Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / All web browsers suck on Win10

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 02:01
Ever since I started using Win10, chrome leaks memory like a stuck pig! I avoided FF for over a decade due to how slow and sluggish it was. Hearing that it's way better today and so much more memory efficient I thought I'd try it out. Now I have a lot of tabs open but what it shows in task manager isn't accurate of that. (I don't know if the number is suppose to show process count or not) I counted the tabs open on FF and it's actually 59. Does FF run a new process for each tab like Chrome? I don't know. As for chrome, I wasn't counting the tabs, it's a lot. And Edge has 1 blank window open, so I don't know what that 8 count means, maybe additional extensions? One thing is clear, 14GB of ram to run a few dozen FF tabs is ludicrous!

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 02:24
Sweet Baby Jesus on a Cracker... you need to take those browsers out back and shoot them.
Personally I use Edge (Cadmium)., and I'd prefer Edge (Spartan) but eh, they stopped Developing and Supporting that with the source not likely to be released anytime soon... so that's unfortunate.
In any case while I will use Firefox when Google Services (mainly YouTube) are playing silly buggers with Edge (which they do most major overhauls) but other than that I avoid Chrome like the plague.

I don't know what it is about that Browser but just having it installed on my system leads to a massive increase of E-Mail Spam and Access Attempts on most of my commonly used Sites.
And I'd say it's just coincidence; but literally EVERYTIME I install and run it once., it's a near instant bombardment until I uninstall it again... just too dang coincidental at this point.

There are a few other Browsers out there mind., some I do hear some decent things about from time to time from Friends who are still trying to convince me to turn to the Dark Side :ahem: I mean Linux.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 16:22
On Win7, chrome ran a lot better. Didn't use FF much back then. At work I use linux but it's still either FF or chrome. And most other alternatives out there are still based on chromium anyway.

I've also noticed that having FB open really draws on the CPU. I relaunched FF, keeping the same tabs open. At first it was only 500mb of ram. Then I started to click each tab (which apparently it doesn't actually load them on start until I've focused it). Very quickly it climbed into the gigabytes. And as I refreshed more FB tabs the CPU climbed to 50%. So I'd say FF still has very poor memory management and FB is just horribly written.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 16:32
Don't modern browsers just use what's available, for performance purposes?
2002 - Present
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2021 01:41
Quote: "Don't modern browsers just use what's available, for performance purposes?"

Yes, most modern apps on most modern systems in general, the OS has gotten pretty good at maximizing use of available ram both for single app workloads and multiple at the same time. One app using a large portion of ram isn't a bad thing unless it becomes unable to share the ram as more applications run and ask for it.

Quote: " And as I refreshed more FB tabs the CPU climbed to 50%. So I'd say FF still has very poor memory management and FB is just horribly written."

I think this is more a FB problem than a FF problem. FF has never hogged near as much resource as chrome on any of my win 10 machines, i never use FB though
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2021 21:52
Firefox was an amazing lightweight browser. Then it got popular. Then it became bloated.
Chrome was an amazing lightweight browser. Then it got popular. Then it became bloated.
Edge was an amazinHAHHAHAHHAHAh sorry I can't finish that sentence.

Vivaldi is where it's at..... until it gets popular I guess.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2021 10:05
Quote: "Edge was an amazinHAHHAHAHHAHAh sorry I can't finish that sentence."

NoNoNo, don't even say it!!!

I gave up on FF to as it became unusable, tried Brave and a whole bunch of other browser and settled with the Chrome as its the only one so far that's been consistently reliable, and do not even get me started on the sham that is windows 10......

You know, after all these years of using Windows 10 there are still some settings I can not find!!!, XP was prized from me by force when my XP machine died and I replaced with a Vista machine....yeah, nuff said, needless to say after subjecting myself to the torture that is the Vista experience I was eager to jump to 7 which I actually became to like after service pack 1 anyway!!, I thought 7 was pretty stable (for windows), dont even ask me about 8, had a tablet with 8, used it twice and got rid....again, nuff sad.

10..... well again forced on me I was quite happy on 7, but then once upon a time I was happy with Windows 98SE and Visual Basic 6, I dont miss SE, I do miss VB! lol

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2021 01:31
I used FF for work due to the extensions way back in 2007. It's been slow and bloated for quite a long time, but it's always used more ram than chrome for as long as I can remember. When folks as me why I have 32GB of ram, I tell them it's so I can surf the internet.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:39:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:39:45