Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Memblocks or just loading stuff in memory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2021 13:58
Which is better, loading things in memblocks and deleting stuff when not needed or just loading into memory the conventional way and deleting when not needed?
Gigabyte Board/ AMD 3.3 Ghtz Quad core/8GB Ram/Nvidia Geforce 1080 GTX 8GB/1TB Western Dig. SSD/Windows 10 Home/Dark Basic Pro 9Ex

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2021 14:22
It makes no difference, its still in memory regardless, the only difference is the way you interact with it.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2021 14:30
@PartTimeCoder

Thank you
Gigabyte Board/ AMD 3.3 Ghtz Quad core/8GB Ram/Nvidia Geforce 1080 GTX 8GB/1TB Western Dig. SSD/Windows 10 Home/Dark Basic Pro 9Ex

hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I insert all my assets into an array in an init function and assign global variables to them for control later.

In the deinit function, I do this:

Works for me and keeps everything tidy.
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 13:24
Quote: " I insert all my assets into an array in an init function and assign global variables to them for control later."

Thank you, I will probably end up doing that. I'm ok at basic arrays I guess, but need practice on more complex arrays lol

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 16:19
Conventional is better as Memory Blocks are VERY Slow Commands in AGK...
This is especially true in regards to Creation and Destruction scaling somewhat exponentially with size.

Try timing loading 1920x1080 Images as Images., then as Memblock Images; you'll see what I mean.
In Dark BASIC Professional they're fast enough to really be an excellent and powerful too... functionally in AppGameKit they're just as versatile, but performance wise; it's so bad that you'll want to avoid using them as much as possible.
Unseen Ghost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2021 05:20
Quote: "Conventional is better as Memory Blocks are VERY Slow Commands in AGK...
This is especially true in regards to Creation and Destruction scaling somewhat exponentially with size.

Try timing loading 1920x1080 Images as Images., then as Memblock Images; you'll see what I mean.
In Dark BASIC Professional they're fast enough to really be an excellent and powerful too... functionally in AppGameKit they're just as versatile, but performance wise; it's so bad that you'll want to avoid using them as much as possible. "

Thank you Raven, that's good to know

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:14:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:14:05