Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / my unofficial app game kit youtube tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
these are videos i created with the goal of sharing what i know.

i started with a few with vanilla agk basic games/projects in the next parts i will go into depth on how i create games with my framework, if it wasn't very effective i wouldent have bothered porting it to agk.

thats the youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-_HP4F7j-JFtGBJiX7OwBRTXk_F-bPfN

that's my github repo:

https://github.com/yoel123?tab=repositories

search for app game kit in "find a repository" this will show all the agk repos i have.

if anyone needs my help personally i have some free time up to the 29 this month (after that im not sure if ill have time to teach). but i always answer emails.

my plans are to teach everything i know about game programming.

i want to port my framework to the 3d version of agk.

i want to teach you how to create all the game types/mechanics i know.
i also want to teach pathfinding (flow field) procedural gen (celular automata and two others), psudo 3d (billboards in space).
screen shake effect, gui and many other stuff i can code.

very ambitious and will take time as i need to make other instructional videos (unrelated to agk).

i dont know how much demand there is to all this, but i believe agk with all it has out of the box and simplicity, has huge potential.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2021 15:53
Nice, I'd like AppGameKit to have more presence on YT I would make some myself but my equipment sucks and I have an attention span issue thing!!

I did a little work on celular automata a while ago using the rules by John Conways "Game Of Life" however I restricted it to a boundary and warp, I could not quite get my head round an infinite grid, lol

I like flow field propagation but its not as fast as AStar on huge areas but its great smaller ones.
Good luck with the channel.

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2021 16:38
I just skimmed through some of your videos, a small word of advice, if your going to teach people to use AppGameKit you want to focus on the default language and not a custom framework, what people need to learn is how to build their own frameworks and the only way they can do that is understanding the default language, I would make some separation from your frame work and BASIC tutorials.

Most people will find your videos, see its your custom framework and skipp to a video of the default code, I would and indeed I do, when looking at other libs I ignore other peoples wrapps and focus on the raw code.

Maybe a good introduction would be to "lets create a framework in AGK" and recreate your frame work with the viewers step by step, then make some games/examples with code the user knows and understands because he wrote is with you step by step.

Look at OLC:ixelGameEngine videos, a whole community sprung up around it, the format works the channel is busy.

Show people how to make your frame work, then teach them how to use it while also expanding it, start with the basic stuff and expand from there.
yoel12344
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2021 19:20 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2021 19:24
PartTimeCoder:

very nice implementation i will run it later.

from what i remember its simply create a 2d tilemap with random empty(floor) tiles then do another run with a bunch of rules to see which tile "dies" or stays "alive" (wall or floor).

ill have to show drunken walker first. some games like splanky and binding of isac use whole random premade rooms side by side(in a tilemap) ,like they have a db of rooms to randomize.

thers also the "i dont remember its name" algorithm creates random rooms and connect them with corridor by the middle of both rooms.

about pathfinding, i don't know what's big for you, we implemented flow field with p5.js (bad performance out of the box) to test i made the map 10 times bigger and made a ton of calls and it ran smoothly i could barely believe it. its great for zombie games where you have 100 actors hooming on a single target. supreme commander uses flow field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efr6OuKgRhk

somtimes called Dijkstra Maps :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ExLEY32RgM

Quote: "Most people will find your videos, see its your custom framework and skip to a video of the default code"

you are correct i have seen this happen.

but people use the agk functions without knowing what they do, like a black box (and its stracture, where do they store each sprites data? who knows and it dosnt matter).

my framework is based on the same concepts used by flashpunk and flixel.

in the days of flash these were dominant "engines" thousands of developers most of them hobbyists and some even amateurs( i was one of them years ago), none of them really understood what's going on under the hood and they had no problem with that (and used it over vanilla as3).

it was also very easy to read other people's code as it was all structured the same (that's exactly how i learned game dev).

very few like me actually understood the engine's code intimately, for me it came naturally after using it for half a year. when flash died i ported it to many languages and engines agk is one of the best hands down, with ease of use and functionality.

again you are right, i don't think i can motivate people to use my framework like the creator of flixel, or the creator of flashpunk chavy ray or Zachery Lewis (his flashpunk game week vids were epic). or even that guy you mentioned with the cpp pseudo 3d engines these people move crowds and influence many developers.

i will consider my options and what you said.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2021 19:43 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2021 19:44
since this was posted in newcomers, i expected newcomer tutorials.

then your tut's begin that they are not for newcomers to programming, but for programmers with some experience that are new to AGK.

perhaps this is better off in the Classic forum?

either way, i'm glad to see tutorials, regardless.

thanks for sharing.
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
yoel12344
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2021 14:33 Edited at: 10th Jul 2021 14:35
i have made new tutorial vids, most are for creating the avoider game that's the first part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YQvchbJkg&list=PL-_HP4F7j-JFtGBJiX7OwBRTXk_F-bPfN&index=9

and the whole playlist is in the first post in this thread.

for any questions or comments im here (even bad ones im always ready to improve).

mods can i double post to update the community or shod i open a new thread for each example tut i create?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2021 00:01
i personally don't mind you double-posting when you have something to add to the topic although it should be more than "i posted a new video".

if that's all you have to add, come back occasionally, post an update which might prompt some to subscribe @ youtube for such notifications, like it did

even if a thread gets locked (in the meantime), the original author can unlock and post.

otherwise, i appreciate your asking the question
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:44:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:44:11