Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] 3D object and texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2021 14:38 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2021 20:49
Hi

Can someone help with an image and object problem.
I can wrap a single texture png fine, but the UV layout ive exported from blender doesnt seem to be aligned?

As an example to everything ive tried and still clearly missing something.
Ive created a 3d obj model asset forge (exports as obj + mtl) and used blender to smart unwrap the mesh, but cant get it to wrap the model in agk.

Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2021 23:29 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2021 23:30
Is that a kenney model?
Could you post the model and texture?
FPSR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Did they not attach?

It is, Its built using asset forge blocks and that exports as an obj with an mtl, which I believe agk doesnt support. It imports ok in unity as is ( ie obj and mtl) but I cant tax my single brain
cell anymore to start learning that.

Asset forge will export textures but as single sheets so you get one metalGreen(Clone).png and one metalLight(Clone).png (as per the mtl). If there is a way I can combine them to wrap the car I'd be interested to know, but I thought I needed to use blender uv layout to unwrap the mesh and then use the loadimage in agk, (hopefully attached previously as well)

I guess Im just making it more complicated than it is.

Just tested the above car obj attached and it seems ok in windows model viewer as well.
Ive attached the mtl, if helps. Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks
FPSR1
Years of Service
User Offline

Unfortunately I seem to have the old ....

You cannot send or receive personal messages until you have at least 3 approved posts on the forum.

Hopyfully this is the third
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2021 22:00
FPSR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you I'll give it a go.
FPSR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ended up using Milkshape to export as a direct x file and then loadchildren with meshimage. Dont know if thats the right/best way to get Kenny's objects loaded but it worked.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2021 19:51
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Wavefront Objects are made up of 2 Files

The Object (*.obj) and Material (*.mtl)
Now depending on the Exporter., somewhat depends on what information is being stored in each of these Files... that is to say that certain elements, can be in either.
UV Texture Coordinates for example are ALWAYS in the Object File... BUT the Layout and Packing can be stored in the Material File.
While all Material Information (i.e. Lighting Type, Associated Images, etc.) this is all stored in the Material File.

A major oversight (imo) with AppGameKit is that it doesn't handle ANY Material Generation., meaning you ALWAYS have to manually load Images and Assign them... but worse is because of this it basically doesn't have an MTL (Material) Loader for Wavefront Objects; which can lead to your said situation where it's NOT loading the UV Maps properly.
And what makes this worse is that Kenny Models are NOTORIOUS for Terrible UV Mapping., as they essentially use Default Automatic Projection; which is good for a "Starting" Point not for Final Mapping.

The Vehicle you've posed for example., really needs A LOT of TLC sewing UV Shell seams and generally creating more singular shells over half a dozen that in some cases are individuals faces rather than shells.

Now as a side note., most of the Kenny Packages also come with .FBX and an older version that is compatible with AppGameKit (which again why the FBX Importer for AppGameKit hasn't been updated to support up to the most current 2020 Release; instead of still being 2012 remains baffling to me., as it should more-or-less be a case of simply updating the SDK used) ... but you do have to keep in mind that each individual Sub-Mesh is going to need it's own Texture for some Models; and there is no way to specifically define that on-load.

Personally I'd recommend using Blender to "Fix" Issues you're having... it's a pain to learn, but it's AS fully featured as more Professional Solutions while being Free; and is in Active Development.

Beyond this., I think the community NEEDS to be more vocal to TheGameCreators about more fundamental features for AppGameKit that have been sorely needed for many years.

Proper Support for .FBX and added support for .glTF
These are the two most common 3D Formats presently used and widely supported.
Second would be to add Automatic Generation and Loading of Materials / Textures... with new Functions to "GetTextureFromObject" (for example) that will return the Generated ID of the Loaded Texture., I'd also suggest the return of the Checklist Feature from DBP.

It was an excellent versatile function that allowed the output of multiple data points (such-as a list of Textures / Animations) that were stored in files.
And that would be another automated feature of 3D Formats I'd HEAVILY recommend that are needed... Animation.

As it stands adding 3D Animation to AppGameKit is... well it's jumping through A LOT of hoops.
Needing to use DAE for example (which has been deprecated for almost 20 years now)., when File Formats like .FBX and .glTF or even .X have this built-in to the formats.
For some reason when it comes to 3D in AGK., it's almost as if TGC have made it needlessly complicated and long-winded as if to put people off bothering using said feature... and the reliance of Archaic Formats that were Legacy when DBP first hit the market a Generation Ago; is strange to say the least.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:37:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:37:02