Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / multiplayer network, are they encrypted?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Host and Join network at the following page: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/The%20Game%20Creators/AGK2/Tier%201/Help/Reference/Multiplayer.htm

Are they encrypted?
If not, is there a way to encrypt them?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2021 15:44
I believe its sent as unencrypted raw data,

You could try a simple ROT routine to add basic obfuscation

What platform are you targeting?
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
windows and linux...
is there a basic code sample for this?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2021 13:10
Until 5 mins ago, no .....

A simple ROT system, will take the the string and shift each character by (amount)

I must stress this is a very simplistic cypher so do not use this for sensitive data, you could build on top of it and ROT in many directions by variable amounts, this would be your secret cypher that only your code knows what series of rotations will decrypt.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2021 15:54 Edited at: 20th Jul 2021 16:42
Quote: "A simple ROT system, will take the the string and shift each character by (amount) "

cool

Quote: "I must stress this is a very simplistic cypher so do not use this for sensitive data, you could build on top of it and ROT in many directions by variable amounts, this would be your secret cypher that only your code knows what series of rotations will decrypt."

Shifting in an IP might not need to be changed to be better confusion.

Leaving the numbers legible would cause a misdirection if someone tried to copy and use them manually.

So, this could be helpful in storage of IPs for blockchains or anything sharing IP information for basic obscuring of the addresses on the network.

The list of IP addresses could still look like IP addresses, but really send snoops in the wrong direction when trying to use them without the knowledge they were cyphered.

Of course, the decimals may need to be handled separately to retain a valid order, but...

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2021 21:39
Maybe IP spoofing yea.

for more sensitive data as I said the rotations can be stacked, didn't have time earlier but its this easy ...

As you can see, just nest the calls and mirror the number for decrypt, stack them ten high and I bet any hacker worth his salts would still struggle.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2021 22:00
I have been thinking of using cryptographic nonces to creates hashes with leading desired output for first characters of the hash... like Bitcoin uses nonces for proof of work hashes to have the leading zeros.

Doesn't have to be zeros, or repeating ones either, so building the criteria for the nonces could be done in a way that uses other nonces etc for stacking those too for crazy complexity.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2021 01:40 Edited at: 21st Jul 2021 03:01
This ROT does not keep it safe either?
No matter how much it shift the bit, it shift them 'TOGETHER'?

Hmmm....
But how do I send the 'key' safely over the internet in the first place?
How do https work?

Hmmmmm......

This should be a working c# version for AGK-Sharp...

Something like AppGameKit using a c++ crypto library would have been fine for both basic and c++ version of AppGameKit?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:19:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:19:02