Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Code folding

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2021 10:12
Hi just thought I would tidy up my program with a bit of code folding however when I save it and reload it then code folding has undone itself . Could some kind person shed some light on this ? Thanks for reading.
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2021 10:33
It's been reported many. many times and TGC just doesn't care. You'll notice that your tabs also don't stay organized and will reload in alphabetical order no matter what. You'll also notice they haven't provided any "fold all" functionality in Studio, which would have somewhat alleviated the problem.

Nothing you can do about it unfortunately.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2021 12:41 Edited at: 28th Jul 2021 13:14
That is such a shame was really happy to be using this so I thought . I better report it to them again , Thanks for the answer.
just tried every thing I can think of to get it working and have failed. I have officially reported this bug on Github and if anyone is having the same issue I think you should too.
The more the merrier . If anybody knows a workaround please share.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2021 14:04
Quote: "You'll notice that your tabs also don't stay organized and will reload in alphabetical order no matter what."

I've taken to only naming my additional source files with names that start with N or later in the alphabet, but that - and many other QoL things about AGKS that have gone unanswered and untouched for years - are excellent examples of TGCs "We hear you. We just don't care" attitude.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2021 14:15
Well that's 2 bugs I've encountered so far, luckily they are things that I can put up with but would like to see fixed . Will be interesting to see the new update when it arrives.
So I could use N1 N2 N3 etc for additional source files . I tend to write all my games in one lump anyway but nice to know.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2021 16:25
Quote: "Nothing you can do about it unfortunately."

Sack that useless IDE and build my own!

I am thinking Godot type editor, 2D, 3D and script, the IDE agk deserves!!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2021 20:47
Quote: "I am thinking Godot type editor, 2D, 3D and script, the IDE agk deserves!!"

I've just returned to Classsic. If I need vulkan for some reason, I can just load up my code in Studio and compile there... but seeing as I'm an old fart stuck deeply in the low-res pixelly days, I ain't got no use for them vulkans.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2021 22:03
With my eye sight everything looks like pixel art!!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2021 23:44
You should go see a doctor.... maybe even .... drumroll... Dr Mario.

Thank you thank you. I also do birthday parties and bar mitzvahs.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2021 00:11

I would not be giving up the day job just yet! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2021 10:03
Just tried code folding in classic and that doesn't work either . Is this correct?
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2021 12:49
Edit > Preferences > Editor > Code Folding

You might want to add keyboard shortcuts in Keybindings too.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2021 13:21
Oh well went into preferences and enabled code folding in Classic and that does not work either . Just have to wait for an update I suppose.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2021 14:08
It does work but it does not fold much .. at least Studio folds IF's.....

Heres a tip

use FoldStart/FoldEnd Keywords and you can fold anywhere

OH, do you meant it don't save fold info?

I found a git hub post from 2015 on the geany page discussing saving cold folding and it seems they decided it could not be done ... for some reason, I beg to differ tho!, I might take a look at the plugin framework.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 09:43
Yes I used foldstart and foldend and yes that's what I meant. none of it saves. Is it possible to download earlier versions of Studio where it was working or has it never worked.?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 11:50
Worked is a subjective term here, its never even been an after thought!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 12:04
Quote: "Is it possible to download earlier versions of Studio where it was working or has it never worked.?"

Studio is held together with duct tape and tie-wraps. Code folding has never worked right. You can fold/unfold as you code, but nothing gets saved. Everything opens unfolded.

Quote: "It does work but it does not fold much .. at least Studio folds IF's....."

Quote: "I am thinking Godot type editor, 2D, 3D and script, the IDE agk deserves!!"

You and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of what an IDE should look like and how it should act Automatically adding a foldpoint on IF statements is awful. There are too many occasions where you have half a million nested IFs all bunched in together and it would just result in a confusing mess of foldpoints in the left column, defeating the pupose of the whole thing.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 14:59
It can get messy, In Purebasic I have my If and EndIf set as folds but NOT ElseIf, Select, EndSelect but not Case, I also set most keywords with a End attached as folds

^^ Now thats an example of code folding settings that are on another level.

