Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / My Foray into 3D in AGKS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2021 08:36
Trying out importing an FBX into AGKS. This took about 4 hours until I figured out how to assign textures to the various meshes. Because this model was created for another engine (iclone, Unreal etc) I had to assign parts of the model to the 4 texture maps used in the model in Ultimate Unwrap 3d then using 3DXchange 7 separate the mesh groups into 4 sub meshes. diffuse and normal maps proved no problem, but getting alpha and the other PBR texture maps are not working. In conclusion so far not that impressed in the way AppGameKit handles fbx/obj models and texture import. I could see this could be a major issue for multi map models in a game environment, especially if there are a lot of models in a 3D game. On the other hand it was my first experiment with 3D in AGK.

In AGKS

In iClone

We are now fully operational - that is, we are in a constant flap instead of having isolated confused situations.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2021 17:23
I've only been playing with AGK's 3D for short while, and make all of my own models in Blender with very simple (low poly) geometry. Using DAE file type the texture mapping comes through for these simple models (every time there isn't issues with the model itself...)

As far as I know I'm limited to the SetObjectNormalMap() and SetObjectLightMap() functions but I have been rather impressed with the results compared to flat albedo image. I have yet to find success taking nice looking models from the internet, reducing poly count and trying to tailor to my uses, but that may be a watershed moment if it happens.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2021 14:31
I see Peppermint Bay isn't as sunny as it used to be.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2021 22:12 Edited at: 30th Apr 2021 22:18
The lighting on the back wall appears to be inverted. Is it hand painted or lit by normals?
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2021 01:19
From my screen shot the three textures (floor, backwall panel and the door thing) are all from Textures.com with Normal Maps. Door has a light map (blue strips.)

I am having issues with the sun direction/ambient lighting. The north wall (heading in +Z direction) gets nice lighting, I think the west wall in the north corner should be similar with the angle I have it but still tinkering. This is screenshot of the north west corner where the sun should be lighting up both panels.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2021 05:17
As you have presented the texture there: The shadows on the bevels are on top, if the lighting is supposed to be from the top then the shadows should be on the bottom

If you reduce your SetShadowRange() it will make the edges of your shadows more crisp
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2021 14:40 Edited at: 1st May 2021 14:42
I had not looked at the SetShadowRange(), apparently I was still using default -1 for full camera range. I played around with it but can't notice any change on the back wall normal map shadow, but the shadows cast by 3D objects are much better.

Sorry I'm missing where the shadows are on top of the bevel? This is screen clip I just took with the normal map for the north (right wall) turned off.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2021 21:54
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2021 00:56 Edited at: 3rd May 2021 00:59
Oh ok yes I have light coming in at an angle, so the normal map edge is catching the light correctly I believe. However the entire west wall is shaded?

This is my current setting: SetSunDirection(0, -1, 0.5)

Is this a location for the sun or pointing direction? Setting SetSunActive(0) seems as if the normal map is not used at all so I'm thinking my sun direction.

When I tried moving in X direction SetSunDirection(1, -1, 0.5) I loose that bevel shine on the west wall. Again I have not played around a lot with it but noticed this didn't light up as I expected.

Screenclip with sun moved to 1 in X direction:

edit - I should note in the screen clips that back wall plane is at Z = 12, so light is not shining directly down.
double edit - I should just try these things out before posting, adding -1 in X direction is shining on my west wall. So the sun direction is a pointer I just need to play around with I think.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:16:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:16:14