Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Advice for selling products?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This post isn't game development related in anyway. I am posting here simply because I previously frequented this community quite often and I trust the advice given.

I have some physical products that I have created and would like to get into shops and sell. The problem is, I am having trouble getting any shops attention. I don't want to spam here so I won't list the product, but without going into too much detail, there are only 3 or 4 brands of this item on the market currently. I would like to say mine is an improvement over the competition. This item can also be personalized at a cost of less than a non personalized retail on the market currently. I'm already listed on Etsy but

So what gives? How can I generate more leads and sales?
~Fps Creator since 2008~
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 03:02
In general terms Marketing... in order to increase sales, people HAVE to know your product exists and where to buy it.
Now how to get it into Physical Retailers., well that's a little more difficult because in general terms most Retailers do not purchase products "Directly" per se... instead you're usually dealing with a Logistics and/or Wholesaler whom you trust.

So, for example within my Parents Pub (and this is true of many Pubs) they only stock products from a Tesco Subsidiary called "Bookers"
The Retailer that I currently work for gets our Products from AF Blakemore, Costa and Country Choice.

In fact as the Assistant Manager, I'd quite often see Company Reps coming into our Store trying to essentially upsell us on Brand Specific Displays, Branded Equipment, New Products, etc.
And what I *HAVE* to tell them is that., our Stock and Displays are all determined by Head Office and we Order based upon what they make available through our Logistic Channel; and they also control what Promotions we run, with orders being entirely at our digression as to what WE need in said Store.

And this is something you will likely hear a lot, outside of Independently run store... but then their footfall and sales are likely not going to be useful to you.
What you'll need instead is to go to various websites of Chain Brands and find the number of their Purchasing Department., as they will handle Purchasing; and then your aim there is to try to sell them on your Product.. as in what Quantities you can Product., where they can be shipped to., etc.
Trust me before dealing with such, you're GOING to want to be able to answer anything they could possible ask; as such be sure to have your Production, Logistics and relevant figures all squared away.

Outside of that, there is nothing wrong with going "Independent" via Amazon or NewEgg.
These are legitimate market place business' that you'll be guaranteed (esp. if you have low competition of similar / same products) to have a larger audience that you can reach without expensive advertising... although also remember you can purchase to be a "Featured", "Partnered" or in Amazon' case part of their "Prime" Products.

Beyond this there is always creating your own Digital Storefront... things like Squarespace and Wix are cheap to get; and very simply to create; then advertise on Facebook, Twitter or Forums for people looking for such products; just to get that word-of-mouth out there.

Then of course there are always the Traditional Market Stalls., most places have a County / Local Market that is run every Week or Fortnight; and it's usually trivial to get permission to have and setup a stall to begin selling wares.

The key here is to target what will net you the biggest audience from which to grow., because as you do... this in turn will open up new options.
Robert F
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2021 23:04 Edited at: 26th Aug 2021 23:07
Thank you for the advice! I kind of figured as much as far as the retail/wholesaler relationship, as it's like that over here as well, for almost all industries. I have thought about independent, I do web design as well and own a web server so none of that would be an issue.

Unfortunately it's such a niche low price product (something you'd find next to a register at checkout), I don't think I will be able to get a high enough conversion rate for the advertising cost. I run both a Food Delivery Service, as well as a Laundry Delivery Service and have been dealing with Facebook Ads for some time now and the conversion rates can be tough.

Each piece cost me around $1 from material to box, and sells for around $3 wholesale, $5 retail. (The original cost is based on current supplies and not buying bulk. I could possibly get it to around $0.50/piece)
~Fps Creator since 2008~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:56:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:56:11