At the end of the day, once a section of code is done, in and working I no longer want to look at it, I want it out the way, fold everything I am not working in, in large files this really helps my screen refresh rate! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 16:16
This level of customization is definitely more convenient. If nothing else, I'd like to have at least to ability to turn off autofolding and just use foldstart/end myself.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 16:58
Holy Cr...., I thought I was a control freak, I bow in respect Sir

"I command this script to fold here, and only here, let it be done"
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2021 18:57
Yep!

If it's not done the way I would have done it, then it's worthless.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2021 01:34
You guys should try ATOM
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2021 10:21
I use Classic with a plugin for folding/unfolding. This is one of the reasons why I think Classic is superior to Studio.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2021 17:01
Hey I'm gonna see if I can find that plugin .
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2021 08:57 Edited at: 4th Aug 2021 09:00
https://plugins.geany.org/geanynumberedbookmarks.html

You need the plugin for v1.24 of geany

https://plugins.geany.org/geany-plugins/
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2021 19:50
Hey thanks for that gonna try and get it now looked everywhere I could think of and came up with a blank.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2021 12:17
ATOM I'll go and take a look.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2021 13:34
What I did in the end was learn to use " #include" which does the same sort of thing in a way sort of . There we are not too bothered about code folding now although it would be cool if it worked as it should . Anyway #include does what I need it to do and is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it . I was building my programs in one big chunk which is fine until you get to about 9000 lines of code then it take ages to do anything as the screen refresh rate goes to hell. At least with what I've learnt today that will be a thing of the past . I also tried #insert but it didn't work as my code has variables in it and it suggested I use #include instead . Well there it is , It is cool when I learn something new . Bonjour
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2021 14:44
Dam!, no wonder you was struggling.

bear in mind #Include does not run code, you can declare functions and vars but any code outside the function that is not a type, global, constant or function will not execute.

I often work in the main.agc when testing code but as soon as I have a few functions grouped I ship them out to an include, ideally your main file should contain your game framework, your state machine and such and nothing else, one file for camera control, another for player, enemy, that thing, this thing ... when you hit a but with BuggyGameObjectX you know straight away to look in the GameObjectX.agc file, it makes life so much easier.

also, but this comes with experience, as AppGameKit has no kind of class system or "code compartmentation" I prefix function sets with Player_* Enemy_* .... and have no include call a function from another include unless its a global include of course with support functions, the only place I call those prefixed functions from is the main code ... believe me in a large project it pays to keep the call flow simple, again when you hit a bug you know exactly where and when that function is called and not peppered through the project code, and inside your libs use as many support functions as you need, if your DoThis functions also does that, and that then you need more functions, I need to get the index of something in a type array with .find and check the return, 3 lines, a function MyLib_GetIndex(), job done, simplified the code slightly and made it more readable.

Quote: "
You guys should try ATOM
ATOM I'll go and take a look."

Yea I quite like Atom, both the Love2D and AppGameKit extensions work well, its a decent editor after some key binding tweaks.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 13:55
@Pfaber1 Did you try the plugin I suggested?
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 15:45
I tried but could not work out how to download and install it . Github is not very user friendly . I found a way around my problem by using #include which gives a similar result . Thanks for the info .
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 15:53
Yes my problem originally was screen refresh rate when you hit 8 or 9 thousand lines it's pretty bad . Although I'm on a better computer now so maybe it would be less. Who knows the code folding may be fixed in the next update .
Happy coding
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 19:52
Quote: "Who knows the code folding may be fixed in the next update ."

LMAFO!!

Always the optimist I see

To be honest most code editors would struggle with a single page of 9k lines, that is a bit excessive, I highly rate the PB IDE but even that has its limits, maybe at the very least a "Fold All" shortcut could be added ... maybe

I would love to get my hands on the studio source, heck the IDE and basic compiler source and I'd even pay a monthly sub, this thing has so much potential it really is a shame to see it stagnate.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 21:32
Well I had a play with PureBasic again yesterday and when I type in AppGameKit it works and with PureBasic it's a pain just getting it to do simple things . I think the AppGameKit syntax is better than PB . The reason I was looking into it and I did once write a game in it is the fact that it is Basic (all purpose) which is what I want from a language. AppGameKit is awesome and gets the job done if you just use it for games but I want to use it for other things as well and I suppose I can . However I will suggest to TGC that they add windows forms to the mix either built in or as DLC . I know Nuklear is cool but it's only for classic and I need it for studio. They could probably do this in a couple of weeks or so. Is AppGameKit Basic (all purpose) or not.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 22:35
Quote: "However I will suggest to TGC that they add windows forms to the mix either built in or as DLC"

