Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Screen/Resolution confusion...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFXIV, Fall Guys, Redout
Posted: 10th Apr 2021 23:12 Edited at: 10th Apr 2021 23:23
Hi all,

Back with another question!

So, I'm finding that I'm getting hung up and confused on setting up the screen in AGK:S.

In other engines, you set the screen dimensions, and that's pretty much it.
In GMS, I just set the screen resolution, and boom.. screen is set up.
CTF, I set the screen/frame resolution and, boom.. it's set up..
Construct 2/3, I set the screen/frame resolution and, boom.. it's set up.
GDevelop, I set the screen/frame resolution and, boom.. it's set up.
And so on...

In AGK:S, it's Resolution.. Virtual Resolution.. Percentage Resolution... Display Aspect... Scissors... Base resolutions...
I read through the documentation for each, and still don't understand it. Some of it seems redundant.
It all has my head spinning. I just want to set up a screen size to work/play within, and it seems so much more convoluted than that.
Are *all* of those things really necessary to set up a simple 1280x720 (for example) screen? Why?

Why does AppGameKit require all this additional info for something that's done with 1 step in any other game platform I've looked at; most of which have produced very successful games, without all the scissors and virtual resolutions, etc...

Not trying to be a jerk about it. I'm genuinely that confused.

I put AGK:S down again for a bit because I was completely lost and frustrated at how to just set up a game screen. I'm determined to learn this...

So I'm back asking to see if maybe someone can point me to a better explanation? Is there a more direct explanation of all this?

Thanks a bunch.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2021 00:31
The percentage system is a system wherby your app can adapt to multiple resolutions for differing devices
This is a good tutorial for the percentage system
If you ware used to dealing with fixed resolution then i would set my virtual resolution to the same values as my window size
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2021 01:10 Edited at: 11th Apr 2021 01:10
All the bells and whistles are mostly for games that needs to do strange stuff to adapt to mobile platforms. If you just want a simple fixed resolution game for windows, try this:

Wolfsong73
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFXIV, Fall Guys, Redout
Posted: 11th Apr 2021 03:45
Thanks for the info/help.

That makes me feel a lot better lol.

When I read all this stuff in a manual/book, I assume I need to know all of it.

Seems I don't (necessarily) need to.

I would like to eventually create mobile games, and I guess that's where the "weirder" stuff comes in? For now, I'm content to just focus on Windows, while I'm learning, etc.

Thanks again everyone.
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2021 22:23
Virtual Resolution seems weird at first, but it's a really great feature. If you want your game to use a 1280x720 resolution, set that up as your virtual resolution and then all the commands will work according to that. Like SetSpritePosition(poop,640,360) would set your sprite at the center of the screen. This virtual resolution then gets stretched to whatever the actual resolution of the display is. Great for building apps and games that will display on a variety of devices without having to add a crap ton of code to your project. You can set the real resolution to what's best for the device you're running on with commands like GetMaxDeviceHeight() and GetMaxDeviceWidth() and then let AppGameKit handle stretching your virtual resolution to that. Of course, this doesn't take into account aspect ratio so you might still need to make up some code for that. But generally speaking, most devices display in 16:10 or 16:9 (or their vertical equivalent) these days so....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:18:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:18:27