Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / Best way to learn LUA for this engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the best form(s) of learning LUA for this particular engine? I have a compiler and debugger ready to go. I have coded with Roblox LUA before, but it was obviously connected to their engine specifics, so I want to know for this engine.
mojoyup1528
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I found the guide on Steam and Ive been following things. The one thing I notice is MoveUp and SetPosition are not working on entities. The only way I can get it to work is by turning off Collisions but I dont want to do that.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2021 10:12
AGK does not use Lua, MoveUp and SetPosition are not AppGameKit functions .... are you sure you're in the right forum?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 8th Jun 2021 23:03
Im curious about learning LUA aswell
when you look at the power of the WickedEngine https://github.com/TheGameCreators/WickedEngine
is it the Wicked Engine you are referring to?
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2021 19:03
He is probably thinking of GAME GURU ... it uses LUA, right?

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2021 20:46
Yup, probably

@fubarpk, WickedEngine is a C++ lib, if you want to use it in Lua your going to have to build a runtime and link the functions but that is pretty straight forward, I have not used Wicked but I have build runtimes with various other engines and Lua, I'd be happy to share some code.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 12th Jun 2021 01:14
@PartTimeCoder

I did manage to get a new compiled version of AppGameKit on the Pi following Tboys instructions, I was just impressed at the power LUA had ideally ide like to try
for the PI as not much room left on my windows Pc to add the development tools likely to be needed just to get it up and running and LUA i would have to
learn from scratch. I just wish there was a dedicated forum to LUAm but maybe its just one of TGC's best kept secrets
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2021 17:04
Quote: "I just wish there was a dedicated forum to LUAm but maybe its just one of TGC's best kept secrets."

They was never very forthcoming with documentation for the Lua side of things when it came to GameGuru so I expect not much will change on that front with Max, also I would hazard a guess and say that any TCG implementation of Lua would be highly targeted for Max and probably not much use standalone, good learning material but not practical code.

The more I look at PI the more I like it, the modern ones are quite powerful I would like to use one in a 'Ben Heck' type integrated computer desk (think oak poxy river table with integrated PC and monitor ... Hey, a man can dream!)

If you want to use Lua with AppGameKit you will need 158million billion terrabytes to install the universe, ah, I mean Visual Studio, but from there its minimal just the Lua/AGK lib, I would not know where to start with PI its certainly on my bucket list but I would probably go with a Linux distro and use my existing tools, I know less than zero about the PI OS

Qugurun
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AppGameKit
Posted: 21st Jun 2021 15:05
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2021 02:41 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2021 02:45
Its way out of date and a very basic implementation of Lua, there is no error or argument checking in the lib, this is frustrating when debugging and causes stupid runtime crashes with script errors like GameGuru, proper error checking should be added to the functions

for example, in my Lua projects I include the following functions

and usage:

doing this ensures that when an error occurs the script, function, line and error message are reported rather than a IMA crash, the same error checking should also be applied to the callback functions.

I attached my Lua header for reference in case anyone wants it, I gave up on AppGameKit for this project because of the EULA and moved it to raylib but I would have liked to use AGK.

What I like about Lua is being able to mould and shape an API to suit exactly what I want, the way I want it, no compromise, abstract as much or as little as I need on the C++ side and it adds 1000% to the usability factor of just Tier1 BASIC, meta tables, co routines, dynamic tables to name just a few.

I think a full endorsed Lua port of AppGameKit would be good.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 07:36:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 07:36:10