Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D Models - Newcomer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
I am a newcomer to 3D Gamemaker and have been messing around with importing 3D models.
I have downloaded a couple of trees from 3D Cafe and have converted them from .3DS to .X and placed them into the game.
They of course appear untextured.
With the (recommended) 3dexploration software I have tried to "get" the various texture files saved as .bmp to place into the 3D Gamemaker.... but....
I cannot work out how to do it!!
Can anyone please tell me how it's done.... I would be really grateful.
Cheers
Geoff
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 18:47
Your probably not going to get a lot of help for The 3D Game Maker here, as 99% of us use Dark Basic.

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 21:08
I have the same problem with dark basic. Textures do not load with the model unless they are flat colors. I tried to load a gun model with alot of reflections on it and it came out white because I guess dark basic does not support that kind of effect. oh well I whant to know if dark basic lets you load models with skins on them because I have milkshape and it lets you skin models.

Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
Lincolns
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again
I know most of the posts are related to Dark Basic, but I gotta start somewhere.
In the 3D Gamemaker Booklet says that the texture files must be in BMP or DDS format and are typically generated by the 3D package used to convert your model. The textures are internally referenced by the model itself, so do not have to be renamed. They will appear un-textured if you do so.
It's obviously possible to import 3D models and texture them to appear as they should, but as a beginner I haven't got a clue what all this means!!
I think I need a step by step explaination on how to do this with winconv3ds or 3dexploration.
Can someone help??.... please....
Cheers again
Geoff
Lewiji
Years of Service
User Offline
If you export to .x in milkshape it works, make sure you have the 'mesh only' box unticked.

<intelligent, witty comment here>
Lincolns
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
Have just downloaded Milkshape v1.7....
Tried to import the .3ds file.... that was OK....
then tried to export as DirectX file.... didn't work... program seized.
Am I doing it right??
Cheers again
Geoff
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 12:27
When you save a 3d object a bunch of confusing looking text is saved into a .x or .3ds or .obj or whatever. This data tells DirectX the characteristics of the 3d object, this includes size of object, vertices, texture file, special texture effects, so on, and so forth. However, the format isn't smart enough to track where you keep the texture, so you must always keep it in the same directory as the object file. I just reread this post and I hop I don't offend you or anything, I seem to be talking down in a couple of places.....

good luck!
juvy

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 21:23
use the 3ds2x command on the 3ds object you exported.

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 21:29
He uses T3DGM not DB. Export using Direct X(JT) mode...

Dont forget to Join the Forums!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:51:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:51:26