a huge fan of AppGameKit it is a great framework to build from.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2022 07:16
Epic work. Should try ur hand at some cpp or python maybe u could replace Rockwell studio. Ur app makes plc learning fun.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2022 22:37 Edited at: 8th Sep 2022 22:38
thanks for taking the time to provide some insight on Automation's past, present and future for this month's newlsetter, JD
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2022 14:27
Haha Smerf yeah for software that costs thousands a year RS Logix still isn't where I'd like it to be. And then there's TIA Portal... But not enough time!

Thanks again everyone, summer is coming to close here and will be back to programming soon.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2023 00:35
Hello TGC, sorry been so long but time for short update on Automation. I have been tied up with another app (details getting posted here shortly) but after this is released I will be getting back to Automation for some much over-due updates and additions.

In the meantime, the Game Development World Championship accepted my submission (it was an honor just getting asked to nominate myself...) and have Automation up on their site here https://thegdwc.com/games/1e0723ae-30ab-4c6c-930b-4176442544f7.

There is long wish list of updates so will try to get something prioritized and release a bunch of smaller updates to get the ball rolling. Will be another couple months but certainly not dead...

jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2023 01:13
Steam Puzzle Fest 2023!

Automation on Steam now!
Score Table Jr. on Google Play!
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2023 01:54
Some fun with 3D physics in AppGameKit while working out a new level for Automation. Only the motor objects in the below video are imported (and they are just for show), everything else is created native with AGK:
Automation on Steam now!
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2023 03:13
Finally a new update to announce! Still a lot on the to-do list but excited about getting this much done.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1698690/view/3689061762067268894
Automation on Steam now!
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2024 23:42 Edited at: 10th Mar 2024 23:43
Announcing new update version 1.106 for Automation! Includes a huge Logic Block update with more features for existing blocks and a few new ones. Also a much needed update to the User Instruction Manual...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1698690/view/4123679966418423946

Happy Automating!

Edit - also this is my first big entry into the AI generated vector world and I don't think I can go back...
Automation on Steam now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:14:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:14:38