Already working on it: https://github.com/PartTimeCode/WinUI-Plugin

There is a couple of issues and the wiki needs a lot of work but most of the base gadgets are in there, and no, I didn't wrap PB's functions this is pure API, if anyone would like to contribute to make it complete I'd welcome all the help I can get, its already been a mammoth task.

Quote: "They could probably do this in a couple of weeks or so."

No, wrapping an entire UI lib takes time its not a quick "include a lib and compile" each function has to be wrapped for each object.... see my code in the repo, its very involved.

Quote: "with PureBasic it's a pain just getting it to do simple things"

See I don't understand that, of all the languages I have used PB is among the simplest, AppGameKit well yes its probably the simplest language ever but the 2 are very different beasts and in all honesty its not fair on AppGameKit to compare them ..

Quote: " I know Nuklear is cool but it's only for classic and I need it for studio. "

Nuklear does work in studio, I am sure of that
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2021 23:18
Sorry yes you are correct it does run in studio but not using Vulkan . I read that somewhere but gonna go and check to make sure . Yes AppGameKit tier 1 is one of the easiest languages I've come across and also one of the best . I've put a few years into AppGameKit and only a few months into PB . I do think that PB is also awesome and is not just aimed at games . Anyway I love the simplicity of AppGameKit and I can actually write programs with it now maybe not the best but I'm getting there and I think it would be great if AppGameKit was an all purpose language .
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 00:01
I think you might be right on the Vulkan thing, not sure my old laptop does not support it so ... I'll never know lol

Making AppGameKit all purpose is very doable indeed but I think that is going to take a community effort, after all the App part suggest that it already is but not "out of the box" unless you go code it. there are many great UI solutions but I agree having something built in would be fantastic, wxWidgets would be great to have in there, I might look into that one at some point.

When I "big up" PureBasic I am not trying to push users away from AppGameKit in fact its the very opposite hence my plugin tutorial thread, I would like to see both languages survive the test of time and they make a great union, I get it though, AppGameKit is a pure joy to code with.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 09:38
I see you are well on your way with the GUI . You may need to give me some instructions on how to download it . I can sort it once I've got the plugin .
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 11:29
Quote: " one big chunk which is fine until you get to about 9000 lines of code "

Holy sh.... And I get all murder-y when I can't fold in a two page document. At 9000 lines, I would be knee-deep in bodies and gore.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 12:25
@n00bstar, yeah, under those circumstances I also would be in a murderous rage!

@Pfaber1, Pre-Alpha can be found here :https://github.com/PartTimeCode/WinUI-Plugin/releases

Like I said its not exactly stable or finished but there is enough in there to make a basic popup dialog, there is a small issue when closing a window parented to the main AppGameKit window but I think I know whats causing it (flags issue), as you will see from the function set I opted for a PureBasic type "one function fits all" approach as this saves on the amount of exported functions needed, SetObjectText for example sets the caption text of button, checkbox, option, groupbox etc, AddObjectItem for ListBox, ListView ... and others when I add them, the menu system is also incomplete.

The plan is to tidy up what is there and and make everything that exists complete then start adding more objects/gadgets and a toolbar, I kind of got side tracked making a tool to rip the wiki info from the source code hence why its a bit of a mess ATM, still much adoo!

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 21:10 Edited at: 25th Aug 2021 22:39
Gonna go and check it out now. I'll post back and let you know how I got on .

Hi yes looks like the business and it works fine with Vulkan so far. I have the Nuklear plugin which is really cool but doesn't work with Vulkan . Does look like a huge task to get it all done . I think if it were me I'd call it the official AppGameKit GUI App.
Or something like that . I'm surprised TGC haven't done it them selves as they would of made quite a bit in DLC.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2021 15:32
Well I'd be happy to strike a deal with TGC but in all honesty I don't do this for profit I do this for the love of coding. I'm a Painter & Decorator/General Builder (Jack of all trades, master of none lol) I code to relax and stress my brain a little, mental gymnastics, keep the old grey matter ticking.

I cant really call anything "official" unless its endorsed and promoted by TGC, again I'd be happy to DLC it and earn a few pound notes but that was never my plan, my intention always has been to make AppGameKit better today than it was yesterday because I want this product to succeed and stay relevant, TGC being a British firm and all that post Brexit stuff (yea, I'm a nationalist, sue me! lol)

As for the render engine it does not matter as this is pure WinAPI, well, 95% I do of course need some of PB's lib functions, Nuklear is fantastic and my plugin is in no way a substitute or replacement its a different beast entirely, IM mode UI's are great but still a learning curve for those used to Retained mode UI's plus a MDI (multi document interface) and MMS (multi monitor support) is impossible with IM mode (I know IMGUI has that docking thing which looks fantastic but Nuklear does not).

I don't ever see TGC adding a native UI solution as its a massive amount of work, Win32 for windows, GTK for Linux and god knows what for MacOS, then Android, IOS, Py, HTML5 .... the best we could ever hope for is a cross platform IM mode that still poses the MDI and MMS issues, maybe a wrap of wxWidgets or QT ... Not sure if that covers all platforms though, so to be honest I give TGC a pass on this one as its a big ask.

As for the plugin itself, I found the issue with closing a parented window I was right it was a flag issue (as most things are in WinAPI) and I am working on expanding the menu functionally to support sub menus, then the toolbar should not take to long its a simple API for that, I looked at ribbons but don't think I will add them as A. I don't like them and B. the API is a complete mess, when I have something I consider to be stable I will post a WIP thread ... its getting close to that target, I'm pulling the public repo for now though as the current code IS unstable.

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 01:31 Edited at: 27th Aug 2021 01:33
I code because I enjoy it however if someone wants to pay me for it that'll be fine also . I should imagine that in a year or so I will be pretty competent at writing apps with AppGameKit , This year I have really improved a lot not an expert yet but on the way. could really do with getting the tutorials to fill in the gaps . Pretty expensive but might try and get them this year and work through them cover to cover . sounds like a plan . Or maybe I should just plod along and learn as I have been doing and cross each bridge as I come to it. Every game I write I set myself new goals and challenges to overcome . Seems to work quite well. Happy coding .
huggy70
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "To be honest most code editors would struggle with a single page of 9k lines, that is a bit excessive,"

If I look on some of my old programs written in old AmosPro 30 years ago they got easily some 6k lines of code with no delay when editing the code and folding works in Amos and gets nicely saved along.
If all this rocket science and computing power has taken us so far taking 9k lines of code excessive these days there must be sth. seriously wrong
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 13:53
Well maybe that point of view is a bit of solipsism on my part as my machine is kind of old and clunkily, my van was broken into and along with most of my tools my decent laptop was stolen and my desktop fried, I grabbed a cheap laptop and have stuck with it, it has been a slow couple of years work wise for some reason I cant think why! so funds are limited, maybe a laptop that was born this decade or a decent desktop would be much faster, as with the rest of the world my opinion is the only one that matters! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
huggy70
Years of Service
User Offline
Sad thing is I would not be surprised if Studo IDE would struggle even on modern hw
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 10:22 Edited at: 21st Sep 2021 10:27
Still no code folding save status in the September update unfortunately and the issue that pfaber1 raised on Github has been closed as a 'duplicate' so it's looking very unlikely the editor is going to be updated to support this.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 12:10 Edited at: 21st Sep 2021 12:40
Types got added, thats a small bouns.

A simple "fold all" shortcut would suffice, even Visual Studio does not save my folding status, it has a shortcut though so not so painful
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 13:46
Yes I noticed I tried it in Lua or Python can't remember which and that didn't save the folds either . I think it's just how it's supposed to be .
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 13:54 Edited at: 21st Sep 2021 13:56
Quote: "Still no code folding save status"

it was already posted so pfaber's was closed as a duplicate of an existing issue which is still open/on the "to do" list.

Quote: "A simple "fold all" shortcut would suffice"

request for this was added in june.
[My Itch.io Home] [AGK on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:44:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:44:24